Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot topics > Travel News, Rumors, Scuttlebutt and Gossip
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Travel News, Rumors, Scuttlebutt and Gossip Heard a hot travel news flash, a travel rumor, scuttlebutt, gossip, something juicy? If so, share it with us here.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
jimtbay
Go outside! Be active!
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 39 jimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushback

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodega View Post
TDEW, what this has become for TA's is that shoppers expect us to give up our pay to gain their business and that is BS. There isn't much to give. I have never given up my pay to any client and never will. In our industry, we call shoppers, bottom feeders. Many companies, like Levi Strauss, doesn't allow discounting without their permission. Levi Strauss has been known to take their merchandise away from their distributors when non permitted discounting takes place.

The cruise industry also limits out of country sales. They want their products to be on as much of a level playing field for all their distribution point as possible. The internet has changed sales tactics and as such, rules keeping having to be tweaked or instituted.

What the internet has done to sales is make price the main factor which shouldn't be the only factor in making any purchase. Rudeness seems to be a major product of internet users.
I appreciate your information. In the hotel industry, we have terms for guests, but I certainly do not post them or use them to a consumer or potential consumer directly.

The internet certainly has allowed consumers to make decisions on price. I cruise online sites for most of my retail shopping. Look at Best Buy and the challenges they are having. I can go to Best Buy, look at the product, and buy it cheaper on Amazon.

I do not see any travel agent companies or individuals advertising the benefits of their services. How do you get the word out? How do you create value? It is a daunting task in this environment. I see the postings on Consumer Traveler, there is an automatic response, "you should have used a travel agent" but I am sure it falls on deaf ears.

Here is my question. How does a travel agent bring new clients into their business in today's internet environment?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtbay View Post
I appreciate your information. In the hotel industry, we have terms for guests, but I certainly do not post them or use them to a consumer or potential consumer directly.

The internet certainly has allowed consumers to make decisions on price. I cruise online sites for most of my retail shopping. Look at Best Buy and the challenges they are having. I can go to Best Buy, look at the product, and buy it cheaper on Amazon.

I do not see any travel agent companies or individuals advertising the benefits of their services. How do you get the word out? How do you create value? It is a daunting task in this environment. I see the postings on Consumer Traveler, there is an automatic response, "you should have used a travel agent" but I am sure it falls on deaf ears.

Here is my question. How does a travel agent bring new clients into their business in today's internet environment?
I am not one to ask, as all my business is referral. I have never, ever advertised and don't have a website. The agency I work through is owned by a tour company that is the largest in the west, yet you will never have heard of them. They don't have to advertise, but they do have a website for informational purposes only. You have to call them to work with them. No vending machine bookings.

I understand looking around at prices, but there is a difference in seeing a good deal and expecting a business to give something up just to get your business. In travel, online 'shoppers' don't value service and most of us don't want to deal with them because of it. Look at how dumbed down air travel has become due to lowering standards to the bottom rung.

We are such an isolated society now, we don't think about what local business have to offer other than price. Best Buy employeed my son. Buying local keeps taxes in the area for your police and fire protection. Amazon refuses to collect taxes. Right now, Amazon has contacted our family business. hoping to get us to participate with them due to a client of ours who sells products that Amazon doesn't have but one business in that market. We have been given an insight to how they operate and believe me, it is an eye opener. Talk about controlling. I see why they think they can argue with the governments on collecting taxes.
bodega is offline   Reply With Quote