Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anything goes So, you can't figure out where to put it? Put it here.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Question Baseline Magazine's Surprising iPhone Survey

Baseline Magazine has surveyed iPhone users for signs of addicted behavior.

Here are some of the surprising results.
  • 65% of respondents said they can't live without their iPhone, but 99% said they could give up Facebook.
  • 15% said they'd give up sex for a weekend rather than give up their iPhone for the weekend.
  • 70% said that since purchasing their iPhone they've gotten rid of their iPod or other MP3 players.
  • 55% said they've given up using their film or digital cameras and use the iPhone as their one and only camera.
  • 40% said they have gotten rid of the dedicated GPS for their cars and are using the iPhone instead.
  • 58% said they don't stop using their iPhone just because they're at a party or at a restaurant or at home for a meal.
  • 85% said they use their iPhone in the bathroom while sitting.
Are you surprised by some of these? How do stack up against those surveyed?

I know I've used my iPhone as a GPS quite often, both for walking, and for driving when in a rental car.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

None of this surprises me. Phones in general seem to be as addictive as crack. We attended an indoor concert this past week where at least 1/2 of the audience had their cell phones on the entire time for photo ops and videoing as we could see the lights of each and everyone one of them due to sitting in the balcony. Rude!!! Then at intermission many continued by spending the break texting. Sad!
bodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I don't find it surprising, all you have to do is look around you. See the person at a party standing off by the wall, or the couple in a restaurant and both are looking at their phones.

I've come to rely on my android for many things, but still don't use it much for phone calls, very rarely text and almost never have it set to ring - I often keep it on airplane mode. The only time I use the phone as a camera is if I'm in a store and see a unique product that I want to investigate, or at home as a reminder of exactly which product I want to buy again.

Last edited by tdew; 07-01-2012 at 12:17 PM.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

OK, I use my iPhone for a great deal of help during my day, but really, 15% would rather give up a weekend's worth of sex, rather than give up their iPhone for the weekend. That's beyond my imagination.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
OK, I use my iPhone for a great deal of help during my day, but really, 15% would rather give up a weekend's worth of sex, rather than give up their iPhone for the weekend. That's beyond my imagination.
Guess it is their phallic symbol...just look at the way they hold it
bodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #6
AaronK
Platinum Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 99 AaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

My Android has become a tool in my life, but I'm not that addicted to it.

However, I will always carry a digital camera, when I want a camera. On my last cruise, I saw people carrying iPads as cameras. I also always want my "real" GPS with me. I have been in a situation where the phone was useless as a GPS as I was in an area with no data coverage.
AaronK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Aaron, I totally agree with you.

I too saw people carrying around IPads as cameras when our cruise stopped in Estonia. It looks ridiculous.
I almost always have my camera with me and will use it for pictures, even though the phone camera is pretty good.

I collect pictures from the family for posting on myfamily.com and really hate it when the only ones we have of someone are from a junky phone. There's not much that can be done with them.

The GPS - it's probably good to have both kinds. I've found times when one or the other worked better. It wasn't always a question of coverage - just better maps.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote