Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes > Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tech Support Got computer, Internet, or network woes? Is your smartphone not working right? Got virus or spyware problems? This is the place to get help, and give tips and advice.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Exclamation Facebook just switched your default e-mail address

Have you noticed that you likely have a new primary email address listed as your Facebook contact email address, and in all probability it's an address you've never used in your life, nor want to use.

Facebook has been quietly replacing members' default email addresses such as ones from Gmail, Yahoo and members' ISPs with "@Facebook.com" addresses. Facebook launched their own e-mail service option a few years ago, but it's generally been moribund. Well, they decided to resuscitate the service.

It seems that nobody really noticed or understood their April announcement that they were updating email addresses on the service to make them consistent, and that meant changing members' posted email addresses to the "@Facebook.com" address, whether or not members wanted the change.

It's typical Facebook, in my opinion, completely disregarding the desires and chosen settings of their customers, and not informing them of the change in plain, understandable language.

Facebook didn't even give members the chance to decide what their email address "@Facebook.com" would be. They assigned the address. You can change the address, "one time" if you desire, however.

Of course, in order to change the address, you've got to know it exists.

You can revert your contact email address to your previously chosen address.

Click on your name after logging in. Then click on "Edit Profile." Then click on "Contact Information." From there you can unhide your old address, and hide the Facebook address. That will enable you to show your old email address as your contact email address. You can't delete the "@Facebook.com" email address. You can only hide it, so it can't be used.

If you click on "Add/Remove Emails" then click on "Edit" beside your username, you'll be at the screen which will permit you to change your Facebook.com email address one time. Once you change it once, you'll not be able to change it again in the future.

I don't know about you, but the utility of having a Facebook account is quickly being more than overshadowed by the poor conduct of Facebook, and I'm getting to the point I will cancel the account and delete my content.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
jimtbay
Go outside! Be active!
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 39 jimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushbackjimtbay has closed the door for pushback

It's typical Facebook, in my opinion, completely disregarding the desires and chosen settings of their customers, and not informing them of the change in plain, understandable language.

I am positive they do not view users as customers. Maybe in public, but behind the scenes I am sure we are categorized differently.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

I noticed it but my original gmail address still works so I continue to use it, which is hardly ever.
bodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

It's easy enough to change back - I did it yesterday. Of course, that's assuming you want to have your real email address displayed. I don't have a problem with displaying mine because it's only available to the people I know. For the most part, friends usually send regular email - or might use the message option on facebook if it's just a quick note.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodega View Post
I noticed it but my original gmail address still works so I continue to use it, which is hardly ever.
If I understand your comment correctly, I assure you this has nothing to do with disabling your email. It has to do with what email is displayed as your contact email at Facebook, and the link shown. If the @Facebook.com address is the one displayed instead of your gmail account, when people try to send you email via the Facebook link showing in your account, it will go to a Facebook inbox, not your gmail inbox. That's the problem.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
Loonbeam
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 249 Loonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Since I primarily use FB for games and mindless chatter as well as photo posts, I don't really get too upset about these things. If you know me you probably have my email, if not, send it to facebook.com so I can ignore it
Loonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdew View Post
It's easy enough to change back - I did it yesterday. Of course, that's assuming you want to have your real email address displayed. I don't have a problem with displaying mine because it's only available to the people I know. For the most part, friends usually send regular email - or might use the message option on facebook if it's just a quick note.
I agree it's easy to fix, but why should you have to fix anything. What gives them the right to arbitrarily change your contact email address, especially if they don't even tell you they're doing it.

In my opinion, Facebook is the most arrogant IT company on Earth, easily outdoing Apple, Intel and Microsoft, and that's saying quite a bit.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I just figure that it's their game and they don't charge us to use it, so if they want to make changes I'll either accept them or I'll leave. They may be arrogant, but the others have an obligation to their paying customers to live up to expectations.

I have my email set to only be usable by "friends" - since they already know other methods to reach me, it's not a big deal.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
If I understand your comment correctly, I assure you this has nothing to do with disabling your email. It has to do with what email is displayed as your contact email at Facebook, and the link shown. If the @Facebook.com address is the one displayed instead of your gmail account, when people try to send you email via the Facebook link showing in your account, it will go to a Facebook inbox, not your gmail inbox. That's the problem.
They can use what ever as I won't see it anyway. Anyone who knows me, can call me at home, message me or use my 'real' email address.
bodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
susanliber
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 105 susanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I set up an email account just for Facebook and I rarely even look at it except to delete all the mail in it.

I too only use Facebook for games and mostly mindless chatter.