Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot topics > Travel security
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Travel security Discuss your thoughts on safety and security issues on land, air and sea. Discuss terrorism and travel here. Discuss you concerns about travel at home and abroad, in hotels, ships, planes, and while touring.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default Things that might delay you at security

Even though you know what should and shouldn't be in your carry on bag, sometimes things get by you.

This morning I found out that it's not a good idea to carry a bunch of foreign coins in your carry on luggage. Since we're going to be in many different countries and I had some leftover currency, I decided to bring it along. Between the Euros, Danish Krone, Swedish Krone, Norwegian Krone the package got pretty heavy. It also shows up on the xray machine as a big blob of metal.

Then, to make matters worse, my carry on had to be taken apart and sent through the scanner again. I felt really dopey when one of the little zipper bags was found to have a small folding knife in it. The bag was stuffed with little things that you throw in at the last minute - "just in case"
It was supposed to go in my checked luggage, but somehow got into my carry on.

My friend, who came from TX also had an unusual experience. Without thinking, she wore a blouse that had snaps all down the front in place of buttons, snaps on the pockets and even on the sleeves. Of course, it caused a problem with the metal detector. She had to be patted down.

We're off on our adventure tomorrow. Lucky for me, the family is still home, as somehow I left without my phone and my ebook. Very glad there's such a thing as overnight mail!
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

Kip Hawley former head of TSA recently wrote in the Wall Street Journal, explaining his triumphs and failures, and where TSA, in his opinion, should go today, that despite the very small risk that small knives and box cutters are today in the post-9/11 world, allowing them back on board was and apparently is considered too emotionally charged for the American public.

Personally, I believe that's nonsense. I think the American public would welcome being about to carry a small pocket knife with them on planes again, the same knife that many carry daily, though box cutters, I believe no one cares about and could easily stay on the prohibited list.

In fact, I think most American's would welcome back many items which are currently on the prohibited list, but not directly listed, even though they shouldn't be, like camera tripods, which most every TSA TSO says, they're like a bat or hockey stick which can be wielded like a club, so you can't bring it on board.

Have a great trip. Return home safely at its end.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I was impressed though that they found it in the bunch of stuff that I have to carry on so that there's no chance it gets lost. It was a really small pocket knife (maybe 2 inches total when closed.

oh well, I should have been more careful about where I packed things.

Thanks for the nice sendoff. it should be interesting. Hope the family at home doesn't fall apart without me there...
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote