Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes > Books
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Books Read a good book recently? Travelers are always looking for good books to enjoy on vacation, on the beach, enjoying the breezes on the veranda, or on that long flight. Give us your recommendation and a review.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairho View Post
I'm also more of a fan of paper. The temptation with an e-book to do a text search for "who dun it?" is way too strong.
but you're not tempted to turn to the back of the book?
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
Loonbeam
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 249 Loonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Ned - I don't recommend the iPad or Kindle Fire for extended e-reading. The backlit screen is much harder on the eyes, especially in a darkened plane for example. That's why I carry both a Kindle and iPad.

While I like paper books, the storage space was one issue but more importantly was the weight of carrying 6-7 books per trip, even if I was going to leave some behind at the end (on an upcoming flight to CA I'll easily read 2 novels each direction just on the plane)
Loonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Those in favor of leaving books behind as you've finished them, have never traveled with my husband! There's no way to hide them from him, and if I tell him I'm leaving them on purpose, he helps me by putting them in his bag.
I'm much better off with my books on my Sony ereader.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loonbeam View Post
Ned - I don't recommend the iPad or Kindle Fire for extended e-reading. The backlit screen is much harder on the eyes, especially in a darkened plane for example. That's why I carry both a Kindle and iPad.

While I like paper books, the storage space was one issue but more importantly was the weight of carrying 6-7 books per trip, even if I was going to leave some behind at the end (on an upcoming flight to CA I'll easily read 2 novels each direction just on the plane)
I recognize the iPad and Kindle Fire problems, but I want more than an ebook reader if I'm going to get a tablet. I'd like to eshew my laptop for short trips, for example. I'd also like to stick to one unit. In addition I want to be able to get books from more than one vendor. The iPad "3" visibility is much better than the "2" though it still has problems of glare. I also an not enamored of the Android operating system, which is a problem since most tablets are Android based (I haven't totally counted them out, however), and the Windows tablets are awful (I have counted them out).

One thing I have in my favor is that it would be rare for me to sit outdoors and read, even on the veranda of a cruise ship. That definitely helps in the glare problem.

There is no one good answer for me at this point, though at some point this year I'm going to get something.

My backup plan is the Kindle app on my Laptop, but then Mrs. N. would have nothing for separate reading. I'm looking to get two devices.

I think this might make a good column later in the year. My search for a tablet, primarily for e-reading, but also to do other travel things.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
tdew
Über Poster

Ned, The NY Times just had a story that suggested it's best to have a dedicated device for reading books because with the tablets that do more it's too easy to get distracted by email or a thought to go and look something up.

My daughter has the Kindle fire and likes it a lot. It's not so big that it's uncomfortable to hold.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #16
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdew View Post
Ned, The NY Times just had a story that suggested it's best to have a dedicated device for reading books because with the tablets that do more it's too easy to get distracted by email or a thought to go and look something up.

My daughter has the Kindle fire and likes it a lot. It's not so big that it's uncomfortable to hold.
I looked up the story. Thanks. It was very interesting. I'm not too worried. If I like a book, nothing moves me away from it. If I'm not very enthusiast about reading the book, but I want to persevere in case it improves, I often take breaks now, with no tablet device. When traveling, I go to my iPod and watch a TV show or movie, for example.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
Loonbeam
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 249 Loonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

If you share one Kindle account, one of the advantages to having two devices is you can read books (and sych positions) on both. So Mrs. N can use the Kindle and you can use the iPad or whatever and switch when appropriate

Tell you what, if I decide to buy the iPad3 (or whatever its called), I can sell you my iPad 1 cheap as a spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
I recognize the iPad and Kindle Fire problems, but I want more than an ebook reader if I'm going to get a tablet. I'd like to eshew my laptop for short trips, for example. I'd also like to stick to one unit. In addition I want to be able to get books from more than one vendor. The iPad "3" visibility is much better than the "2" though it still has problems of glare. I also an not enamored of the Android operating system, which is a problem since most tablets are Android based (I haven't totally counted them out, however), and the Windows tablets are awful (I have counted them out).

One thing I have in my favor is that it would be rare for me to sit outdoors and read, even on the veranda of a cruise ship. That definitely helps in the glare problem.

There is no one good answer for me at this point, though at some point this year I'm going to get something.

My backup plan is the Kindle app on my Laptop, but then Mrs. N. would have nothing for separate reading. I'm looking to get two devices.

I think this might make a good column later in the year. My search for a tablet, primarily for e-reading, but also to do other travel things.
Loonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loonbeam View Post
If you share one Kindle account, one of the advantages to having two devices is you can read books (and sych positions) on both. So Mrs. N can use the Kindle and you can use the iPad or whatever and switch when appropriate

Tell you what, if I decide to buy the iPad3 (or whatever its called), I can sell you my iPad 1 cheap as a spare
Great advice. I didn't know that. I though each device had to have a separate Kindle account. Thank you very much.

I think I'll skip buying the iPad 1 though. I really don't like that version at all.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #19
Kairho
Senior Ferroequinologist
Über Über Poster

Rep Power: 419 Kairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesKairho has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Great advice. I didn't know that. I though each device had to have a separate Kindle account. Thank you very much.
You can have up to 6 devices on an account. We use 4, an iPad and a Mac each, without problem. Each user has their own sign in.

We both also share an Amazon Prime account, too, but still use our own individual Amazon accounts to do so.
Religion limits civil liberties for imaginary reasons. The surest way to lose many of our cherished civil liberties is to end the separation of church and state and let religious leaders determine the rules. --David Drumm
Kairho is offline   Reply With Quote