Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot topics > My trip > My Travel Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

My Travel Accessories This is the place to talk luggage, organizers, phones and phone service for travel, travel headsets, electronics for travel entertainment, GPS units, or other accessories and devices for travel.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Thumbs up Facetime on the iPhone

We finally got new iPhones, as some of the important apps I use were taking forever to load and run, mostly due to their size, and Mrs. N's iPhone was dying a "battery death." We had 3GS's for more than 3 years.

A friend who lives far from us already had an iPhone 4S so we decided to try Facetime, Apple's built-in video communication program.

Wow, was it fantastic. Far better than Skype, which we also used this evening to test both. Skype and programs like it are very good for international communications, but this for in US communication was great!

The speed of the new processor has made Facetime better than ever, and the camera improvements really make a difference too.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Loonbeam
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 249 Loonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I'm holding out for a 5 since my 3gs is still happy and I don't feel like buying new cases, etc

That said we use facetime on her iPad and my MacAir all the time when I travel. Did some testing and its far more bandwith friendly than other apps as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
We finally got new iPhones, as some of the important apps I use were taking forever to load and run, mostly due to their size, and Mrs. N's iPhone was dying a "battery death." We had 3GS's for more than 3 years.

A friend who lives far from us already had an iPhone 4S so we decided to try Facetime, Apple's built-in video communication program.

Wow, was it fantastic. Far better than Skype, which we also used this evening to test both. Skype and programs like it are very good for international communications, but this for in US communication was great!

The speed of the new processor has made Facetime better than ever, and the camera improvements really make a difference too.
Loonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

I think if my 3GS was happy, I'd do the same, but it wasn't, and I was 2GB from having no space left on my 32GB model, so I got a 64GB 4S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loonbeam View Post
I'm holding out for a 5 since my 3gs is still happy and I don't feel like buying new cases, etc

That said we use facetime on her iPad and my MacAir all the time when I travel. Did some testing and its far more bandwith friendly than other apps as well.

Last edited by Ned; 01-05-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

Sigh, my old phone is in need of being replaced. I dread having to go look as all I want is one that turns one and off and makes a clear call. I don't text, I don't take pictures, I don't want to receive email on it. Sorta like shopping for a washing machine. I don't use any feature but one...ON
bodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Bodega, I understand exactly what you mean. Sometimes we don't need all the bells and whistles.

I ran into a problem when I tried to replace my washing machine. I made my comparisons and found the one I wanted to buy. Told the saleswoman what I wanted (all she had to do was write it up) She proceeded to tell me how outdated my choice was and that I really should get the front loading one. When I got annoyed and told her that I'd already made my choice and wasn't interested in hers - she told me that I should probably get someone else to help me! I did - in a different store - and I told the manager of that one too.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdew View Post
Bodega, I understand exactly what you mean. Sometimes we don't need all the bells and whistles.

I ran into a problem when I tried to replace my washing machine. I made my comparisons and found the one I wanted to buy. Told the saleswoman what I wanted (all she had to do was write it up) She proceeded to tell me how outdated my choice was and that I really should get the front loading one. When I got annoyed and told her that I'd already made my choice and wasn't interested in hers - she told me that I should probably get someone else to help me! I did - in a different store - and I told the manager of that one too.
Good for you! I have a front loading with very few bells and whistles but I was at my cousin's house this summer and hers lookls like a 747's dash. I couldn't figure it out and that is just ridiculous! It is my belief that men are behind this. You know, the better mousetrap? Just leave things that work alone! We still have a functioning rotary phone in the garage
bodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Arrow

Wow. That was outrageous on the salesperson's part, and how stupid could she get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdew View Post

Old 01-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I couldn't believe it - I guess the customer isn't always right anymore.

I loved a sign I once saw in a bank in PA. On the counter in the teller work area was a sign that said "The customer is not interrupting your business, the customer IS your business."
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
susanliber
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 105 susanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennessusanliber has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I cannot believe she wouldn't help you !! I use a front loader at work....I am glad I didn't buy one when I got my new ones.

And my phone doesn't do much either...I take a few pics on it but usually it is just for telephone calls. I don't text either.

But sometimes I look with envy at the smart phones....but I am all ready too much of an internet addict.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Loonbeam
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 249 Loonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesLoonbeam has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Lol, my 3GS ended up dying last Thurs so now I have a 4S. Honestly I could have lived without it, but Siri is fun (and kind of useful while driving) and the front camera is nice.
Loonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote