Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By land
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By land Renting a car? Staying at a hotel? This forum's for you.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Lightbulb Hotels using Linen Technology Tracker to stop linen theft

This is neat.

Three hotels, one each in New York, Miami and Honolulu are now using Linen Technology Tracking patented a radio-frequency identification chip which is designed to keep real-time inventory of frequently misplaced or stolen goods.

Apparently during any given month, hotels can lose 5 to 20 percent of their towels, sheets and robes, and that's expensive.

In addition to stopping thefts, the chips help managers keep proper levels of linen stocks, and order supplies.

The company's concept is similar to the sensors used for automatic toll taking on tolls roads, but these sensors are also "waterproof."

Company VP William Serbin said, "We tweaked the technology, went through trial and error with different types of chips and put them in the correct place. Now, chip life exceeds 300 wash cycles."

The trackers have already busted several robe and towel thieves at the hotels, who were politely asked to return hotel property.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
TPARick
Travel Professional
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 207 TPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Wow, great idea. They could use this technology on cruise ships. The towels being used by the chair hogs could be identified and removed, freeing up chairs.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
TPARick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

So all hotel entries will have senors like dept stores? That will mean I can't take a damp wash cloth to the beach, which I like to do but bring it back at the end of the day or while walking around sightseeing in 99% humidity and will just have to bring one from home. Darn! But I do understand why they are going to this.
bodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

I've generally found that the hotels I stay at near or on the beach either have towels meant to take to the beach, or I just ask if it's OK. You could just ask to take a wash cloth to the beach. I'd bet, in general, they'll say OK. I've never been turned down about taking a towel to the beach.

By the way, according to reports, the Honolulu hotel, which introduced the technology last year, has reduced theft of its pool towels from 4,000 a month to just 750 - a saving of more than $15,200 a month.

I am blown away with the numbers. One hotel is loosing 4,000 towels per month or about 130+ per day. To me even more amazing is they are still loosing 750 towels per month, or about 25 per day even with the tags.

Accor Hotels' Novotel surveys reveal women are consistently more likely to pilfer than men. That surprises me too.

Australian hotel, Mollisons in Victoria, has taken an interesting approach. They are offering guests the chance to buy every item in their room, from the bed to the lamps and everything in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodega View Post
So all hotel entries will have senors like dept stores? That will mean I can't take a damp wash cloth to the beach, which I like to do but bring it back at the end of the day or while walking around sightseeing in 99% humidity and will just have to bring one from home. Darn! But I do understand why they are going to this.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

I take a wash cloth for a variety of reasons along with the beach towels the hotels provide. I put a damp washcloth in a plastic bag and stick it in my beach bag. Is the hotel name listed for Waikiki? I bet I might know which one it is as I know their towels and see them all over the place at night.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
vacationagent
Supporting Member
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 123 vacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesvacationagent has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Those numbers are astounding! Who knew so many thieves lurked?
Old 04-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Arrow

I can't find out the name of any of the three hotels using the system.

Quote:
I take a wash cloth for a variety of reasons along with the beach towels the hotels provide. I put a damp washcloth in a plastic bag and stick it in my beach bag. Is the hotel name listed for Waikiki? I bet I might know which one it is as I know their towels and see them all over the place at night.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

I looked around and they don't want their names noted. I am sure it will leak out shortly!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Arrow

Quote:
I looked around and they don't want their names noted. I am sure it will leak out shortly!
I'm sure you're right.