Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anything goes So, you can't figure out where to put it? Put it here.

Old 01-28-2006, 08:14 AM   #1
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Hi,

I know the travel agents here on the forum put a high value on Travel Insurance, and when I've bought a packaged trip in the past, I've also taken the insurance.
It even came in handy once when I ended up in the hospital instead of in Ireland.
Yet, when I make my own plans, I don't usually think about the need for the insurance.

I just read CNNMoney.com: Five Tips Newsletter about Travel. TRIPSO.com was quoted in it!
The need for Medical insurance and evacuation insurance was brought up and a link to http://www.insuremytrip.com/ was provided.
When I followed the link, the questions asked about the planned trip are difficult to determine.

I've got a trip planned for Summer 2006 to Scandinavia.
There are a combination of 10 people, but all are not going to be there for the same amount of time, dates or places.
All of the airline tickets were secured with Frequent flyer /hotel stay miles.
We also have hotel rooms for a week in Copenhagen booked with Marriott points.

The hotel could be cancelled without penalty up until just before the trip.
The airline tickets could be changed for a fee.
I still intend to purchase some rail tickets and book other hotels, but how do I determine a cost per person since I'd hardly be out any money if the trip was cancelled?
I know that if a medical emergency came up I'd be relieved to have the insurance...

tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #2
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally posted by tdew@Jan 28 2006, 10:14 AM
Hi,

I know the travel agents here on the forum put a high value on Travel Insurance, and when I've bought a packaged trip in the past, I've also taken the insurance.
It even came in handy once when I ended up in the hospital instead of in Ireland.*
Yet, when I make my own plans, I don't usually think about the need for the insurance.

I just read CNNMoney.com: Five Tips Newsletter about Travel. TRIPSO.com was quoted in it! The need for Medical insurance and evacuation insurance was brought up and a link to http://www.insuremytrip.com/* was provided.* When I followed the link, the questions asked about the planned trip are difficult to determine.

I've got a trip planned for Summer 2006 to Scandinavia.*
...but how do I determine a cost per person since I'd hardly be out any money if the trip was cancelled?*
I know that if a medical emergency came up I'd be relieved to have the insurance...
[snapback]19052[/snapback]
Hi T,

I'm not a travel professional, but I too believe in travel insurance and get it for any sizeable trip. May I suggest you call insuremytrip.com on their 800 number. I'm sure they'll help you with your questions.

I don't know which frequent flyer/hotel programs you've used, but you could encounter significant costs if you have to totally cancel the trip for some extraordinary reason. I would suggest you fully research what those costs could be before you call insuremytrip.com.

My wife and I annually purchase Travel Medical Insurance through AMEX which gives us up to $100,000 for emergency medical and emergency dental treatment, up to $100,000 for an emergency evacuation and Accidental Death or Dismemberment coverage, coverage for one visitors round-trip transportation to Your bedside if hospitalized for more than five days, doctor, dentist, and translation service referrals worldwide and Emergency prescription coverage. Any time we are at least 150 miles away from home this insurance kicks in. For people who travel often this kind of coverage is a good deal. We pay about $250/year for the insurance.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
Eileen Sellers
Travel Professional
Platinum Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 76 Eileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

tdew:

Your question is a bit irresistable. If you click on my web link there is a page for insurance, which explains how to use the link. You can purchase insurance using zero value for trip value (0.00). This will calculate your premium just for the insurance value based on the number of days you will be gone. You won't need trip cancellation insurance (which is what trip value is for) -just the medical/evacuation/lost luggage etc. Trip value is used to determine how much money is at stake for non-refundable purposes.

ps. you can also purchase rail tickets on my site (but don't tell anyone I told you).

If you need additonal help or information, our phone number is in the site as well, feel free to call me. I am at the Chicago site. If you do use our site, and encounter any problems please call me because it is important that the site work as well as possible.
Eileen Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Thanks to Ned and Eileen! You've both given me good ideas and things to think about.
I'll look further at them.

Old 01-28-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 453 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Quote:
Originally posted by tdew@Jan 28 2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks to Ned and Eileen! You've both given me good ideas and things to think about.
I'll look further at them.
[snapback]19060[/snapback]
It is always a pleasure T.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
Eileen Sellers
Travel Professional
Platinum Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 76 Eileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

OK, I need help. Terry was great about testing my web site.

The insurance link works fine, but I need to add further explanation about
$0.00 trip value. Which I will do this week.

Terry's computer can't open the RailPass link, not on Depart Chicago or Depart Altanta. We made some changes on Depart Chicago and thought that the changes might be the cause of her browser not opening the link. We didn't make make changes on Depart Atlanta. So we don't know if the link crash for Terry is particular to Terry or to everyone. My computer opens everything.

So if you all are up to helping me out I'd appreciate it if you would click on the web site..go to International Page and click on Rail Europe. If it does or doesn't open for you, please let me know and let me know your Internet Explorer Version..so we can fix the link. If it opens on Depart Atlanta and not on Depart Chicago we would also like to know that. We are playing web detective on finding the problem, which I'm sure we can fix with your help.

Thank you for all your help,

Eileen

Eileen Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:55 PM   #7
tdew
Über Poster

Eileen,

I just sent a note to your guy. I figured out why I cannot get to the site.
The site dpbolvw.net is included in a Host file I have installed on my computer for security.

Terry
Old 02-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
candyharrington
Bronze Poster

Rep Power: 37 candyharrington has closed the door for pushbackcandyharrington has closed the door for pushbackcandyharrington has closed the door for pushback

Ned:

I too carry the Amex evac and med insurance. It is excellent; in fact I often make the joke that we're covered better when we travel than at home And since we travel for a living it's a good thing, but even if we didn't take quite so many trips, I still think the Amex insurance is worth it's weight in gold. In fact an emergency evac can easy run $50 K (and more) and is not covered by most standard insurance policies. You don't even have to have a medical condition -- all it takes is a fall or an accident and for you to need to be evacuated home. So I encourage folks to never travel without evac insurance. And if you buy it for the whole year (rather than per trip) it's really a better deal.

Contact your insurance agent to see if there is a yearly plan to fit your needs. I know AAA has one (in conjunction with their premium membership) but it's not as inclusive as the Amex plan.

BTW Ned, I have the same Amex covereage as you do but I only pay about $150 for my hubby and myself.

Candy
candyharrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:22 PM   #9
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by candyharrington@Feb 7 2006, 05:12 PM
Ned:

I too carry the Amex evac and med insurance. It is excellent; in fact I often make the joke that* we're covered better when we travel than at home:)...

BTW Ned, I have the same Amex covereage as you do but I only pay about $150 for my hubby and myself.
[snapback]19706[/snapback]
Hi Candy,

I suspect my wife and I are older than you and your husband, and may have started taking the coverage after you started.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:33 PM   #10
candyharrington
Bronze Poster

Rep Power: 37 candyharrington has closed the door for pushbackcandyharrington has closed the door for pushbackcandyharrington has closed the door for pushback

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned@Feb 7 2006, 09:22 PM
Hi Candy,

I suspect my wife and I are older than you and your husband, and may have started taking the coverage after you started.
[snapback]19739[/snapback]
Oh, I c Ned. Well we're not exactly spring chickens, but thanks for *that* thought!

Candy
candyharrington is offline   Reply With Quote