Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By sea
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By sea The home port for a floating vacation.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:53 AM   #1
Bridges300
No Avatar

Default Weak response/action by Elliot

Chris really let the Princess cruise passengers whose luggage was lost down. It looks like he did nothing more than write a polite note and quote their answer. When he feels like getting involved he gets a lot more action, and gets a senior executive to really talk about it. Here the couple is screwed and Elliot said tough it only happens to a rare few. He should have done more.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
blakej
No Avatar

Default Lost luggage Overboard. PRINCESS LINE!!

I have read several times about Miriams luggage being dropped overboard on the Star Princess.

It really bothers me that all the compensation she got was a measly $500-00, maybe the price of 4 dresses. I really think it should be readdressed to Princess Lines as see what more they might do about it.

We all know or should know not to put valuables or medications in luggage but one persons clothing amounts to a lot more than $500-00.

One is always advised to take out extra insurance for luggage considering 1 pr shoes may be $100-00, one dress $200-00, more if it is a pair of slacks and fancy top, corselet $150-00, slip and stockings $50 and that is $500-00. Who goes on a cruise with only one outfit.

Yes the Metro Risk Management is in the 18th century if that is what they value a suitcase of belongings at, and what about the cost of the case.

I still think Princess should be approached again and at least offer this lady more money or a free cruise for herself. :evil: :roll:
blakej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
Anonymous
No Avatar

As sorry as I feel for Miriam, I do think she should have bought travel insurance. If the cruise line does settle for the exact value of her belongings, that is telling all comers NOT to bother buying travel insurance. If she HAD bought insurance, she would have been completely covered.

When you move your household, your belongings are covered at about $ 1.15 per pound, UNLESS you buy additional insurance. That means that if they lose your cashmere coat, for example, and it weighs 10 pounds, they will pay for it at the price of $ 11.50, total.

This is the same kind of situation. Without paying for insurance, you are not eligible to be compensated at a higher rate.

She could sue them for negligence, but I think she'd have to do so in the UK, or Bahamas, or wherever that ship was registered. One agrees to that when you get your precruise materials. It is also printed on the tickets.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:40 PM   #4
Eileen Sellers
Travel Professional
Platinum Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 76 Eileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesEileen Sellers has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default lost luggage

I'm new to this forum and I can't find the article on the lost luggage. Is it in another thread? Or is it in a column?

I found it..what a horrible story. I can't believe that it got dumped. First I would want to know who told you, the passenger, that it got dumped? What else got dumped? Why was dumping going on? Environmental agencies go nuts on cruise line dumping. No doubt the bag and it's contents aren't exactly bio-degradable. I would not consider this lost luggage, because you know what happend to it. It isn't lost. It's been disposed of deliberately. She should get a free cruise and should report the incident to any and authorities who oversee dumping by cruise lines.
Eileen Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote