Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Hot tips > Enroute > By land
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

By land Renting a car? Staying at a hotel? This forum's for you.

View Poll Results: Do you make use of hotels with kitchenettes?
Yes 9 36.00%
No 5 20.00%
Only the refrigerator 9 36.00%
Only the microwave 0 0%
Only if they are clean 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2005, 07:02 AM   #1
Gigs
Bronze Poster

I stayed at a great hotel in Ottawa recently complete with kitchen and dining room. I wish I could have saved a buck or two and cooked in it.

But, then again, who wants to cook during their vacation???
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:21 AM   #2
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I like to have the option to have breakfast or lunch in the room and go out for dinner.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
missalf
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 37 missalf rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

If it's not many more $$$ I like to have the kitchen in my vacation room. Why? Well, depending on whatever activities we've been pursuing during the day, sometimes it's nice just to come back to the hotel (Or, not to leave the hotel if it's a resort) and just reheat leftovers from the previous night's dinner, or heat up a snack, etc. Often the setups include a toaster and a blender -- great for making your own frozen drinks.

There are times when you just want to wind down in the privacy of your own room, and having a kitchen helps you do that.

We also get tired of the continental breakfast scene, so it's easy as anything to quickly nuke/fry some bacon or ham and a couple of eggs without having to get dressed to go out.

Anyway, that's why we like it -- but believe me, I do NOT spend every evening/night cooking while on vacation, but it's nice to have those options available.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
dba31498
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 36 dba31498 rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

This is why I like staying at Extended Stay. The last one I stayed at had a regular fridge, stove, oven, microwave, and sink. on top of that, it had wireless web. Nice.
dba31498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
mercwyn
Travel Professional
Diamond Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 174 mercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesmercwyn has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I love to stay at Residence Inns, Extended Stays, Homewood Suites, etc. because the rooms feel larger then a standard hotel room, even if I never use the kitchen.
mercwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:12 PM   #6
vickiburton
Official Commentator
Bronze Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 0 vickiburton rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

I really want a refrigerator for a bottle of wine and some bottled water, maybe some 1/2 and 1/2 for my morning coffee. Trust me, the stove at home doesn't even see any action.
vickiburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:08 PM   #7
tdew
Über Poster

Rep Power: 287 tdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennestdew has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I don't know if it's the same in all Residence Inns, but the one in Salt Lake City had a policy that they would go to the grocery store for you and stock your refrigerator with what you specified. I didn't make use of the service, but it sure sounded like a good idea for those in the city without a car.
tdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:23 PM   #8
AaronK
Platinum Poster
No Avatar

Rep Power: 99 AaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesAaronK has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Thats been the policy at every Residence Inn I've stayed at. Convienent if you don't know where the market is.
I've never made use of the service myself. I tend to eat out when I'm away.

My one issue with Residence Inn is that unless you are in a studio, I've always found the bedrooms to be claustrophobic. I don't know why, but it just seems to be.
AaronK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:08 AM   #9
REDJIM
Gold Poster

Just give me a coffee maker(with extra coffee purloined from the Front Desk) and a refrigerator for my Hooch! That's hog heaven to me.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:27 AM   #10
Annette
No Avatar

Do I want to be COOKING on vacation, as in a full dinner? Probably not. But I do appreciate having the kitchen.

I like (as Missalf said) being able to actually make use of leftovers. And there are times when all I want for dinner is something easy to make, easy to eat and easy to digest - like toast and soup for instance. If I can have that in a nice, quiet, comfortable environment then I'm all for it.