Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Foodies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Foodies Hungry? Got a recipe? Just eat at that fabulous new place? Come on in!

Old 10-31-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
wrp96
Über Poster

Rep Power: 156 wrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default Mexican cornbread

Our office had a "halloween" party today (read as excuse for food). Since I have been asked by multiple people for the recipe for my mexican cornbread, I thought I'd share it here too.

1 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
4 eggs
1 can cream corn
1 onion, finely chopped
1 can diced green chiles
½ can jalapenos (add more or less depending on how much heat you want)
1 cup shredded cheddar/monterrey jack cheese
1 cup cornmeal (I use ½ cup each of white and yellow)
1 cup flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

In a large bowl beat together butter and sugar. Beat in one egg at a time. Add in corn, onion, chiles, jalapenos, and cheese.

In a another bowl combine together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into the wet mixture.

Pour into greased 13x9 pan and bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
bodega
Travel Professional
Über Über Poster
No Avatar

We were at a chili cookoff yesterday with lots of different types of cornbread, but not this one. I am curious on how the cheese cooks into the mixture. When you cut the bread, does it string out or does it cook down and you just get the flavor? It sounds very yummy!
bodega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
wrp96
Über Poster

Rep Power: 156 wrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fienneswrp96 has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

It just cooks down, not stringy at all. It does give the cornbread a very dense consistency though - very moist.
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
jjjenny
Supporting Member
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 76 jjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

It sounds good. I can't wait to try it.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
MagicHatter
Trusted Member
No Avatar

Rep Power: 25 MagicHatter rounded up the flight crew talking about boarding

This sounds really good, I love regular cornbread so I'll have to try this one day. Thanks for posting the recipe !
MagicHatter is offline   Reply With Quote