Go Back   ConsumerTraveler.com Forums > Grounded? > Anything goes > Politics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
TPARick
Travel Professional
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 207 TPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesTPARick has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Default Can we get this guy to move to the US and elect him President?

WE could DESPERATELY use a leader like this in our country !!!!

Does anyone know where we can find one?

America Needs A Leader Like This!
Prime Minister John Howard - Australia

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.

Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques.

Quote:

'IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians, as we have never seen before.'

This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.'

'We speak mainly ENGLISH … not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, then you have no choice but to learn “our” language!'

'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'

'We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.'

'This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are finished complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom ….
'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.'
'If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.'

Maybe if we circulate this amongst ourselves, American citizens will find the backbone to start speaking and voicing the same truths.

Last edited by jfrenaye; 01-24-2008 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Removed wacky HTML to make it readable
TPARick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Caribbean Queen
Travel Professional
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 35 Caribbean Queen has closed the door for pushbackCaribbean Queen has closed the door for pushbackCaribbean Queen has closed the door for pushbackCaribbean Queen has closed the door for pushback

I agree. We desparately need all of out government to have this mindset.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Arrow

He's available, having lost his reelection bid. Not only was his party knocked out in 2007, but he lost his own seat in the Aussie Parliament.

In January 2008, he signed with the prominent speaking agency The Washington Speakers Bureau, joining Tony Blair, Colin Powell, Madeleine Albright, and others. He's available for two speeches, Leadership in the New Century and The Global Economic Future.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
trvlagt4u
Travel Professional
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 41 trvlagt4u is careening down the runwaytrvlagt4u is careening down the runwaytrvlagt4u is careening down the runwaytrvlagt4u is careening down the runwaytrvlagt4u is careening down the runwaytrvlagt4u is careening down the runway

As Ned said, he is available for employment since he lost his job in November. Wouldn't it be wonderful if more people here in the US felt this way.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Gesualdo
Platinum Poster

Rep Power: 111 Gesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesGesualdo has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

Given the style of writing and the extensive use of capital letters, I question whether this is real.
Gesualdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
trvlagt4u
Travel Professional
Silver Poster

Rep Power: 41 trvlagt4u is careening down the runwaytrvlagt4u is careening down the runwaytrvlagt4u is careening down the runwaytrvlagt4u is careening down the runwaytrvlagt4u is careening down the runwaytrvlagt4u is careening down the runway

I checked it out on Snopes and it's true, however when reading through the commentary on Snopes, there may be been some changes in wording.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/australia.asp
Old 01-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Ned
Kishef macher
Super Duper Über Poster

Rep Power: 454 Ned has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph FiennesNed has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes
Lightbulb

I was thinking about staying out of this one, but after rereading Howard's statement again, I've changed my mind about it.

Actually, if that statement was made by a candidate for President of the United States, I'd be mighty upset and angry.

I do think that everyone who comes to the US to work and live should learn English, and that English should become the 1st language for all US citizens and those seeking citizenship. But I also believe in preserving one's heritage and culture too. To that end, I believe that there is no reason not to preserve as part of one's life the language of your forerunners. I also believe that rather than give up part of your identity to mesh into our society, to give up one's essence, makes little sense. It's better that each person contribute their uniqueness, their culture, their heritage to our society. It's been that way in the country throughout its history, and it's served us well.

But what would make me really angry if a presidential candidate said it is the following, "Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture."

Australia is a very different country than the US, with a wholly different origin as a nation, a different mindset, as a people, a different tradition, and very different governmental base than the US. I wonder if many here in the US understand that.

Australia never revolted from the British Empire, never fought a war of Independence from what was perceived as a tyrant king, never had a history of religious tolerance or freedom, due, in large part, to the establishment of communities specifically created to permit free expression of religious beliefs and worship, different from the old motherland.

The Commonwealth of Australia, to this day is a member of the British Commonwealth of Nations. It's form of government is Parliamentary democracy and constitutional monarchy, and they still owe fealty to Queen Elizabeth, their monarch. While Australia has no official state religion, Christianity most definitely, via the tradition of the Church of England, has dominated the history of Australia. Only 5% of Australians identify themselves as followers of non-Christian religions. To say that the basis of government in Australia, their Constitution, is quite different from the US Constitution, is an understatement. In actuality, they have very few similarities, and the Australia Constitution has no Bill of Rights. "Freedom of Speech" in Australia is very different than in the US. They do have a Constitutional section which says, the Commonwealth is prohibited from "making any law for establishing any religion, or for imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free exercise of any religion," but the tradition of law in Australia is decidedly Christian.

If a presidential candidate stated those words I quoted, as a non-Christian I would be very angry indeed. The US, via the Constitution is a country created as a "Nation of Laws." The founding fathers proactively excluded religion from the fabric of those laws, in part to protect religion from the government, and in part to protect the government from religion. Sound moral principles were used to found the US, not Christian principles, nor Jewish principles, just plain sound moral principles. This is all documented in writings and speeches of the time. Were our founding fathers predominantly Christian? You bet. Did they practice their faith? Affirmative. But they understood how divisive and counterproductive the mixture of religion and the state can be, and separated the two.

I understand the sentiment of the quote which resonates with people. I understand the feeling that many people feel that some immigrants who hold to their old ways, who often insulate themselves from general society, should "put up or shut up" or should join with us or go home. I understand the anti-Muslim, anti-Arab feeling many feel. Nevertheless, I do not agree with the sentiments expressed by Mr. Howard. I would consider any Presidential candidate expressing such views as "anti-American," and I would fight to ensure that candidate could never be elected.

[Visit my Travel Photography Blog, and
Photography website NSL Photography]
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #8
jjjenny
Supporting Member
Diamond Poster

Rep Power: 77 jjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennesjjjenny has just been invited to the lav with Ralph Fiennes

I do like some of what he had to say. For instance, it upset me when I pulled into a Circle K to get gas. They were advertising they had jobs available and very little English is needed. Sometimes I pull into gas stations to ask directions and I would like to know that the people in the store will understand me and be able to answer me. They should learn english if they want to work here. I certainly don't expect people in Mexico to speak english!
jjjenny is offline   Reply With Quote