PDA

View Full Version : Tipping

thebestjme
04-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Your quote on tipping strikes me as a bit out of touch. I also view tipping as a reward for good service but the idea of leaving a resteraunt server simply a note is quite pompus.

I imagine the resort business is probably a different story but as for wait staff resteraunts generally pay roughly two and a quater an hour as a wage, no where near a livable amount. Server's depend on tips to pay the bills.

This being the structure of the business it only makes sense to factor in a tip when going out to eat. I can understand abstaining in the case of truly horrid service but honestly how often does that happen. Bad waitressess generally don't last that long.

I do agree with the point that was made about tipping well. In my years of working in resteraunts I did always pay a bit of special attention to people who tipped me well. But those people were usually also the most pleasant to deal with; which is a tip in it's own right.

vickiburton
04-30-2005, 02:24 PM
If restaurant wait staff was so horrible that I would not leave a tip at all, then a word with the manager is necessary. It has happened to me, once. It was a rather pricy restaurant and since I had been on surveillance for the last 12 hours, I did not look as neat and fresh as the other patrons. My waiter treated me like a red-headed step-child. He got the full treatment on the comment card as well as a conversation with the manager.

FL Traveler
06-30-2005, 06:21 PM
I have always wondered why a) restaurants don't pay their help better and B) why someone would take a job and rely on "donations" (aka tips) to make their salary. Guess it is the system but I resent it when the tip is considered automatic (like the set price on the menu) since is was orginally -- and still is intended -- I do believe -- to reflect the level (quality) of service. I do not consider myself cheap but really do tip accordingly-- average about 15-18%.