PDA

View Full Version : Another Passenger Overboard - This time on NCL

wrp96
10-13-2006, 05:40 PM
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_286144043.html

Apparently a woman jumped overboard on the NCL Star on Wednesday evening.

jfrenaye
10-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Is this a case of keeping up with the Arisons?

Ned
10-13-2006, 09:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jfrenaye @ Oct 13 2006, 07:33 PM) 39652</div>
Is this a case of keeping up with the Arisons?
[/b]
I think that this has been going on at about the same rate as today for years. The difference is it was always kept quiet in the past, but now it has to be reported. In addition, it's hard to keep things quiet in the Internet age.

wrp96
10-14-2006, 01:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ned @ Oct 13 2006, 09:13 PM) 39656</div>
I think that this has been going on at about the same rate as today for years. The difference is it was always kept quiet in the past, but now it has to be reported. In addition, it's hard to keep things quiet in the Internet age.
[/b]

I somewhat agree. I also think it may be a case of since it is now reported so often that more people think about it as an option for suicide. Jumping off a cruise ship may not sound as bad as slitting your wrist or shooting yourself with a gun or popping pills.

deangreenhoe
10-14-2006, 02:19 PM
I also think it may be a case of since it is now reported so often that more people think about it as an option for suicide.[/b]

That makes the most sense to me. I think the media frenzy over the issue just plants the idea in the heads of more unstable people.

An example of that happening would be The Government Center building in downtown Minneapolis. It's actually twin high rises connected by pedestrian bridges on alternating floors, right up to the top. Someone got the bright idea to throw themselves off one of the upper floor bridges and go splat on the crowded plaza below. Of course it made big news, so people started flinging themselves off the bridges right and left. They eventually had to enclose the things with sturdy plexi-glass barriers.

Of course, it didn't help matters that the high-dive opportunity was just outside the door of really fun places like Family Court. I always thought that was really good planning on someone's part. <_<

Here's a photo of the building. You can see the interior bridges through the glass:

Come Fly With Me! (http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=257290)

BYOFT
10-16-2006, 08:36 AM
You mean, these walkways used to be open-air? In wintertime MSP? I'm surprised people didn't commit suicide by just hanging out on the top floors and freezing to death!

weblet
10-16-2006, 08:45 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BYOFT @ Oct 16 2006, 09:36 AM) 39833</div>
You mean, these walkways used to be open-air? In wintertime MSP? I'm surprised people didn't commit suicide by just hanging out on the top floors and freezing to death!
[/b]

Good grief - took the words right out of my mouth!! 'Course, those Scandinavians do know how to handle winter... :lol:

Ahem. But we digress.

Due to the investigation, passengers hoping to disembark at the Port of Los Angeles could not immediately leave the ship, causing some frustration.[/b]

"Some frustration?" I would guess it got nasty...

deangreenhoe
10-16-2006, 09:52 AM
You mean, these walkways used to be open-air? In wintertime MSP? I'm surprised people didn't commit suicide by just hanging out on the top floors and freezing to death![/b]

NO, silly people. :lol: Can't you see there are windows enclosing the complex? The bridges just had wide planters I believe on the edges. I used to live just a couple of blocks from there and would hang out on the plaza for some wamth and greenery in the winter.

They built the plexi-glass barriers up high along both sides of each individual bridge. They cross the open span in the middle of the building.

weblet
10-16-2006, 11:54 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deangreenhoe @ Oct 16 2006, 10:52 AM) 39852</div>
NO, silly people. :lol: Can't you see there are windows enclosing the complex? The bridges just had wide planters I believe on the edges. I used to live just a couple of blocks from there and would hang out on the plaza for some wamth and greenery in the winter.

They built the plexi-glass barriers up high along both sides of each individual bridge. They cross the open span in the middle of the building.
[/b]

Ohhhhh. I think we were thinking those outside windows were the new additions - that the bridges were originally outside. So, the bridges are in an atrium area and they had to enclose the bridges within the atrium. Gotcha. Must be a b***h to heat...

deangreenhoe
10-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Must be a b***h to heat...
[/b]

Not to mention mop up the blood and guts from the tiled atrium floor. Ick.

And if someone jumped 24 stories and landed on top of my head while I was eating my lunch on the plaza, I'd be pretty damned irritated. I wouldn't sit well with me if they leaped onto my cruise ship balcony during sunset cocktails either. It might be easier for all, and safer for the non-jumping passengers, if they just moved one of those water slides to conveniently shoot them off the back of the ship. <_<

weblet
10-16-2006, 12:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deangreenhoe @ Oct 16 2006, 01:26 PM) 39881</div>
Not to mention mop up the blood and guts from the tiled atrium floor. Ick.

And if someone jumped 24 stories and landed on top of my head while I was eating my lunch on the plaza, I'd be pretty damned irritated. I wouldn't sit well with me if they leaped onto my cruise ship balcony during sunset cocktails either. It might be easier for all, and safer for the non-jumping passengers, if they just moved one of those water slides to conveniently shoot them off the back of the ship. <_<
[/b]

OMG. This is going to go downhill REAL quick....

cole75
10-16-2006, 01:20 PM
It sure is goin' downhill cause now I've got a picture of that waterslide... make it a circular waterslide too so that at least they go out with a smile on their face!!

mtp51
10-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Yes! The water slide is perfect!