PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Dell

jfrenaye
10-09-2006, 09:20 PM
My kid's laptop power charger/pack has become defective. The light does not light up and it does not power or charge the laptop.

I sent Dell a message via their web tonight about 7pm. Within an hour received a response asking me to follow their troubleshooting steps. I did, still broken. Sent them message asking to ship replacement part.

Just received a message that is is packed and being shipped tomorrow by 2 day air. Under warranty--which I knew, but to have Dell resolve this in a matter of 3 hours from web submission to packaging is incredible!

AaronK
10-10-2006, 05:10 AM
Thats great John. Whenever I need to contact Dell to get replacement parts, they put me through 10 different ringers and waste more of my time than is necessary.

However, I have had an issue myself with Dell laptops where it wasn't the charger, but the charging board inside that was the problem, so I hope the charger solves your problem.

jfrenaye
10-10-2006, 05:15 AM
Well another charger worked fine on the laptop, and the suspected bad one caused the same problem on another laptop as well. THe green light did not light!

But I figured that since it was my kid's I should do email and not waste my time with the phones to India.....pleasantly surprised.

Now granted, it was under warranty.

Annette
10-10-2006, 07:57 AM
I don't think Dell has their US support in India anymore. In fact they've built a nice big building in Edmonton to house their techs (as well as some of their admin and R&D team, but primarily techs). I have a friend who's a tech for Dell who works there and he only handles calls from the US. Mind you he also handles calls in Spanish but I don't think that the demand for Spanish-speaking techs is sufficient enough to warrant that huge building. And they're on a massive hiring campaign in Edmonton right now.

jfrenaye
10-10-2006, 09:07 AM
I believe their business clients are call centered in the US (or an "english" speaking nation) but their home or consumer lines are in India.

At least that was about a year ago--may have changed, because everyone is so tired of dealing with off shore call centers.

Imagine if Hamid called to get support on his iPOD and got ahold of Jeff Foxworthy at a call center in Tusculoosa??

Ned
10-10-2006, 09:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jfrenaye @ Oct 10 2006, 10:07 AM) 39213</div>
I believe their business clients are call centered in the US (or an "english" speaking nation) but their home or consumer lines are in India.

At least that was about a year ago--may have changed, because everyone is so tired of dealing with off shore call centers.

Imagine if Hamid called to get support on his iPOD and got ahold of Jeff Foxworthy at a call center in Tusculoosa??
[/b]
I just happen to be at a client now, and we were testing their new T3 line to the Internet. I thought I'd check out the connection by going to Tripso.

Along with others, such as HP, my company is a Dell reseller. Dell Small Business Support is still in India along with the Home and Home Office Support. If you're a Dell small business customer who has spent a little extra for Gold Support (all my customers) then your support is US based. Dell has substantially upgraded their offshore support, in my opinion. The people in India seemed to be far better trained than in the past, but the language barrier, at least to my ears is still a monster problem.

Annette
10-13-2006, 01:32 PM
I asked my friend about offshore support and was told that they currently have 5 sites still operating in India because they're under contract with them for the time being. But apparently the Edmonton office gets all kinds of calls - consumers, business, etc.

jfrenaye
10-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Well I don't care, I got my charger two days ago! YAY for DELL!

bodega
10-13-2006, 05:01 PM
FYI, Dell may be on the way out. If you purchase any Dell products, use your credit card, just in case. We are also Dell resellers, but we rarely sell their products.

jfrenaye
10-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Wow, now that is cryptic. I thought Dell was very strong. THey are expanding and building their standalone kiosks in upscale markets, etc. I know Gateway was on the verge at one point, but they seem to have made a recovery.

stephen_s
10-13-2006, 07:56 PM
So what's left? HP? I'm not sure with their current situation. E-machines? I'm due for a new computer in February.

Kairho
10-13-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm in the same boat, Stephen ... one thing I know is eMachines is not on my list as they used to be terrible junk and I haven't heard anything better. Micron (MPC) and Gateway are well regarded...

jfrenaye
10-14-2006, 07:34 AM
I was leary of my HP laptop and to be honest, it has been fabulous for almost 2 years now.

I also have had success with the Sony Vaio line both in desktops and laptops.

And I have heard good things about Toshiba as well.

But don't leave us hanging here on the Dell deal...wassup?

AaronK
10-14-2006, 08:05 AM
Personally, other than a handful of support issues (I know I have a bad part, send me a warranty replacement, oh no, we can't do that until....), I have had no issue with their product (I once built a datacenter using all Dell equipment). Having worked on HP servers recently, I'd say their product isn't too bad either.

However, I will not willingly buy any Sony product after the issue with a rootkit on a music CD. They lost my trust. I don't care if they make the best product on the planet.

I have a Toshiba Tablet PC that has had to go in for repair work twice. The first time, the display wouldn't function, but if I plugged a monitor into it, it was fine. So, me being the simple tech that I am, call Toshiba, and suggest that they replace the display. I send the Tablet in for work. Their troubleshooting (which must not have included plugging a monitor into it) decided that I needed a motherboard. The supply depot just happened to be out of motherboards. Three weeks later, after replacing the motherboard and still getting a dead display, they replace the display.
A year later, the same unit had the hard drive fail. I could tell this by errors I was receiving, as well as the clanking sound the drive made. Another call to Toshiba, asking for just a drive to be sent that I could personally swap out. Nope, against their policy, my choice was go to a repair depot or send it in. I chose to send it in, wrong choice. They diagnosed to again replace the motherboard. Another wait on parts, and then the drive. Given this history, I wouldn't buy another Toshiba laptop. I think it inexcusable that the repair depot staff are too incompotent to do thorough testing of an issue, and the fact that they never seem to have replacement parts in stock.

I'll probably be due to replace the tablet next year, not sure what I'm going to buy to replace it.

stephen_s
10-14-2006, 10:44 AM
I like HP also. I had two of them (one I retired and I'm using one now) and I've upgraded both of them up the wazoo and I've never had any problems. I know some people hate HP, but I like them.