PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't I Fly One Way?

hawkins
07-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Once again I'm going crazy trying to arrange flights for our next trip. We need to fly to Rome where we'll board a cruise ship and sail to Ft Lauderdale. We'll then need to fly home from FLL. I'm not being allowed to use my air miles at all since I'm not flying round trip to and from one destination. And the price of one way tickets in many cases actually exceeds the price of round trip tickets. Yes, once again we'll probably have to buy two sets of round trip tickets when we have no chance of using the second leg. WHY DO THE AIRLINES INSIST ON ROUND TRIP TICKETS? I cannot for the life of me see where the airlines benefit from this rule at all. Does anyone know what it is I'm not seeing?
Thanks!

jfrenaye
07-09-2005, 02:50 PM
You should be able to do this. I would suggest that you make the arrangements through the cruise line, as most of your fellow passengers will be in the same situation. This happens all the time with a re-positioning cruise or Alaskan cruises!

Most online sites will not allow this because when there is a mistake made, the airlines will debit (charge) them for it and they are not willing to take the risk. The alternative is to go after you and then they would lose you as a client so it is easier to simply not offer it.

hawkins
07-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by jfrenaye@Jul 9 2005, 02:50 PM
You should be able to do this.* I would suggest that you make the arrangements through the cruise line, as most of your fellow passengers will be in the same situation.* This happens all the time with a re-positioning cruise or Alaskan cruises!

Most online sites will not allow this because when there is a mistake made, the airlines will debit (charge) them for it and they are not willing to take the risk.* The alternative is to go after you and then they would lose you as a client so it is easier to simply not offer it.

Yes indeed, the cruise line is only too happy to arrange the air part of the travel but if I do it myself I save substantially...and I do mean substantially.

You may have a point about the travel services (websites) not being willing to risk making a mistake but the airlines themselves structure their fares this way. I've found flights one way to Rome for $1400 and the exact same flight $1392 if the ticket is round trip.

ginwy
07-11-2005, 02:46 PM
the airline rules never make sense to me... :angry:

DCTravelAgent
07-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Yes indeed, the cruise line is only too happy to arrange the air part of the travel but if I do it myself I save substantially...and I do mean substantially.

Apparently not, since you can not do it.

You can do one-way tickets with your miles - it will just cost more miles.

As for saving money - the airport in Rome is very, very far from the cruise port - it's a long trip. So the transfer is included if you book cruise line air - couple of hundred dollars if you try to do it on your own. Were you to use a Travel Agent, s/he would've told you this. (In this case you have a TA telling you for free. Enjoy!)

Look, you're undoubtedly paying big change for this cruise - although it sounds like a "deal" given that it's a repositioning cruise. But why sour the experience by doing something inconvenient with the air just to save a couple of hundred a person? So look around for airlines that service Rome and Miami as well as Ft. Lauderdale and you might find an open jaw that will work for you, but I do think you are better off using the cruise line's air - they can book one way tickets and so can put you on one carrier to Rome and a second carrier home from Florida.

As for the cost of one-way tickets ... that's called "Price-shifting". It is assumed that a person needing a one-way ticket really does need it and will pay what s/he must. So that poor shnook pays part of the cost of all the other people flying round trip. Same principal as Business Class tickets costing more, and needing a Saturday night stay for a reduced fare - who will pay for these? Road Warriors who need the Bus. Class ammenities and/or do not wish to stay over a Saturday for work.

gerr64
07-12-2005, 03:53 PM
When and where are you flying from?

07-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Because they don't like you?

blakej
07-13-2005, 07:55 PM
:) I know the problem, we flew Canada to Miami. Miama to Buenos Aires, cruised to Barcelona, flew to London. Later on we flew back to Canada. Yes each airfare had to be return but the Travel Agent did refund the return portion of the Miami to Buenos Aires some months on. Our trip was a 3 month retirement fling. Hope you have a great time :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DCTravelAgent
07-14-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by blakej@Jul 13 2005, 07:55 PM
:) I know the problem, we flew Canada to Miami.* Miama to Buenos Aires, cruised to Barcelona, flew to London.** Later on we flew back to Canada.* Yes each airfare had to be return but the Travel Agent did refund the return portion of the Miami to Buenos Aires some months on.** Our trip was a 3 month retirement fling.* * Hope you have a great time :rolleyes:* :rolleyes:

And the two operative words in the above paragraph are "Travel Agent". This is not a simply round trip, point to point air ticket. It's a little too complicated for self-service on the Internet. This is one of those situation where you should use a Travel Agent or the Cruise Line's air.

daryleann
07-16-2005, 05:20 PM
hawkins:

I have booked many trips with this type of pattern. IE: Flew DEN to FLL, then Manaus, Brazil to DEN for our cruise on Amazon. The trick is to go to Orbitz - or some others- and click on 'flights' (default is not what you want - click the tab FLIGHTS) then click on 'multicity'. Some sites don't allow this, but United and AA also allow this - but sometimes the price is better mixing the airlines. (I saved considerable this way, and will do so again in going to Japan to cruise back to Vancouver.)
Hope this helps. Let me know if you are having problems.

dee4j
07-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by ginwy@Jul 11 2005, 03:46 PM
the airline rules never make sense to me... :angry:

it doesnt sound like the airline rules, it sounds like the frequent flyer rules.

and even though you save money doing it yourself, you are actually more protected when the cruiseline makes the flight arrangements for you.

my advice, save the miles for a simple round trip that has nothing to do with your cruise, and use the safest options available to reach your cruise even if it means spending a few more dollars than you'd like. especially since you are going to europe.