PDA

View Full Version : Furry friendsí favorite places

stephen_s
09-28-2006, 06:50 PM
From Travelmole:

Houston ranked first among US cities as the best accommodation for travelers with pets, according to AAA.

Their list rated cities on the number of pet-friendly hotels, campgrounds and parks. The ratings also took into consideration the number of animal hospitals.

Texas was the winning state overall, capturing the top three spots. San Antonio was second, followed by Austin.

Albuquerque, N. M, was fourth, followed by Phoenix, Dallas, New York, Orlando, Nashville and Tucson, Ariz.

"This type of travel is on the rise," said Randy Bly, director of community relations fro AAA Auto Club South.

Since 1999, the number of pet-friendly hotels has grown 28%, AAA said.

An estimated 29 million travelers took a pet with them on vacation sometime during the past three years, said the Travel Industry Association. [/b]

Ned
09-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Does this mean that Texas has, er gulp, gone to the dogs? (My apologies to my Texas friends and canines everywhere, including in my home.)

jjjenny
09-29-2006, 10:13 AM
In July I had to drive to Wichita Falls, Texas. So that I wouln't have to be alone, I took one of my dogs. I found a Holiday Inn there that loves dogs!! My dog is very well behaved and she liked one elevator and hated the other. They didn't charge extra for her. One night we ordered room service and she really liked her meal. I was just so impressed to finally see a hotel that loves dogs.

mercwyn
09-29-2006, 12:44 PM
I have found that there are a growing number of hotels that cater to travelers with pets. I know that the La Quinta chain is pet friend, although the specific policies vary from hotel to hotel, they all permit pets and most have pet packs to help make the pet feel welcome. The only I have encounter so far that required any sort of deposit was the one in Bend OR. that charged me $5.00 per pet which was fully refunded at check out.

I've also found that Residence Inns are all pet friendly, with the exception of the $75.00 deposit that they require.

And of course, Hotel Monaco is extremely pet friendly and will even provide you with a pet if needed.

BPoland
09-30-2006, 06:08 AM
Loews Hotels are also pet friendly throughout the chain. I was just in Orlando for a conference, and we stayed at the Portofino Bay Hotel. It was fun to see so many people traveling with their pets. Everything from little "pocket dogs" to Great Danes :D