PDA

View Full Version : Eat a Roach and Be the First in Line

stephen_s
09-21-2006, 08:22 PM
From AP:

GURNEE, Ill. (AP) - Why wait in line when you can just eat a cockroach? That's the question Six Flags Great America is asking its thrill seekers during its Halloween-themed FrightFest. The amusement park is daring customers to eat a live Madagascar hissing cockroach in exchange for unlimited line-jumping privileges.

The promotion, which has Lake County Health Department officials shaking their heads, starts Oct. 7.

Anyone who chows down the entire 2- to 3-inch horned cockroach gets a pass for four people to cut to the front of ride lines through Oct. 29.

Park officials insist it's safe to eat the crunchy critters, but health officials are cautioning participants.

Consuming live roaches might increase risks of gastrointestinal illness and allergies, according to Bill Mays, Lake County Health Department's community health director.

Cockroach eaters will have to sign waivers and still pay admission fees, said Six Flags spokesman James Taylor.

The bug buffet continues with a cooked roach eating contest Oct. 13 - Friday, Oct. 13.

Taylor says he's hoping someone can beat the 2001 Guinness Book of World Records feat in which a British man downed 36 cockroaches.

"I've heard people say, 'Wow,"Ew,' a lot of one-worders," Taylor said. "A lot have said that they wouldn't eat a cockroach, but they sure would like to see someone else do it." [/b]

Ned
09-21-2006, 09:03 PM
The sad thing is there probably will be lots of takers for this stupid stunt, which could lead to serious illness and/or serious allergy attacks.

According to the Centers for Disease control cockroaches carry Salmonella typhimurium, Entamoeba histolytica, and the poliomyelitis virus. Yes that's right, Sammonella, the serious parasitic infection Entamoeba histolytica, and Polio. Tell me they're not serious. Furthermore they carry antibodies responsible for allergies, including asthma, which can be life threatening.

One thing I don't understand, is the Lake County Health Department officials and the Lake County District Attorney not stopping this insane thing, if for no other reason because Six Flags is publically lieing, stating that it's safe to eat the cockroaches.

weblet
09-22-2006, 06:53 AM
And further, it's just, well, ICKY.

jjjenny
09-22-2006, 09:28 AM
What is the matter with some people these days? Six Flags stooping to something like that? It is gross!!I would be in line no matter how long the line and I will never watch someone else eating a roach.

jfrenaye
09-22-2006, 09:31 AM
I'd do it but the incentive is not enough. Now if they gave me line jumping pivileges for 4, and season passes with the line jumping privileges for 4 for the next season, I would be all over that. But alas, Illinois is not near me, bring it to Adventure WOrld in Largo and I might be tempted!

REDJIM
09-22-2006, 03:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stephen_s @ Sep 21 2006, 09:22 PM) 37535</div>
From AP:
[/b]

I thought Evolution was supposed to make our species smarter.

Carchar
09-22-2006, 03:57 PM
The roaches are born and bred in a "sterile environment" according to a CNN news interview. And what's a little protein and fiber before a ride?

Of course, I wouldn't do it! Well, maybe if they were coated with Belgian chocolate... ;)

ARTraveler
09-22-2006, 04:24 PM
not in a bazillion years, not even with Belgian chocolate, not even with all the dark Belgian chocolate in the world! :blink:

ebob
10-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Might as well give it a try. It can't be much worse than the local eateries and it might actually be more sanitary!