PDA

View Full Version : For hotel guests - mints on the pillow

mtp51
09-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Plasma televisions, granite countertops and designer armchairs are no longer trappings of the rich and famous. Fiercely competitive hotel chains are spending millions on high-tech gadgets and luxurious furniture to lure customers in what increasingly resembles an interior-design arms race.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/cu...-home-headlines (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-hotelrooms1806sep18,0,4277485.story?coll=orl-home-headlines)

bodega
09-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Hampton Inns is updating their bedding. They are using a white, washable comforter cover that will get changed at the same time they change the sheets and they are adding lots of pillows. We have stayed at many Hampton Inn's recently and the new bedding gives the room a B&B feeling. One issue I have with hotels, is the unknow cleanliness of the bedspread and blankets. Upscale hotels have been covering the blankets, which is better. I have a friend who owns a rental condo at Tahoe, and they are required to only change/wash the bedspread in each room, once a year...yuck!

Ned
09-21-2006, 02:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bodega @ Sep 21 2006, 02:44 PM) 37508</div>
Hampton Inns is updating their bedding. They are using a white, washable comforter cover that will get changed at the same time they change the sheets and they are adding lots of pillows. We have stayed at many Hampton Inn's recently and the new bedding gives the room a B&B feeling. One issue I have with hotels, is the unknow cleanliness of the bedspread and blankets. Upscale hotels have been covering the blankets, which is better. I have a friend who owns a rental condo at Tahoe, and they are required to only change/wash the bedspread in each room, once a year...yuck!
[/b]
We regularly stay at a Hampton Inn in LA. They have the new bedding which is very nice. I know the owner there, and asked about the bedspreads. They're cleaning them at least weekly, he said. I asked him if Hilton had a policy on this, which all Hampton Inns had to follow. He said they didn't.

bodega
09-21-2006, 03:02 PM
That is interesting becasue Hilton sent me an email about this and I wished I had kept it. It specificily stated that the cover was being washed after each stay. I paid attention to it because I usually remove the bedspread and due to the lack of cleaning to these in most hotels. I guess weekly is better than yearly.

Ned
09-21-2006, 03:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bodega @ Sep 21 2006, 04:02 PM) 37522</div>
That is interesting becasue Hilton sent me an email about this and I wished I had kept it. It specificily stated that the cover was being washed after each stay. I paid attention to it because I usually remove the bedspread and due to the lack of cleaning to these in most hotels. I guess weekly is better than yearly.
[/b]
I'm going to call him up and ask him if anything has changed about this issue. I suggested to him that it should be cleaned after every stay, and he said he would consider it, especially because many of his regulars had suggested, and requested the same. I'll repost later tonight.

jjjenny
09-21-2006, 03:23 PM
I wish every hotel would clean all the bedding. If I knew a hotel was washing the comforters or bedspreads after each departing guest, I would definately pay more to stay there. I'm probably a little strange about germs, plus after all the things that have been posted lately about bed bugs! Yuck!!

tdew
09-21-2006, 03:47 PM
I too remove the bedspread in a hotel room as a standard practice.
To keep me coming back, most important is a clean room, comfortable bed and pleasant employees.
These days, internet access and a good desk are also high on the list of things I look for.

I'm not interested in the granite countertops or the flat screen tv. If I'm by myself, I don't usually even turn the TV on.

Ned
09-21-2006, 04:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ned @ Sep 21 2006, 04:16 PM) 37523</div>
I'm going to call him up and ask him if anything has changed about this issue. I suggested to him that it should be cleaned after every stay, and he said he would consider it, especially because many of his regulars had suggested, and requested the same. I'll repost later tonight.
[/b]
Spoke to the owner. He's now stripping the beds completely at the end of every stay. He doesn't think all the Hampton Inns are doing the same.

I always take the spread off too. I also lift up the top sheet looking for any staining which might indicate bedbugs, after I quickly look in between the sheets with a flashlight, with the room lights off, also looking for the critters.