PDA

View Full Version : College Rankings

weblet
09-16-2006, 06:14 PM
For those parents in the throws of helping kids make THE DECISION, maybe this site will help...

www.rankyourcollege.com (http://www.rankyourcollege.com)

The site was designed by former Duke professor Stuart Rojstaczer, better known for his campaign against grade inflation. The refresh button feature to "update" the ranking list is great fun. To quote Rojstazer: “All we’re doing is what U.S. News & World Report does – jumble up the numbers and reorder them ... They do it once a year. We do it as fast as you want.”

Edited: Created URL (JWF)

bodega
09-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Yes, and every year a new school gets named, "The Party School". If there is a college, there will be party going on. This ranking cracks me up each year.

Ned
09-19-2006, 08:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(weblet @ Sep 16 2006, 07:14 PM) 37166</div>
For those parents in the throws of helping kids make THE DECISION, maybe this site will help...

www.rankyourcollege.com (http://www.rankyourcollege.com)

The site was designed by former Duke professor Stuart Rojstaczer, better known for his campaign against grade inflation. The refresh button feature to "update" the ranking list is great fun. To quote Rojstazer: “All we’re doing is what U.S. News & World Report does – jumble up the numbers and reorder them ... They do it once a year. We do it as fast as you want.”

Edited: Created URL (JWF)
[/b]
Weblet, this is no reflection on you at all, but this ranking site, even as a joke is ridiculous. Just for the heck of it I clicked on the classic rankings and refreshed, as suggested, every 15 seconds for 5 minutes. In that time there were 26 different schools in the top 10, and on 8 ocassions 1 school was in the top 10 twice, such as the last time I clicked when Duke showed up at eighth and tenth place simultaneously. The least they could have done was make sure no school showed up twice on the same list.

weblet
09-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Ouch, Ned. The Olympics put you in a bad mood? :P

Ned
09-19-2006, 02:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(weblet @ Sep 19 2006, 11:17 AM) 37299</div>
Ouch, Ned. The Olympics put you in a bad mood? :P
[/b]
Sorry about that. I think you may be right. I get really angry when the Olympics is brought up. We just don't talk about it at this house. My experience and contact with the Olympic movement has been decidedly negative. When you participate in the upper levels of sport as a player and administrator you get to see a side of things the average person doesn't know a thing about.

The only Olympics worth a plug nickel is the Special Olympics, in which I volunteer as a USSF Referee to work. At Special Olympics you actually see the "Olympic Creed" in action. These athletes are incredible.

weblet
09-19-2006, 02:37 PM
I gathered the big O was a sore spot! And I must admit that I have been more than slightly disillusioned by the claim that these are still 'amateur' games...

deangreenhoe
09-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Well, it's pretty obvious that there's nothing amateur about games where the contestants generally train professionally for years. It's their job. I guess it's a matter of expectations, of which I have very few when it comes to just about any organized human endeavor. It's enjoyable if you take it for what it is - entertainment.

I really think it would be far more interesting if they just threw out the rule books and the Olympic creed, let them all get bloated up and freaky on steroids and even encourage trying to take out your opponent surreptitiously by any means before the actual event. (On hidden camera, of course.)

Now that would be interesting to watch. Tonya Harding would finally get a taste of that gold. :lol:

bodega
09-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Ned, have you been involved with the ODP for soccer? My son was picked for an ODP team and I has less than impressed with experience. We did go to some very good soccer games, since the kids were all very talented, but the overall program was questionable. I have wondered if it still exists?

Ned
09-19-2006, 10:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bodega @ Sep 19 2006, 06:52 PM) 37353</div>
Ned, have you been involved with the ODP for soccer? My son was picked for an ODP team and I has less than impressed with experience. We did go to some very good soccer games, since the kids were all very talented, but the overall program was questionable. I have wondered if it still exists?
[/b]
Yes I have. There are 55 states in US Youth Soccer (PA, NY, CA, TX, OH are all split into two states due to the states' physical size and the number of players in those states) and each runs their state's ODP program largely independently, (training is totally independent) except for interstate competitions which are handled by each of the 4 regions and the US Youth Soccer directly. Players from youth soccer programs in the US, other than US Youth Soccer, are permitted to participate in ODP if they are members of USSF and are 100% registered with USSF. There is a tremendous difference between the state ODP programs. The ODP (Olympic Development Program) in each state has no connection with the Olympics other than the sanctioning of the name and the fact that in the US the ultimate governing body for all sport, except Pro football, basketball, hockey and baseball, plus to a greater or lessor extent, college sports according to the circumstances, is the US Olympic Committee.

There is a vast difference in the quality of youth soccer across the US in general. This is in part because of youth soccer's organization. For example, each US Youth Soccer member state is also an independent member of the United States Soccer Federation (USSF). Other reasons for the difference have to do with available seasons, fields, colleges with top soccer programs in each state, number of players (read that amount of money available), tradition, new and recent immigrant census and other factors. Year after year we see the same states seem to always have the best players and the best teams (CA, TX, NY, Eastern PA, OH, VA and periodically others).

In addition, I don't know when your son was playing ODP, but over the last 5-7 years I have seen a big improvement in coaching nationally in many states. I think things will continue to improve in the coming years as many states adopt better coaching methods and techniques found in South America and Europe. We're getting there, although we're not there yet. I don't think we're going to see the difference in states even out, however, because most of the reasons for the differences are not going to change.

bodega
09-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks, Ned. We are out of the loop on youth sports since my kids graduated from high school in '95 & '96.