PDA

View Full Version : PC World Chooses Worst Websites

REDJIM
09-16-2006, 06:50 AM
PC World has weighed in with its staffs' choices for the worlds worst websites. No, Tripso.com didn't make the cut... :o

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127116/article.html

Ned
09-16-2006, 07:24 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(REDJIM @ Sep 16 2006, 07:50 AM) 37134</div>
PC World has weighed in with its staffs' choices for the worlds worst websites. No, Tripso.com didn't make the cut... :o
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127116/article.html
[/b]
I pretty much agree that all these sites are poor or worse, however, I don't agree about Microsoft Updates, where they said it was "cryptic and difficult-to-use." I've never had trouble using it. I don't find anything about the site "cryptic." My complaint about the site is that Microsoft customers shouldn't need to go to this site as often as they do. Microsoft should have made their products better in the first place, so that you didn't have to download and install so many megabytes of files each month to "fix" their products.

Ned
09-16-2006, 08:46 AM
As an update to my earlier comments, I should first say that PC World declared "MySpace.com" as its #1 worst website. PC World stated in part, about "MySpace.com,"

Originally posted by PC World
Yes, we know. With more than 90 million users, MySpace is now more popular than Elvis, "American Idol," and ice cream. But the Web's most visited destination is also its most poorly designed and counterproductive.

The ease with which anyone of any age can create a page, upload photos, share deeply personal details of their lives, and make new "friends" quickly turned MySpace into a one-stop shopping mall for online predators. That in turn has made the site an easy target for politicians who pander for votes by playing on parental fears. In an era when the basic tenets of the Net are under attack by both Ma Bell and Uncle Sam, MySpace is a headache we don't need.

So I found this little tidbit on CNN.com this morning concerning "MySpace.com" involving a murder conspiracy. It's alleged that a 22 old woman tried to hire a hitman to kill another woman whose photo appeared on her boyfriend's "MySpace.com" web page. Definitely reason to kill someone, eh?

Originally posted by AP via CNN.com - September 14 2006
Jealous girlfriend held in MySpace.com murder plot

MESA, Arizona (AP) -- A 22-year-old woman was arrested after authorities say she tried to hire someone to kill another woman whose photo appeared on her boyfriend's MySpace.com Web page.

Heather Michelle Kane was booked Tuesday for investigation of conspiracy to commit murder, Mesa Detective Jerry Gissel said.

She was arrested after she met an undercover Mesa police detective at a grocery store, gave the officer $400 and offered to pay an additional $100 once the woman had been killed, according to court records.

The records say Kane gave the undercover officer photographs taken from her boyfriend's social networking Web page of the woman she wanted killed.

She also requested a photo of the woman's dead body.

It wasn't clear if the boyfriend and the targeted woman were romantically involved, Gissel said.This article is located at: Jealous girlfriend held... (http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/09/14/myspace.arrest.ap/index.html).

Jason's Storm
09-21-2006, 11:29 PM
I was part of Alladvantage.com, because I was in college and free money is good. When they reduced what they paid, I got rid of it. I, like many here, am part of Myspace.

~JS

tdew
09-22-2006, 06:22 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jason's Storm @ Sep 22 2006, 12:29 AM) 37541</div>
I, like many here, am part of Myspace.

~JS
[/b]

I know many, many people who use Myspace without problems.
The cases that make the news are incredible because of the things that some put on their page without thinking about who might be reading them and what trouble it could cause.

jfrenaye
09-22-2006, 06:56 AM
I have a MySpace account for my online agency and I have no freaking clue how to do anything with it besides set up the basics.

Guess I need to ask a kid!