PDA

View Full Version : Chiropracters

jfrenaye
09-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Are chiropractors considered "doctors"?

I was under the impression that they were not, but now that I am thinking, I think that some may be MDs or DOs and just did not subscribe to that philosophy and went the chiropractic route.

Does anyone have any imput on them?

Kairho
09-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Yes, they are really doctors.

Most State boards require at least 2 years of undergraduate education; an increasing number are requiring a 4-year bachelorís degree. All boards require the completion of a 4-year program at an accredited chiropractic college leading to the Doctor of Chiropractic degree.[/b] -- US Bureau of Labor Statistics

CruiseExpert
09-13-2006, 12:17 PM
What kind of input are you looking for? Yes, they are Doctors. I have used a couple and usually end up worse for the wear, after their typical treatments. I find Massage and Streching more helpful for my situation than manipulations.

Ned
09-13-2006, 12:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kairho @ Sep 13 2006, 12:48 PM) 36934</div>
Yes, they are really doctors.

-- US Bureau of Labor Statistics
[/b]
I don't agree that they're "doctors," in the sense that we think of our typical "family doctor" as a doctor. Doctors of Chiropractic are not MD's, Medical Doctors. Chiropracters have very limited things they can do with our bodies, and one of them, to the best of my knowledge, is not prescribe medications. In fact, many Chiropractors don't believe in medicines, especially immunizing medications.

The following is the definition of what they do according to the State of Vermont, "The practice of chiropractic" means the diagnosis of human ailments and diseases related to subluxations, joint dysfunctions, neuromuscular and skeletal disorders for the purpose of their detection, correction or referral in order to restore and maintain health, without providing drugs or performing surgery; the use of physical and clinical examinations, conventional radiologic procedures and interpretation, as well as the use of diagnostic imaging read and interpreted by a person so licensed and clinical laboratory procedures to determine the propriety of a regimen of chiropractic care; adjunctive therapies approved by the board, by rule, to be used in conjunction with chiropractic treatment; and treatment by adjustment or manipulation of the spine or other joints and connected neuromusculoskeletal tissues and bodily articulations."

I don't know about how others feel about it, but I don't think that's being a "doctor."

One of my best friends is Dr. Rabeeya. Among her degrees is a Doctorate of English Letters (PhD in English). As far as I'm concerned she's no more a "doctor" than a Chiropractor.

jfrenaye
09-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Just looking for general opinions. A buddy of mine is considering it for a consistently sore lower back. I dont know a lot about it and figured I wold ask.

I am very much a conservative in terms of medical treatments. Medicine and MDs -- not into the eye of newt and acupuncture and so forth. And perhaps to my naivete I consider Chiroppractoring in that category

DenaLou
09-13-2006, 12:45 PM
I've gone to a Chiropractor in the past & believe that he did good for my back. I haven't been in quite a few years. I believe that keeping active with excercise & being celibate has done WONDERS for my back!

pezmanffx
09-13-2006, 01:00 PM
I've been dealing with Stinosis in my back for 12 years. My Orthopedic insists that Chiropractors do more damage than good. He will only recommend them as a last resort to help deal with cronic pain. The best way to treat lower back pain is to go see an Ortho. Exercise, expecially yoga, will do a lot to releave the discomfort.

bodega
09-13-2006, 01:20 PM
A Chiropractror is not an MD. Most MD's will not recommend their patients go to a chiropractric office and turn their noses up or bristle when you mention wanting to go to one. Chiropractric visits are now starting to be covered by medical insurance companies. I have Blue Shield and they paid for all my visits to the Chiroprator.

For my visits, I was given a therapist who worked with me for my upper back problem. She was very good and I was doing well until the Chiroprator came in and did that neck cracking thing. I was in pain for days and will never, ever go back. For my last back/arm issue, I went to PT on recommendation from my GP, which cost me hundreds of dollar more :( , and I am better, without any neck cracking.

Now my neighbor will not go to his regualar GP when his back goes out. His Chiropractor does a better job of getting him standing up straight than what the GP has tried in the past.

Bottom line, ask around before picking a Chiropractor.

jjjenny
09-13-2006, 01:56 PM
My husband had back pain and went for awhile to a chiropractor, but got worse. He went to a doctor and after MRI's, x-rays and regular office visits, found out that had he continued with the chiropractor, he could have been paralyzed. Something was wrong with his spinal cord and he had surgery to have it corrected. I don't consider a chiropractor a doctor.

mtp51
09-13-2006, 02:14 PM
My husband investigated doctors for 20 years and now is in fraud, audit & compliance for a health insurance company. He would never consider going to a "chiroquacker".

anniep
09-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Okay, I'll weigh in.

I consider myself an educated, informed person -- and a skeptic. My grandfather is a doctor, as is my uncle, and they both disagree with me, BUT I have to say that my kids and I visit a chiropractor regularly, and I swear by it.

We started going because I was at my wit's end with my son's constant ear infections (ruptured eardrums, multiple sets of tubes, etc.) A friend told me to go to the chiropractor, and I just laughed. But I figured "what the heck?", I'd try a witch doctor at this point! We went... I continued to doubt... I still have no idea how or why it works...but my son has never again had an ear infection. Not one.

Then I started going too, because of an ongoing neck problem (from an old car accident). I go once a month to keep myself in alignment, and now my neck no longer clicks and pops when I turn my head.

My daughter is a competitive equestrian and has been thrown from her horse a few too many times. Now she goes too, to stay in alignment.

And my health insurance covers all of us.

Annette
09-13-2006, 07:22 PM
I'll chime in with my endorsement of *some* chiropractors.

If you find the right one then they can do wonders for you. I've been seeing one for about 15 years now. I can always tell when it's time for me to go back in because of the back/neck pain and the headaches. And yes I do yoga on an almost daily basis and while I'm sure that keeps things from being as bad as they could be it doesn't totally alleviate the problems for me.

If you get the WRONG one you'll end up in worse shape then you started and with a very bad opinion of chiropractors. Several years ago I moved out of the area I was living in (just by a little) and there was another chiropractor that was just a few blocks from me. I was uncomfortable with him from the start and every time I left his office I felt worse for days. When he started telling me how only God could heal me I left his office and never went back. The next day I made an appointment with my regular chiropractor and never looked back. Now that I'm living in a different city I still see the same one whenever I'm back in town.

When my mother had a pinched nerve she decided to see him. She'd had one a few years before that and remembered how long and painful the recovery from it was with regular medical treatment. She found that her recovery time was much shorter with the chiropractor and she started feeling better around the 2nd or 3rd treatment.

Just remember that like anything else sometimes you're going to get the one that graduated at the top of their class, and sometimes you're going to get the one that barely squeaked through.

travelwhiz
09-13-2006, 08:01 PM
I will have to agree that many Chiropracters are not good, but I love the one that I see. Just like any Dr. there are good ones and bad. You have to check around with people that you know.

Annette
09-15-2006, 02:46 PM
I called my chiropractor's office yesterday to make a maintenance appointment. His office is staffed by his family - most his daughters sometimes his wife or his mother. When I made my appointment and gave my name I was asked "And is your mother coming in too or will it just be you?". My mother's last name is completely different from mine, and they do not use a computer to track appointments - they just know their clientelle very well!

And I love that I can call and get a same-day appointment if I really need it.