PDA

View Full Version : Crikey

jfrenaye
09-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Was he a fool or a hero?

I think he did a lot of good for animal education. He took risks and ultimately paid the price

stephen_s
09-05-2006, 10:18 AM
I don't think he was a fool. He was just going into a realm he wasn't familiar with, but you have to start sometime.

mtp51
09-05-2006, 11:04 AM
I feel so bad for his wife and little Bindy. I have always admired Steve Irwin. His programs were always educational and exciting - children loved him. I'm just glad his death was quick. Gee - what a way to go...whew!

Ned
09-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Unfortunately, he didn't go all that fast. After being stabbed, it's been reported that somehow he managed to pull the deadly stingray barb from his chest, before he went into cardiac arrest. He knew he was dead. Unreal!

missalf
09-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Unfortunately, he didn't go all that fast. After being stabbed, it's been reported that somehow he managed to pull the deadly stingray barb from his chest, before he went into cardiac arrest. He knew he was dead. [/b]

On the news this morning they interviewed the director of the program, who watched the taped footage of the entire incident -- he confirmed that Steve pulled the barb out and then went limp while ascending. He (or someone else in the crew, can't remember ) also said that the authorities had asked for the tape to close the investigation into this incident.

I hope with all my heart that this footage never makes it into the public domain -- his family and friends don't deserve that type of pain.

I've been in probably 20 or more dives with stingrays, and have frequented stingray city (both diving and the snorkel type trips) and have never experienced any threat of violence from these gentle creatures; however, if threatened I can understand how they would try to protect themselves -- and, one of the crew said in an interview that he thought the creatures felt "boxed in" by the camera crew and the close proximity of Steve, and it reacted in the only manner it knew.

One of the reasons I dive is to see creatures such as these in their natural habitat -- part of my responsibility as a stranger in their environment is to respect their space and not try and touch or crowd these animals. I certainly hope this tragic incident doesn't dissuade anyone from future underwater exploration -- diving is a wonderful and, yes, safe hobby if approached with maturity and care.