PDA

View Full Version : Boston: Don't give city the cold shoulder

stephen_s
09-05-2006, 07:19 AM
Bostonians are an odd lot. We take our traditions seriously, we're deeply loyal, and, on the whole, we're thrifty. All of which bodes well for the diner searching for a bargain.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/08/31/trips...tion=cnn_travel (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/08/31/trips.local.boston/index.html?section=cnn_travel)

Ned
09-05-2006, 08:25 AM
That's a pretty darn good article except for the title. Generally, the restaurants it describes have first rate food, and they are inexpensive considering the meal you can get in them.

We never miss the Union Oyster House when in Boston. I'm not a big oyster fan, but they have the best clam chowder, New England style of course, and that corn bread is moist, delicious, and hot. I don't know about how "thrilling" watching a bunch of guys shuck oysters is, however, I might be seen there for lunch every day of a trip to Boston if I'm anywhere near the Union.

I don't agree with Ms. Julian about B&G Oysters. The bread they use for their lobster roll is too chewy and kind of sticks to the roof of your mouth, and the bacon over-powers the lobster. Who wants a lobster roll that tastes like bacon? The Franklin Café, a few blocks away, is even better than Ms. Julian described, and she's right about the line. Your wait can often be 20-40 minutes. The only problem I have with this restaurant is that it can get very loud, especially as the night goes by.

Upstairs on the Square in Cambridge is pretty much as described. The food is great, but I don't agree with Ms. Julian about price there. It ends up costing about $50 per person by the time you're finished dinner. The service there is friendly and excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to eat there.

At Teatro the food is terrific, and I'm not normally a "restaurant" Italian fan. I've been taken there twice by soccer friends who love this restaurant. Note that the noise level at this place is not for quiet conversation. In fact, the noise in Teatro can rival a rock concert. Due to the decibels I'm going to try my best to avoid coming here again.

Taiwan Cafe is a place I'd stop by for lunch, not dinner. Their specialty is "salt fried" which is just not my taste. The place is inexpensive and, as Zagat's says, makes great munchies, which makes it excellent for lunch. Jumbo seafood is a good Cantonese style Chinese restaurant. It's somewhat Americanized, in my opinion, but definitely worth eating there.

Note that I skipped Chef's Whim. It's just that I've never eaten there and know nothing about it. Maybe I'll have to check it out when I'm back in Boston in a few weeks. Thanks for the article Steven.

bodega
09-10-2006, 10:17 PM
We have been to Boston several times and there is a little diner in Beacon Hill that has a nice breakfast for $2.99 or so. Considering this is a high end area of Boston, finding this place was a surprise. We have eaten there on our last 2 trips to Boston. Now if I can only remember the street it is on, I could find the name of it on the internet.

There is a great fish restaurant at the Boston Park Plaza. My husband would go back there in a heartbeat. Their selection of fish on their menu was extensive. Fortunately for me, who doesn't eat fish of any kind, they have good salads, too.

I have to admit to enjoying the 'Cheers' place. Great fun!