PDA

View Full Version : Good-bye grits, hello quinoa

stephen_s
08-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Haute diners popping up in U.S.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/08/17/haute...tion=cnn_travel (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/08/17/haute.diners/index.html?section=cnn_travel)

jjjenny
08-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Has anyone ever tried quinoa? If so, what's it like?

weblet
08-18-2006, 11:06 AM
But please explain what it is first....

Kairho
08-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Quinoa (IPA: [ˈkiːnwɑ] or /kiˈnoʊə/) is a species of goosefoot (Chenopodium) grown as a crop primarily for its edible seeds. Considered to be a grain crop, it is a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, as it is not a grass. Its leaves are also eaten as a leaf vegetable, much like amaranth, but the commercial availability of quinoa greens is currently limited.

More details on Wikipedia

ebrener
08-18-2006, 01:13 PM
It's a grain from the Peruvian Andes, and it's widely used there. I may have tried it back when I was living there, but can't remember...

john225
08-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Like any good southerner, I'll stick with my grits!

stephen_s
08-18-2006, 11:16 PM
The first time I've ever heard of grits was from the TV Show "Alice" (Linda Lavin, Polly Holiday, Vic Tayback).

The first time I've eaten grits was in Raleigh, NC.

Ned
08-19-2006, 06:11 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stephen_s @ Aug 19 2006, 12:16 AM) 34869</div>
The first time I've ever heard of grits was from the TV Show "Alice" (Linda Lavin, Polly Holiday, Vic Tayback).

The first time I've eaten grits was in Raleigh, NC.
[/b]
OK, I'll bite, you didn't tell us if you liked the grits.

Everytime I think of grits, I think of the movie, "My Cousin Vinny," one of my favorite comedies of all time.

cole75
08-19-2006, 01:12 PM
ditto to My Cousin Vinny - "the two youts".. I just absolutely love Marisa Tomei and Joe Pesci in this movie...FANTASTIC.

Nicole

stephen_s
08-19-2006, 01:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ned @ Aug 19 2006, 04:11 AM) 34875</div>
OK, I'll bite, you didn't tell us if you liked the grits.

Everytime I think of grits, I think of the movie, "My Cousin Vinny," one of my favorite comedies of all time.
[/b]

Yes, I do like grits. Believe it or not, the Denny's over here in SoCal does give you the option to have grits instead of hash browns.

deangreenhoe
08-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Even being a Yankee, I came to grits as a youth since my flat mate for a good part of my early years (from age 19) was VERY southern. There was always a pot of grits on the stove on weekend mornings and I had them with gravy, brown sugar syrup, butter and probably a lot of ways I've forgotten. (Thankfully.)

I never did get the point of eating them, kinda like poi in Hawaii.

Of course, he about gagged when I was making pasties, boiling up rutabaga or frying parsnips to have with our dinner. For revenge he'd whip up a pot of ham hocks and mustard greens. It evened out. :rolleyes:

susanliber
08-19-2006, 04:43 PM
I thought my mother was the only person to make rutabagas and fried parsnips....she cooked them in the pressure cooker first, then fried them in butter...mmmmmmmm!!!

And rutabagas went into the soup or mashed up with butter......

john225
08-19-2006, 05:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deangreenhoe @ Aug 19 2006, 02:17 PM) 34895</div>
For revenge he'd whip up a pot of ham hocks and mustard greens. It evened out. :rolleyes:
[/b]

And what is wrong with a nice big pot of ham hocks and greens? Have it along side of a big skillet of fresh, hot buttered corn bread, and I'd be in heaven! Oh, and don't forget either the fried chicken or smothered pork chops!

deangreenhoe
08-19-2006, 06:28 PM
And what is wrong with a nice big pot of ham hocks and greens? [/b]

Other than it stinks like hell when you first start to cook it? :lol:

I actually learned to like the finished product. But I would often wake up to that smell late Sunday morning after one of the long nights out on the town during my misspent youth. It was supposedly a good old fashioned southern cure for a hangover. I thought vodka on my cornflakes worker better. :P

Susan, you should learn to embrace the rutabaga again. LOL. It's one of those old timey vegetables one doesn't see very often any more. I just happen to have one sitting on top of my fridge waiting for Sunday dinner as I type this. In my family we most often boil them up like taters (I can see why your mom used a pressure cooker...they are hard as a rock and take forever to cook!) then mash them with butter, cream, salt and pepper. Yummy! :D

bodega
08-19-2006, 06:46 PM
And what is wrong with a nice big pot of ham hocks and greens? Have it along side of a big skillet of fresh, hot buttered corn bread, and I'd be in heaven! Oh, and don't forget either the fried chicken or smothered pork chops!
_________________-
And this from a man who just had a heart attack :o

I must admit to drooling while I watched Paula Dean bite into her southern fried chicken and corn bread. Southerns do know how to put on a Sunday spread!!

pezmanffx
08-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Gee all I had growing up was fried herring, pickeled herring, creamed fish on potatos. Bread soaked in ham drippings. Just normal stuff. I've still never tried grits.

weblet
08-20-2006, 07:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pezmanffx @ Aug 20 2006, 07:04 PM) 34930</div>
Gee all I had growing up was fried herring, pickeled herring, creamed fish on potatos. Bread soaked in ham drippings. Just normal stuff. I've still never tried grits.
[/b]

All them Scandinavians 'round yer home town there, pez. Fried, pickled, creamed - love that herring. but ya gotta try the grits. I like 'em plain with butter. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm. I'm a chitlin' girl, too. However, I could never quite get into mustard greens and fried okra....

amybhole
08-21-2006, 08:37 AM
I've had quinoa, and I really liked it. It is served on the breakfast buffet at the Boma restaurant at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge. It had a sweeter taste like oatmeal, but was closer to the consistency of grits.

But as a good Southern girl, nothing will ever replace grits. But quinoa is probably much better for me!

jjjenny
08-21-2006, 09:55 AM
I am from the south but can't stand grits! I love fried chicken, mashed potatoes,peas and milk gravy with biscuits! Just recently tried greens and really like them too.

bini8104
08-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Quinoa tastes fine but looks a little weird when cooked. Reminds me of tadpoles :)

pezmanffx
08-21-2006, 11:43 AM
I love fried okra and greens. I just cant seem to get over the looks of grits

ARTraveler
08-21-2006, 03:53 PM
jjenny - I'm with you. Southern through and through and I can't stand grits. Fried is the only way you'll get me to eat okra, but I love it!

Fried green tomatoes anyone???

bodega
08-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Oh, yum :huh:

susanliber
08-21-2006, 07:40 PM
now there is a picture!! :D :P :blink:

weblet
08-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Well, I can understand the grits - it's a texture thing. I can't even imagine eating oatmeal, yuck. And no to the fried green tomatoes...

bodega
08-21-2006, 09:43 PM
I had my first fried green tomato a few weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprise with the taste and texture. We were in NC and also tried the pulled pork sandwiches with cold slaw on top all served on a bun. Now that was addictive :) I also tried sweet potato french fries and sweet potato chips. Those were darn good!!

Years ago we were on Kauai and a hawaiian was talking to a bunch of people and I overheard him compare grits to poi and that they both are like wall paper paste. The southerns in the crowd loved the comparison. I have tried poi and if grits taste like that, I will pass :P

jjjenny
08-22-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm getting hungry reading about all these fried foods and pork.

Happyjournalist
08-22-2006, 08:17 PM
www.specialfoods.com/pictures/quinoa.jpg

www.tedcancook.com/images/Quinoa%20cutlets.jpg

:D