PDA

View Full Version : Marley & Me

REDJIM
08-10-2006, 03:53 PM
This book is a phenomenon!

Any tripso correspondents read it?

Any thoughts on what the read engendered in you?

jsamm7769
08-10-2006, 04:34 PM
This book is a phenomenon!

Any tripso correspondents read it?

Any thoughts on what the read engendered in you?

Redjim,
I read the book TWICE. Best book ever. I laughed so hard that all the other passengers on an Air Jamaica flight looked at me like I was looney. Lauging out loud one minute, drying a tear the next. Do you know they are making the book into a movie?? Can't wait for it. My yellow lab puppy RUBY is a spitting image of Marley Not so big, but OOOOOO so bad.

mtp51
08-10-2006, 04:46 PM
W O N D E R F U L Book!!!!

jjjenny
08-10-2006, 04:49 PM
I usually don't read books that involve animals because they usually end up with the animal dying and I can't help but cry. Ya'll make this sound like a good book, though, I'll have to look at it in the bookstore.

jsamm7769
08-10-2006, 04:50 PM
I usually don't read books that involve animals because they usually end up with the animal dying and I can't help but cry. Ya'll make this sound like a good book, though, I'll have to look at it in the bookstore.
JJJenny,
All i can say is the entire book is well worth a few tears!!! Enjoy.

REDJIM
08-11-2006, 10:48 PM
The book has "legs" in my family, jjjenny. Our pups chose it to give as a Christmas present to my BH. Dear wife wound up buying copies for her friends. I didn't read it until July. Sped through the narrative until the scene where Grogan described his walk with Marley up the hill to the church. I closed the book then, knowing how it was going to end, and not wanting to go there emotionally. It only stayed closed for about two days, because I had to salute Marley's life and the power of John Grogan's narrative.

This is not a plug! Visit the website: www.marleyandme.com (http://www.marleyandme.com)

jsamm7769
06-02-2007, 11:27 AM
I know I'm digging up an old post here, but I had to share!!
In two weeks, my daughters and I are going to get to meet the author John Grogan. He'll be here locally for a book signing promoting his new "junior" edition of Marley and Me. I can't wait!!

Gesualdo
06-11-2007, 11:35 AM
I found it in my library and checked it out. That was a mistake. I should have gone to the bookstore instead. Best book ever! I've told everyone crossing my path to read it.

And then I was at a loss for what to read, when I finished it. I'm on to "Catch Me If You Can." I recommend that one too.

ARTraveler
06-11-2007, 04:55 PM
I read most of it. I quit at the part where Marley started getting older. I guess I'm too tenderhearted and can't bear reading about when pets pass on.

Gesualdo
06-12-2007, 10:54 AM
I read most of it. I quit at the part where Marley started getting older. I guess I'm too tenderhearted and can't bear reading about when pets pass on.

I had a hard time with that part. There were lots of happy moments in there, but I had to keep a box of tissues close.

Frankly, Marley reminds me a lot of my own Wolfie (see my avatar). She has a lot of the same behavior problems, but at 22 pounds, she's controllable. Marley's storm terrors were especially familiar. It's pretty clear that he was very smart and because of it, independent as well. Independent dogs are great...until you need them to do something specific (or stop doing something specific). Sometimes I think that while training dumb dogs takes longer, it's easier in the long run because they do less thinking for themselves.

jsamm7769
06-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Sometimes I think that while training dumb dogs takes longer, it's easier in the long run because they do less thinking for themselves.

I couldn't have said it better. My 2 year old yellow lab is ADHD i swear!!. But She's the best.

Marley and Me was just the best book. I can't wait until Saturday, when i get to meet John Grogan. My youngest daughter who is 10, is almost finished his new book "Marley" it is geared towards the pre-teen age kids. Same story, just some of the more 'adult' subjects taken out. She loves it!!

I'll let you all know about meeting John Grogan.