PDA

View Full Version : Please Don't Make me go on Vacation!

mtp51
08-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Even as the American vacation is dying, the anxiety surrounding it is surging, according to surveys of workers released in the last year. Employees are sweating over every aspect of their getaways, from whether taking time off dooms them to the want ads to whether the work they will face when they return will keep them from ever leaving their cubicles again. And if they finally do make their escape?
“You picture this great fantasy trip and it’s nothing like you ever imagined in your head,” said Randi Friedman, 27, a publicist in Manhattan who likened this lofty expectation to the high hopes Bridezillas have for their weddings.

“Nothing will ever be good because you have an expectation level that’s so high,” she said. “And that’s the problem.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/10/fashion/...amp;oref=slogin (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/10/fashion/10vacation.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin)

bodega
08-11-2006, 10:45 AM
I think this is one the lessons in life that we learn as we grow older, and that is not to have expectations. When I have had expectations, I have always been disappointed. When I just go with the flow, things seem to go more smoothly and I enjoy the trip.

On this summer's vacation I didn't follow my own rule on one part of our trip and I was't a happy traveler. The rest of the trip I didn't know what to expect and I had a great time.

tdew
08-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Bodega's right - expectations that are too high are doomed to failure. Keep the spirit of adventure alive and don't expect everything to work out exactly as you planned.

Ned
08-11-2006, 03:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tdew @ Aug 11 2006, 01:35 PM) 34214</div>
Bodega's right - expectations that are too high are doomed to failure. Keep the spirit of adventure alive and don't expect everything to work out exactly as you planned.
[/b]
Has anyone ever taken a vacation which worked out exactly as planned? While I have been on some trips which had horrid moments due to failing plans, I have also had many incredible times on trips precisely because plans didn't work right.

jfrenaye
08-11-2006, 03:43 PM
I am expecting to get on a plane on Sunday and expect it will land not too late. Further, I expect to get on a boat by 5pm, and beyond that, my expectations can most likely be found at the bottom of some sort of alcoholic drink! At least for a week!

Kairho
08-11-2006, 03:45 PM
As we sell only Africa, we tell (in writing please) all our customers that they should expect problems, inconsistencies, and inanities. A ways back I got a call from a couple after they returned complaining that they had gone through their entire 2 weeks without one problem ... and they were disappointed!

Fortunately, (and you will never hear this sentence anywhere else) when they got to the airport Air France had no record of them for their return flight. Apparently they jumped up and down and high fived each other because they finally were having an adventure!

The rest of the story: my people in country made a quick phone call to a friend of mine, the Director of Operations, and they were not only given their seats, but upgraded to business class for the 11 hour flight!

bodega
08-12-2006, 11:49 AM
That is funny Kairho :lol: It is just so hard to please clients these days :P

jjjenny
08-14-2006, 05:49 PM
I really think most people have way too many expectations for their trips. I like to go with the flow and make the best of everything on vacation. If it's raining, I find something to do. If my hotel is not the greatest, I live with it. (unless it's spider infested, like Ned's room under another topic).

Ned
08-14-2006, 06:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jjjenny @ Aug 14 2006, 06:49 PM) 34518</div>
I really think most people have way too many expectations for their trips. I like to go with the flow and make the best of everything on vacation. If it's raining, I find something to do. If my hotel is not the greatest, I live with it. (unless it's spider infested, like Ned's room under another topic).
[/b]
You know, despite our tarantula infested room, that trip to South American including Peru, in which we saw Lima, Machu Picchu, Cuzco, and points in between was one of the best trips of all time. Of course that night, and that hotel...oh my!

We, of course, have never forgotten that night, but amazingly, no one who has heard the story of that evening has forgotten it either.

cole75
08-15-2006, 08:08 AM
I have a client that just purchased a ticket for the end of the month to Helsinki, she saved herself over $400 by going thru LHR (which she was trying to avoid, but for the money, she basically shrugged her shoulders and said sometimes things happen beyond our control when we travel and if something does c'est la vie) I wish that I had more clients like that!!
Nicole

Ned
08-15-2006, 02:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cole75 @ Aug 15 2006, 09:08 AM) 34538</div>
I have a client that just purchased a ticket for the end of the month to Helsinki, she saved herself over $400 by going thru LHR (which she was trying to avoid, but for the money, she basically shrugged her shoulders and said sometimes things happen beyond our control when we travel and if something does c'est la vie) I wish that I had more clients like that!!
Nicole
[/b]
Things are easing up in the UK. By the end of the month, except for the liquid and gel restrictions, I wouldn't be surprised if things will be back to normal including taking carry-on into the plane.