PDA

View Full Version : World Wikia

mtp51
08-08-2006, 07:31 AM
http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/article/20060808094534472

Ned
08-08-2006, 07:40 AM
While I periodically use Wikipedia, I am always leery about the information in it, because you have no idea how reliable the information actually is, since anyone can edit the pages.

ctrouth
08-09-2006, 10:52 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ned @ Aug 8 2006, 06:40 AM) 33709</div>
While I periodically use Wikipedia, I am always leery about the information in it, because you have no idea how reliable the information actually is, since anyone can edit the pages.
[/b]

I use wikipedia the same way I use most chats or forums online, a good source to discover about a topic that I don't know much about and see other people's opinions, but knowing that I will need to double check on information from other sources. I would use their travel information the same way.

Jeanie821
08-09-2006, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't. There's more reliable sources for travel information. However, I do use Wikipedia for other information.

drwong
08-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Their sources are probably just as reliable as any contributor-based travel site, like TripAdvisor, Expedia, or even Fodor's. And probably less biased than some of these travel blogs I've come across.

Ned
08-09-2006, 07:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(drwong @ Aug 9 2006, 08:10 PM) 33958</div>
Their sources are probably just as reliable as any contributor-based travel site, like TripAdvisor, Expedia, or even Fodor's. And probably less biased than some of these travel blogs I've come across.
[/b]
I think you're right about that, but at the same time, anyone who uses the resource has to remember its source when deciding whether to rely on the data. Too many people believe most everything they read on the Internet, or anywhere for that matter, merely because "it's in print." I can't tell you how often, when people come to me asking me to fix their computer, I've found out it's in trouble because they followed someone's directions to make it work better from the Internet. I'd bet the same is true with travelers coming to an Agent who respond to the Travel Agent's suggestions saying, "But that's not what I read on the Internet."