PDA

View Full Version : Burglarized in Bahamas

kvigil
07-01-2005, 12:55 PM
I could be wrong, but I would imagine that the LAST thing this traveler wants from Wyndham is an offer for two free nights at this same resort. She (and friend) are out more than $600. She has someone IN her room in the middle of the night when she is sleeping (yikes). In return she received a breakfast and a $15 charge for staying at this resort. Why would she return to this property? Does the Manager at Wyndham actually believe she would EVER return? That's why she was offered a 2-night stay - because they know she will never return to use it. She would have been better off if Wyndham gave her a $50 gift certificate to Target. She could actually USE that.

TravelGal30
07-04-2005, 10:07 PM
I imagine that you are right, the last thing that this traveler wants is to return to the resort where she felt violated. However, the traveler herself bears some of the responsibility. Why was she carrying only cash? Even those who do not have credit/debit cards can take measures to reduce their risk of being targeted for robbery i.e. prepaid credit cards, travelers checks. Being a wary traveler is being a smart traveler, especially if you are 2 women traveling alone and only carrying cash. This was not the sole fault of the hotel, although a meal voucher for dinner would have been appropriate.

DCTravelAgent
07-05-2005, 08:24 AM
On our second night, someone came into our room while we were sleeping and robbed us. The robber came in through the sliding glass door to the balcony and we were staying on the 7th floor. He took all of our money — $400 from me and $240 from my friend — some jewelry and a cell phone.

When I read this, I infer (perhaps incorrectly) that the writer assumed it was safe to leave the sliding glass doors unlocked (probably open to allow the lovely ocean breeze in) because she was on the 7th floor. Now I don't want to blame the victim - I am absolutely guilty of this myself in the Caribbean and the Bahamas - but it is not safe to leave to leave those doors unlocked EVEN ON THE 7TH FLOOR!! Always look at the architecuture - how difficult is it for the person in the next room to climb from his/her balcony to yours?

Also, I travel alone into the Caribbean a lot - inspecting resorts, etc. Even when I am in the room for the night, my valuables, my wallet, my Passport are ALWAYS, ALWAYS locked in the safe!

As for the two free nights at the Wyndham - look, this is a rare event. They should go back and enjoy the hospitality of the resort.

tvl counts
07-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Ditto, DC, on locking your balcony doors regardless of what floor you are in. Happened to my family in the Dominican Republic. We did look the balcony over and didn't think there was anyway someone could get in, but they did, using a string of tied together t-shirts as a rope. Our belongings were in the safe, but since it was an inside job (maintenance and security crew), that made no difference as they had a key. That resort offered us a free seven-night stay, but we were not interested in returning, even though I eventually got them to replace all cash, etc., and repay our expenses.

So, regardless of how high up in the resort you are, or how safe it seems...lock those doors!