PDA

View Full Version : Changing Seats on the Plane

Chanteuse L
06-28-2005, 05:29 PM
A few years ago, my husband's employer sent all of their managers and their spouses to Las Vegas for a sales meeting. All aspects of the trip were taken care of for us, and (for the third year in a row) my husband and I were seated on the plane SEVERAL rows apart.

Towards the end of boarding, I noticed that both the seats next to hubby were still open, so I asked a flight attendant if I could switch seats. She told me that this was fine. So I switched to the seat next to hubby. (He was on the aisle, so I took the center seat).

WELL! The very last guy on the plane just happened to have the window seat in our row. This guy was, shall we say, ROTUND. He literally took his own seat at a good two-thirds of mine. I asked the flight attendant if I could switch BACK to my original seat, due to the fact that I now only had a partial seat. She told that the plane was booked and apologized.

I "got to" spend the whole flight to Vegas sitting on my left hip. I didn't even have enough room to eat my breakfast (still got them in those days!). It was horrible!!! To "make up" for my "discomfort," however, I didn't have to pay for headphones! woo hoo.

I'm all for "all things equal..." but, for crying out loud...if you're too big to fit in ONE seat, then you should be required to purchase the total number of seats you need. Even though my husband's employer is the one who actually paid for my ticket, why should "Mr. Big" pay the same amount for 1 2/3 seats that I paid for 1/3?

Anonymous
06-29-2005, 12:09 PM
hard to believe someone could be that, shall we say, fat!!! I have yet to fly, and am working on a virtual reality program in NYC. I do know if you have a fear of flying they will accomodate you, and you could have said you were claustrophobic. A bit of dirty pool, most certainly. But it beats having your flight ruined.

missalf
06-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Guest Wrote:

hard to believe someone could be that, shall we say, fat

It's not just fat people -- last month I was in the middle seat, my husband at the window in an exit row. The boarding was just about finished, and we thought we'd have a little breathing room with the aisle seat empty, but the last gentleman to board was 6' 8", and probably 330 pounds of muscle. I spent the flight leaning on my husband (I'm not tiny either), with his arm in front of me -- I was uncomfortable to say the least, but I did feel sorry for the gentleman -- he tried to stay out of my personal space as much as he could, but there's only so much shrinking up you can do when you're crammed into a too-small seat!

I did a quick calculation based on the data found thru Google, and the average airline seat width is a whopping 16.75 inches; guess what the average American butt width is when seated? Yep, larger, according to another site found while googling; 17.45".

It ain't just fat people having trouble getting comfy in airline seats!

[/quote]

ajaynejr
07-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Chanteuse L@Jun 28 2005, 05:29 PM
I asked a flight attendant if I could switch seats.テつ* She told me that this was fine.テつ* So I switched to the seat next to hubby.テつ* (He was on the aisle, so I took the center seat).
WELL!テつ* The very last guy on the plane just happened to have the window seat in our row.テつ* This guy was, shall we say, ROTUND.テつ* He literally took his own seat at a good two-thirds of mine.テつ* I asked the flight attendant if I could switch BACK to my original seat, due to the fact that I now only had a partial seat.テつ* She told that the plane was booked and apologized.

You should have stayed in your assigned seat until after everyone else had arrived and sat down and the airplane door closed. Then, had the much larger guy ended up sitting next to you you could insist that the airline reseat you. You must follow through all the way up to the complaint resolution officer if needed.

Psst!: The flight attendatns much "rather" you keep quiet so the plane can depart sooner and none of them have to "take the late departuer" on their records. But if none of them have the wherewithal to ask for volunteers to free up a seat for you, they still don't get "the late" if you have the captain and then the CRO enter the picture.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

tdew
07-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Sometimes it just doesn't work the way you think it should!

On one flight I had the window seat. A woman got on and took the middle seat in the row. When the cabin doors closed and no one had claimed the aisle seat, I said to her "oh good, we'll have extra room" Instead of moving, she told me she was fine with the seat we had and she stayed there for the whole flight!

anneangel
07-25-2005, 03:26 PM
I agree!

I'm overweight, I admit it. But not by much and I find the seats and seat belts very uncomfortable. I'm not spilling on to anyone elses space, but I feel do darned cramped. I don't think we'll ever see a change to more space thought as airlines try and cram as many people per plane as possible!

Guest Wrote:
It's not just fat people -- last month I was in the middle seat, my husband at the window in an exit row. The boarding was just about finished, and we thought we'd have a little breathing room with the aisle seat empty, but the last gentleman to board was 6' 8", and probably 330 pounds of muscle. I spent the flight leaning on my husband (I'm not tiny either), with his arm in front of me -- I was uncomfortable to say the least, but I did feel sorry for the gentleman -- he tried to stay out of my personal space as much as he could, but there's only so much shrinking up you can do when you're crammed into a too-small seat!
I did a quick calculation based on the data found thru Google, and the average airline seat width is a whopping 16.75 inches; guess what the average American butt width is when seated? Yep, larger, according to another site found while googling; 17.45".
It ain't just fat people having trouble getting comfy in airline seats!

[/quote]

Guest_Soronian_*
08-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Yesterday while a being wonderfully assisted by an Admiral's Club employee at O'Hare's G Concourse Club, I overheard a man who approached the other agent to demand satisfaction because he had moved to a window seat to accommodate seating for a traveling family. Claiming that the AA Eagle flight attendant had promised him "compensation" if he moved from an aisle seat, which he prefers, to the window seat, and that the FA reneged on the deal when they landed, he wanted the agent to fix his problem. His compensation "suggestions" included providing him with a free Admiral's Club Membership or an upgrade to first class on his next European trip. Nice work if you can get it.

I have over 3 million miles flying on American flights and that's the first I've heard that a flight attendant could make these kind of deals. Has anyone ever had that happen?

(By the way, the Admiral's Club agent gave him a contact name with whom he could lodge his complaint - so far he's still empty handed.)

jfrenaye
08-01-2005, 08:09 AM
United customers are the worst (IMO). I was flying with a girlfriend to the left coast and got the last two seats in first--of course they were cattycorner from each other in the cabin. We both asked our respective seatmates if they would move and they refused--nastily. We then asked the remaining 8 people if they would move--none of them were couples and they all refused. A FA even went so far as to fib and say that we were flying out to get married, and the answer was the same--so what.

DCTravelAgent
08-01-2005, 09:28 AM
I once sat in the middle seat between two very large college football players. I would not call them "fat", but they were huge. Their shoulders were over on my seat!!!

PerfectJourneys
08-01-2005, 11:00 AM
John, I had a similar situation, but on American Airlines. When my husband and I were returning from a vacation on Virgin Gorda we had a layover in San Juan. While there, I phoned home from the Admirals Club and found out that my father had passed away that morning. Needless to say I was quite upset and only had about 15 minutes before boarding.
We had seats in first class, but not together. When we got onto the plane, my husband took the flight attendant aside, explained my situation and asked if she could see about getting us seats together. She approached the gentlemen in the aisle seat next to my assigned window seat and asked him if he would mind moving back one row and across the aisle to my husbands assigned aisle seat. The guy actually flipped out - I mean flipped out!! He was belligerent, rude and loudly told the flight attendant that no *$%#@!& way was he moving! She approached the passenger who was assigned the seat next to my husband and he basically said no as well, but not quite as rudely. By now, I was feeling really, really horrible. All I wanted to do was get in a seat next to my husband, lean on his shoulder and as privately as is possible on a plane, aborsb my sad news. On her third attempt she found two people willing to switch to our empty seats so that we could sit together. We were so grateful for her help and to those two people.
I understand that people can feel quite adamant about not moving just on principle, but I feel quite discouraged about our society's increasing inability to "do the right thing". So to those people who "position" themselves and are frequently inflexible, I would like to say: Have a little compassion folks, get outside yourselves every once in a while and for just a moment or two, think about someone else. You never know when you may wish the same consideration!

Jeanie821
08-01-2005, 11:17 AM
No, it's not just fat people...

I once had to fly America West with my dad, from JFK to Sacramento, with a plane change in Phoenix. Now, Dad is a retired pro wrestler (among other things) of the old school, who still hits the gym every day and is in top shape. The only trouble is that he's so built that he can't place his arms completely flat against his sides.

This wasn't a problem until we were flying home, and the first leg of the trip was from Sacramento to Las Vegas. It was a full flight, which meant no seat between us. I spent the entire one-hour flight at a 45-degree angle to my right, because I couldn't sit up straight!

susanliber
08-01-2005, 12:16 PM
I cannot imagine not trading seats with someone who needed it! What is the big deal? People should be glad they can give something that doesn't cost them any thing.....

GEESH!

It isn't like they were asked to donate a kidney or blood or money.....

08-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Okay two things. I generally fly Southwest because I'm usually taking flights that last 1 hour or less and it's do convenient so on the matter of people asking you to change seats I think generally they're rude for asking. On Southwest you board by how early you check in, if you are flying in a group or as a couple then you should check in early. Why should I have to change my seat and rearrange my stuff because you checked in late and you want to sit next to your friend/significant other... The worst are people who expect me to switch intoa middle seat because they want me to trade with their friend.

On the subject of obese passengers. Again flying on Southwest poses a problem, especially because it seems that big people alaways want to sit next to skinny people. If I paid for a whole seat then I want access to a whole seat. I don't want to "share" it with anyone. It's happened to me so many times that I've stopped complaining about it...

GradGirl
08-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Aug 12 2005, 03:49 PM
Okay two things. I generally fly Southwest because I'm usually taking flights that last 1 hour or less and it's do convenient so on the matter of people asking you to change seats I think generally they're rude for asking. On Southwest you board by how early you check in, if you are flying in a group or as a couple then you should check in early. Why should I have to change my seat and rearrange my stuff because you checked in late and you want to sit next to your friend/significant other... 6973

It happened to me: Mr. GradGirl and I arrived three hours early for a Southwest flight cross-country, for just the reason you state - so we could get seats together. The flight time was more than five hours. Those jerks at TSA decided to do searches at the gate, after we'd all already passed through the checkpoint, and they pulled both me and Mr. GradGirl out of line for the full treatment, unpacking our bags and fondling our bodies in a most unwelcome way. While this was going on, Southwest let everyone else board! We were the last two passengers on the completely full flight, even though we had "A" boarding group cards. Now, Mr. Guest, are you going to say we were rude to ask someone to move so we could sit together? We asked politely and were prepared for a no, but we definitely asked. People were nice enough to accomodate us.

In another case, we had confirmed reservations for seats together in first class on US Air. When we arrived, tickets and seating assignments in hand, the gate agent told us, sorry, your seat has been reassigned to someone else, and there are no two seats together anywhere on the plane. My seat had been reassigned to a Federal Air Marshal, the biggest seat stealers of all. Jerks. Anyway, in that instance also, we asked politely whether someone might be willing to move.

I suppose the substance of my statement is: it's not rude to ask. If moving is an extreme hardship for you, then politely say no. If moving isn't an extreme hardship for me, I'm always happy to accomodate an asker. And airport security is a big farce; from gate checks to air marshals: it's merely an expensive system for mistreating and abusing travelers.

ajaynejr
08-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Guest@Aug 12 2005, 03:49 PM
* I don't want to "share" it [my seat] with anyone. It's happened to me so many times that I've stopped complaining about it...

You are part of the problem. It takes more people to complain in order to make the airlines fix the problem.

ajaynejr
08-15-2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by PerfectJourneys@Aug 1 2005, 11:00 AM
The guy actually flipped out - I mean flipped out!!* He was belligerent, rude and loudly told the flight attendant that no *$%#@!& way was he moving!*

Shame on the flight attendant. That jerk should have been put off the plane even if there was nobody else on the plane at all. Perhaps given the choice of getting back on in exchange for an on the spot one hundred fifty dollar extra cash payment and the promise to be docile throughout the flight understanding he might be restrained otherwise.

thuctrang
08-15-2005, 10:59 PM
All airlines should make it clear on the policy of a person who takes up more than 1 seat. If necessary, they should be charged accordingly if they are occupying 2 seats. It's uncomfortable enough for an average person in any seat on the plane, without sharing. I have travelled on overseas flights with my lap child sharing a seat with me so it's hard to give up even part of the narrow space that we are in.

thuctrang
08-15-2005, 11:12 PM
I don't know why people need to be rude when they are asked to switch seats. We travel with 4 kids under 12 yrs old, so it would be logical to have them near to keep watch on them. There are people out there who have no problem and do not need to be asked twice. Lately, I have encountered many who gave us such evil glare when asked to trade seats. I am not a vicious person, but when that happened, I feel like telling to my kids to be at their worst. In the end, we just make do with splitting ourselves up to take care of our family, one group from the front of the plane and the other group at the back.

09-05-2005, 10:24 AM
If its not too much of a inconvenience, I will happily change seats if I am asked nicely. I will not move if the request comes to me as a demand or order which unfortunately, is how most people tend to "request".

kmkowalczuk
09-09-2005, 09:39 PM
In the past I have always tried to accomodate people if they ask me to move or trade seats, especially if it is a short (less than 3 hours) flight.
A recent experience has made me reconsider.
I was in first class second row window seat and a man and his 10 year old daughter had seats across the aise from each other. He asked if I would take the aisle seat across so he and his daughter could sit next to each other. I said yes, I was happy to do so. Boy, did I ever regret that decision!! I ended up sitting next to a very large man who had to get up at least three times during a five hour flight in the middle of the night. I really wanted to get some sleep on that flight and he made that impossible for me to do. I"m sure he didn't do that on purpose, but, nonetheless I was the one who was miserable. On my return flight I made the decison in advance that I would not trade seats.
Next time, I will consider my own comfort and circumstances prior to agreeing to swap seats. The man and his daughter would have been fine sitting across the aisle from each other and I would have gotten some sleep. :rolleyes:

bini8104
09-16-2005, 12:36 PM
There is trading seats and there is trading seats. I will gladly do an even trade,window for window or aisle for aisle. But I will not give up a decent seat for a middle seat or a seat waaaaaaaaay in the back of the plane. I would be uncomfortable even suggesting it to someone.

candyharrington
09-16-2005, 06:57 PM
I too have had a number of bad experiences (I travel for a living); however I'd like to share a *good* experience with you.

My husband and I were traveling together and we both had seats in the center bulkhead (me b, him d). Well, it really didn't matter to either of us -- we could see each other and we both had a lot of work to do. Anyway, the lady seated in the aisle next to him asked if we were together and then insisted that I change seats with her. I told her no thank you, because let's face it who wants a center seat!!. But she was downright insistent, so I did switch. I always think of her now if somebody asks me to switch seats:)

Candy

Annette
09-16-2005, 10:19 PM
I had a woman ask me if I wanted to switch seats on my flight earlier this week. She didn't actually ask if we could switch, but if I wanted to. I was flying Westjet and had gone online the night before to check in and pick out my seat, so I was quite happy with where I was (aisle seat, back of the plane). She seemed to think I'd be happier in her window seat though. She asked me three times if I wouldn't like the window seat.

What made it really strange though is that the plane had come from YVR and this was just one of a few stops on its route, and she had been on the plane from YVR already. So in other words she had already been in the window seat for 1 flight, I don't know why she wanted to switch seats when she was already established in that one.