PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with Pets


marielmsheen
06-05-2006, 11:26 AM
My 12 lb Shih-Tzu has about 8 roundtrips from Florida to Germany. After 9/11 the cost changed in each individual airline. Some like NW wre just a pain to figure out. Delta kept the flat rate, as did USAir. (not cheap) BUT - as she got older (she is now 16 and winter of 2004/2005 was her last flight)

I now go with LTU out of Orlando. Reasons: 3

1. Direct flight, no change of planes

2. German airline and crew. Germans are fantastic with dogs!

3. Being allowed 2 checked bags, if I have only one, the kennel complete with dog goes as the other. No additional charge. A savings of over $250!

Our vet did not recommend tranquilizing. Her kennel is in the hold in a particular place. It is dark, the motors roar, and she sleeps.

I carry a bottle of water and a plastic bowl. She is "watered" before being checked in as large baggage. (Both!) Upon arrival, once we are through customs (Being sure paper work is in order and at hand.), we make a beeline to the nearest exit, take her out of kennel, and then again, she is watered (Both!) Some trips have been as long as 18hours and she has been just fine.

Research the airlines for cost and parameters.

Ned
06-06-2006, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by marielmsheen@Jun 5 2006, 12:26 PM
My 12 lb Shih-Tzu has about 8 roundtrips from Florida to Germany.* After 9/11 the cost changed in each individual airline.* Some like NW wre just a pain to figure out.* Delta kept the flat rate, as did USAir.* (not cheap) BUT - as she got older (she is now 16 and winter of 2004/2005 was her last flight)

I now go with LTU out of Orlando.* Reasons:* 3

1.* Direct flight, no change of planes

2.* German airline and crew.* Germans are fantastic with dogs!

3.* Being allowed 2 checked bags, if I have only one, the kennel complete with dog goes as the other.* No additional charge.* A savings of over $250!

Our vet did not recommend tranquilizing.* Her kennel is in the hold in a particular place.* It is dark, the motors roar, and she sleeps.

I carry a bottle of water and a plastic bowl.* She is "watered" before being checked in as large baggage.* (Both!)* Upon arrival, once we are through customs (Being sure paper work is in order and at hand.), we make a beeline to the nearest exit, take her out of kennel, and then again, she is watered (Both!)* Some trips have been as long as 18hours and she has been just fine.

Research the airlines for cost and parameters.
27881

Wow, I'm glad to hear she's always been fine. I think your vet is right about not sedating her. With our last dog, we even stopped having her teeth done at 15 because having her put under to do her teeth was getting iffy. We just brushed them the best we could at that point.

weblet
06-06-2006, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Ned@Jun 6 2006, 05:18 AM
Wow, I'm glad to hear she's always been fine.* I think your vet is right about not sedating her.* With our last dog, we even stopped having her teeth done at 15 because having her put under to do her teeth was getting iffy.* We just brushed them the best we could at that point.
27945


People brushing their pet's teeth - I realize it's an important thing to do as many pets lose their teeth due to poor dental health. But the images it conjures!! :lol:

deangreenhoe
06-06-2006, 07:23 AM
The brushing isn't so bad. But have you ever tried to floss an irritated 100 lb. German Shepherd?

(He types with the three remaining fingers on his right hand.)

REDJIM
06-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by deangreenhoe@Jun 6 2006, 07:23 AM
The brushing isn't so bad.* But have you ever tried to floss an irritated 100 lb. German Shepherd?*

(He types with the three remaining fingers on his right hand.)
27965


Ha, ha, ha, hahahahaha!

bodega
06-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Deano you are too much!

I have been noticing a lot more people with smaller dogs. What I have been hearing is that as an aging society(I am not old, I am not, I am not!!) we want to be able to take our dogs with us and placing them in the hold of a plane isn't an option, so little dogs that fit in a carryon and can be kept with us, is the big rage right now. Taking our dogs places is move acceptable now and cities have been changing their ordiances so restaurants can allow pets and pet dishes for water can be placed on the floor. Leave it to the Boomers to get things changed :rolleyes:

When they let a german shepard with an attitude, who doesn't like her teeth being flossed, sit next to me on a plane, I will be driving my car :D I won't sit next to a dog with bad breath :D !!!!

deangreenhoe
06-07-2006, 03:45 PM
I won't sit next to a dog with bad breath* !!!!

Believe me, I'd take dog breath over some of the seatmates I've had over the years any day. :lol:

Miss Z has special dog chews that make her breath minty fresh! They have chlorophyll and parsley in them. I think they are kind of tasty too. :P

Kairho
06-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by bodega@Jun 7 2006, 04:33 PM
Taking our dogs places is move acceptable now and cities have been changing their ordiances so restaurants can allow pets and pet dishes for water can be placed on the floor. 28196

Just last week this was passed into law in the entire state of Florida. Subject to local approval and, of course, individual restaurants can decide. Only for outdoor tables, however.

jjjenny
06-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Hey Dean, I know a lot of people who need those dog chews.

travel
06-08-2006, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Kairho@Jun 7 2006, 04:52 PM
Just last week this was passed into law in the entire state of Florida.* Subject to local approval and, of course, individual restaurants can decide.* Only for outdoor tables, however.
28201


There are also hotels where not only are pets acceptable, they are encouraged, and the staff will arrange for dog beds & bowls in your room, and treats at the front desk.

marielmsheen
06-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Forgot to say that I take LingLing (now 16 Shih-Tzu) with me to Germany because I am gone for a good 3 months.
The "hold" has a place for pets. They are not beside your suitcase. In-cabin is not allowed on long flights.
In-cabin space is limited per flight. Different airlines, different rules.
Germany lets dogs in restaurants, always has. A bit disconcerting for me, but they are usually well behaved. Once in a while there has been a dog to dog altercation while one was passing the other. There seems to be no doubt in Germany who is the master - man or dog. Seldom a disobedient pup, and never an adult dog = at least in public!