PDA

View Full Version : Trip Insurance

makfan
03-28-2005, 03:18 PM
If one has a medical condition that is normally under control with medication but which might require a doctor visit, what can be done for trips outside the US? I know relatively little about travel insurance policies.

jfrenaye
03-28-2005, 05:41 PM
If you have a medical condition trip insurance is almost mandatory in my opinion. Most of the carriers will cover any pre-existing conditions (diabetes, pregnancy, etc.) for you AND others that may affect your trip. So, if your mother who has heart disease has a heart attack and you need to return early--you are covered. It only covers the pre-existing conditions of you, and immediate family as defined in the policy.

The caveat for the pre-existing conditions is that the policy MUST be issued within a short time of the initial deposit on the trip--typically 7 to 10 days.

Sue
07-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by makfan@Mar 28 2005, 04:18 PM
If one has a medical condition that is normally under control with medication but which might require a doctor visit, what can be done for trips outside the US?* I know relatively little about travel insurance policies.

Sue
07-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Sue@Jul 26 2005, 11:28 AM

You can purchase insurance within 14days of your deposit to and it will cover "pre-existing conditions.

NW CTC
07-26-2005, 01:24 PM
You can purchase insurance within 14days of your deposit to and it will cover "pre-existing conditions.

Sue, that depends entirely on the company issuing the policy. My rule of thumb for pre-existing conditions is: purchase it the same day as the trip deposit just to be safe and don't assume that all companies operate under the same rules.

carco23
08-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Also, check the fine print about pre-existing medical conditions. I know that some insurance companies will only cover pre-existing medical conditions is those conditions are considered stable for a period of up to 90 days.

I have found that the best policy when shopping around for insurance is to talk to the companies directly. There are so many exceptions and strange rules that it's important for you to be clear on the benefits.

travel
08-04-2005, 06:39 PM
I won't mention any company names here, but every few years when we sign an agreement to provide a particular company's trip insurance to our travelers upon reservation, we compare multiple polices, and there are MANY out there, with lots of different coverages and restrictions.

In my opinion, the best one not only allows you 15 days to purchase the insurance, should you choose to purchase it after the initial period is passed (or the mail is slow and you don't get it in time, which happens more than I would like) they still cover pre-existing conditions that have not been treated within the last 60 days.

Make sure you read and understand the fine print, and compare different policies. A good, reputable company will talk honestly with you about the differences in the policies you are considering. And in today's world, be sure you understand what is covered in the event of a terrorist situation or an act of war (and how the companies define them). I don't know of any company that covers both, and some cover neither.

travel
08-04-2005, 06:44 PM
And one more note, I have one couple who didn't buy travel insurance because "nothing ever happens to us" but unfortunately their grandson was in an accident and they were out in excess of $20K. Another couple who grudgingly purchased the insurance was very glad they did when the husband took ill the first day, was hospitalized, and had to be evacuated. The wife eventually wrote to me and said, "That was the best $700 we ever spent. You need to tell everyone that if you can't afford the insurance, you can't afford the trip."

apextex
08-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by [email protected]@Aug 4 2005, 06:44 PM
And one more note, I have one couple who didn't buy travel insurance because "nothing ever happens to us" but unfortunately their grandson was in an accident and they were out in excess of $20K. Another couple who grudgingly purchased the insurance was very glad they did when the husband took ill the first day, was hospitalized, and had to be evacuated. The wife eventually wrote to me and said, "That was the best $700 we ever spent. You need to tell everyone that if you can't afford the insurance, you can't afford the trip."

I must add one more note, a warning to any one who purchases trip insurance.
Be certain to get conversations with insurance company recorded or in writing before assuming you are covered for anything! I could not believe the experiance
I had a little over a year ago. I was told after my Mom got sick to go ahead and cancel my family trip, not once but three times by the insurance company and that I was 100% covered. When all was said and done ( approx. one month of filling out all the hospital and doctor forms) the insurance company replieded that I did not have cancellation insurance. I asked why they didn't tell me that the first time I called, it would have been so easy to make a good decision with good information? Of course they didn't have a good answer! I could go on and on and on, but you get the moral of the story. It means nothing what someone says on the other end of the phone, get it in writing or record it!!!!

jfrenaye
08-06-2005, 07:20 AM
I would be careful about recording--remember Linda Tripp!

But good point, ask for anything and everything in writing. They can email or fax to you and your butt will be covered, but do not be surprised if they resist--after all most of the people you speak with at the insurance companies (at lease before filing a claim) are sales people and NOT adjusters.

Here is a link to a coluimn on Tripso that addressed the Travel Insurance needs:
http://www.tripso.com/archives/2005/03/travel_insuranc.html

and a follow up on just generally staying well on the road:
http://www.tripso.com/archives/2005/04/12_wellness_tip.html

Kairho
08-06-2005, 07:46 AM
I am astonished that it even has to be mentioned to get it in writing. Wouldn't that be SOP?

We (tour operator) provide a printed copy of the complete policy with final documents (if insurance was purchased). We also have an insurance company approved statement of coverage on our web site and, upon request, are pleased to send out a copy of the written policy (this latter being more than you can get with many insurances).

There's no excuse for a consumer not to know what is being purchased.

jfrenaye
08-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Of course the policies are in writing, I was addressing any future discussions in the wake of a claim--the one poster mentioned that AFTER the policy was purchased they were told by the carrier to go ahead and cancel as they had cancellation insurance, yet when they put in the claim it was denied.

Had that "go ahead and cancel you are covered" been in writing, the insurance company would not have had a leg to stand on.

Suzanne A
08-08-2005, 07:28 AM
I have been a travel agent for 17 years (after working 12 years in the Intensive Care Unit) and agree with John, but you must know there is a WIDE variety of travel insurance coverages. Some do not cover pre-existing conditions at all, some only include pre-existing conditions of the traveler, some have disease exclusions, and some will only include this if you have been medically stable for six months prior to purchasing the policy. Others are more inclusive but still have "quirks". If you made your deposit on any item in your trip more than 14 days ago, it will be tough to properly insure you for pre-existing conditions. Travel insurance is one of the trickiest things in the business, and I have spent the last ten years studying the various policies and which ones to sell. It is amazing what this business can "put over" on the public if you are not cautious.

blakej
08-08-2005, 11:40 AM
I am glad to see this come up, here in Canada we have our medical system which no where near covers sickness in the USA. I am surprised by the amount of people who do not think it is necessary to take out extra medical insurance for trips to USA. I have heard of many seniors (Snowbirds) who have been bitten and paid the price for not taking out extra insurance.