PDA

View Full Version : GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work

Greta
05-20-2006, 12:02 PM
This is a very simple message, and a very simple feat to accomplish. If you don't think it's important enough to pass on, just think of last week's news, when the Exxon executive was discussing his $51 million retirement package. Let's stop funding that nonsense! Pass it on!!

GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It ' s worth your consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go high er!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We nee d to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the
marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out at this point.... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people.

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us sends it to at least ten more (30 x 10 =3D 300) ... and those 300 send it to at lea st ten more (300 x 10 =3D 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE
>>>>HUNDRED MILLION >>>>PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am, so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you?

Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN.

THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Kairho
05-20-2006, 01:23 PM
I appreciate the concept, but you're not going to get the selling price to be below the cost of raw materials (currently about $1.65/gallon) if for no other reason than it would be illegal to sell below cost. Then there is the cost of refining and transportation, plus the taxes.

If you aim for the sum of those four, plus about 10% profit for the retailer and oil company, then you may have something.

As I understand it, the profit is currently in that 10% range, leaving only the taxes generally in play. Or you can try to manipulate the worldwide market for oil!

And, speaking of manipulation, assuming 300 million people do boycott Exxon/Mobil completely and start purchasing from others, then won't the demand for fuel from those others create shortages, thereby driving the price up, not down? E/M may then reduce their price 10% or so to their cost (below which they cannot legally trade) and people would be driven by their pocketbooks and flock back to E/M. The others would then lower their price to compete! And we would be right back where we started. Ah, the beauty of an efficient market.

No, the only way to reduce the price at the pump is to use less oil in the first place.

BarkingLeopard
05-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Very good analysis Kairho. I'm no economics expert, but I'm impressed- you make more sense than most politicians, though that's not saying much. ;)

stephen_s
05-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Right, Kairho. Heck, I stopped going to Mobil a long time ago when their credit card operation screwed me (long story).

ARCO is supposed to be the cheapest here in Southern California, but their prices are over $3.00 too. They're, at times, more expensive than the non-mainline brands.

Location also plays a part. I live in Los Angeles County and I can't find any station that sells regular for less than $3.27 a gallon. If you go near the freeways, with rare exceptions, the prices go up to $3.37 a gallon. Some even go to $3.47 a gallon or more.

Kairho
05-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by stephen_s@May 21 2006, 08:49 PM
Location also plays a part.* I live in Los Angeles County and I can't find any station that sells regular for less than $3.27 a gallon.* If you go near the freeways, with rare exceptions, the prices go up to $3.37 a gallon.* Some even go to $3.47 a gallon or more.

Interesting. Here in Florida it's just the opposite with the cheapest fuel generally being at the Interstate exits, at the truck stops.

Jason's Storm
05-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Check out snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp).

While it is an interesting idea, we will eventually have to buy gas anyways, and the only person it hurts is the ma and pa gas station owner. Best we to fight it is by getting a hybrid car.

~JS

john225
05-25-2006, 08:00 PM
As requested, I am closing this thread. As shown in Jason's post, this has been reported as false, and the original posting is posted on Snope's word for word.

I don't think keeping this thread open any longer will serve any purpose.