05-11-2006, 06:53 AM
Hope no one had an upcoming cruise!

http://www.travelweekly.com/articles.aspx?articleid=51347

Ned
05-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by silver cloud@May 11 2006, 07:53 AM
Hope no one had an upcoming cruise!

http://www.travelweekly.com/articles.aspx?articleid=51347

I know someone who was to take that cruise and they told me it was fully booked. I've put the entire press release below (It's short), and Celebrity does seem to be making their customers whole in an especially fair manner. Their customers are getting both a full refund and a cruise voucher. It seems like the only financial problem, which could arise from the cancellation, is for anyone without trip insurance who did their own air arrangements, instead of having Celebrity handle it. The Celebrity press release doesn't address that. While the press release doesn't mention it, they are also refunding the land portion of the "cruisetours" associated with that cruise according to my friends.

Miami - (May 10, 2006 ) - Celebrity Cruises is canceling one sailing on Summit to replace the starboard thrust bearing in the ship's propulsion system. The ship must enter drydock to replace the bearing, which will result in the cancellation of its May 20 sailing. The ship is expected to return to its scheduled sailings on May 27.

The cancelled sailing is a seven-night Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seward. Summit is currently sailing a 13-night West Coast / Alaska cruise that will end in Vancouver, as scheduled on May 20.

Guests booked on the cancelled sailing will receive a full refund and a free Celebrity cruise from North America of up to seven nights, departing on or before September 30, 2007, excluding holiday and Celebrity Xpedition sailings. Travel agents will receive full commissions for the cancelled sailing, plus a $50 rebooking fee per stateroom when their clients reschedule their cruise.

"I sincerely apologize to our guests who are affected by this cancelled cruise," said Dan Hanrahan, president of Celebrity Cruises. "Although Summit continues to operate safely, this is a matter that must be addressed now. Our business is to provide the best vacations possible and I regret the disruption this will cause our guests. We will do everything we can to assist them onboard other sailings."

Celebrity has established a special help desk to assist guests and travel agents with rebooking, air transportation, land tours and other issues. That toll-free number is 1-888-281-9343.

The cancelled cruise is expected to have a negative impact on the earnings of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. of approximately $.04 per share.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a global cruise vacation company that operates Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises, with a combined total of 29 ships in service and five under construction. The company also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Canada and Europe through its cruise-tour division. Additional information can be found on www.royalcaribbean.com, www.celebrity.com or www.rclinvestor.com

jjjenny
05-11-2006, 10:07 AM
I have two clients booked on that cruise. They sent me a fax late yesterday and called me today. I have not been able to reach my clients yet and I hate having to tell them about this. They booked this cruise as a very special gift to themselves for their wedding anniversary. I have left messages on cell phones and a home phone.
I hope they will be pleased with the full refund and a future cruise for free!

Ned
05-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by jjjenny@May 11 2006, 11:07 AM
I have two clients booked on that cruise.* They sent me a fax late yesterday and called me today.* I have not been able to reach my clients yet and I hate having to tell them about this.* They booked this cruise as a very special gift to themselves for their wedding anniversary.* I have left messages on cell phones and a home phone.
I hope they will be pleased with the full refund and a future cruise for free!

That's really a shame. My wife and I specifically planned to spend her 60th birthday last summer in front of the Hubbard Glacier on Summit. We would have been really disappointed if our cruise would have been cancelled. I planned all manner of special things on that cruise. The crew went out of their way to ensure everything was perfect for her birthday. Celebrity is our favorite cruise line, although we love Crystal too and its smaller ships.

jjjenny
05-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Here is an update to my cancelled clients on Celebrity. They are now going to New York City, they have a nice hotel and plan to see some shows. I should have their refund back soon from Celebrity and yes, they were disappointed but are making the best of things. They know they are lucky to have a free cruise sometime in the future. A very nice couple!

bodega
05-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Glad to hear that your clients were workable with you and are able to do something else.

Did anyone hear anything about Celebrity's Infinity? I toured her on 4/17 when she was in SF and other agents in our office were suppose to tour her later in April. I was away for a 10 days and just asked them about the tour and they said it was cancelled due to the crew being sick. I went into Crusiejunkie, but I didn't see anything about a cancellation. Did the ship sail with ill crew members?

The Pride of Aloha had to go into dry dock. Hopefully this isn't a start of a rough cruise season?!!

Ned
05-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by bodega@May 13 2006, 01:33 PM
Glad to hear that your clients were workable with you and are able to do something else.

Did anyone hear anything about Celebrity's Infinity?* I toured her on 4/17 when she was in SF and other agents in our office were suppose to tour her later in April.* I was away for a 10 days and just asked them about the tour and they said it was cancelled due to the crew being sick.* I went into Crusiejunkie, but I didn't see anything about a cancellation.* Did the ship sail with ill crew members?

The Pride of Aloha had to go into dry dock.* Hopefully this isn't a start of a rough cruise season?!!

Hi B,

I follow Celebrity closely and I know of no 2006 cancellation of any Infinity cruise. Infinity did cancel a Hawaii cruise in 2005 to repair a thruster.

Earlier this year, Mercury did have two March cruises out of San Diego on which significant numbers of passengers and crew contracted the norovirus. Neither cruise was cancelled or shortened, as far as I know, and subsequent cruises on Mercury have been uneventful.

In September 2005, Celebrity announced that the itineraries of Millenium and Infinity would be swapped so no cruises would be cancelled. These are sister ships and are almost identical. Their staterooms are identically located. Both ships needed drydock time, and this way they both would be repaired without affecting any cruises. As scheduled, Infinity was in dry dock at the end of March 2006 through the beginning of April, which was scheduled. That planned drydocking didn't cause any cruise cancellations. Apparently this time they replaced the problem thruster completely, and did some other work as well, while it was in drydock.

If you find contrary information, please let us know.