PDA

View Full Version : 21st B-Day surprise

PGreen2552
04-20-2006, 01:13 PM
It was my 21st birthday and my aunt gave me a membership to a program called Travel Agents Go Direct. She told me since I finished college, knowing that I wanted to do a lot of traveling before I settle into a new job. This program really saved me a great deal of money which made it easier for me to go on more vacations. I'm able to travel domestically and internationally. It saved me substantial amounts of money on hotel accommodations and airline tickets. I really think that for $19.95/month I can't be pleased any better. Travel Agents Go Direct really made sure that everything was taken care of the way I wanted it. They made me feel comfortable with everything which really made everything much more enjoyable. I would recommend trying it out, you will like it. www.travelagentsgodirect.com

tdew
04-20-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm suspicious again

susanliber
04-20-2006, 01:21 PM
me too......

Is this the 2nd or 3rd today?

stephen_s
04-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Maybe we need some kind of questionnaire or waiting period before they can post.

weblet
04-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Run, don't walk. I don't think this place can decide if it's a travel club, or if it wants to be selling some sort of agent IDs to access discounts they're not entitled to (read: card mill). Any supplier should be suspicious of something like this.

The key is: *This is not an IATAN endorsed program. This Travel card is only to be used to redeem services and benefits outlined in this program. The main example they are using as a come on (the $35 a day cruises) are something you must be able to show you are a full time agency employee in order to access. Not something most people looking at this site will be able to do, and any agency employee won't need this site.

The fine print indicates they are associated/part of Bay Pines Travel, St Petersburg FL, although they have an address in Seminole. Sad that an agency is promoting this stuff, although maybe I'm reading it wrong. But I don't think so.

bodega
04-20-2006, 02:38 PM
This appears to be just like those hideous faxes sent out:
Bahama's Cruise, with 2 nights stay in Orlando, 2 night stay In Ft. Lauderdale for $99. The accommodations is those promotions and the places listed on the mention website are timeshares. Note:Husaband and Wife have to travel together. I call this a scam and the poster is one, too.

Also, anything like this from Florida should ALWAYS raise a reg flag.

Kairho
04-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Yup, it's another car mill scam. With a twist: $20 a month ... which is $240 a year, every year!

BYOFT
04-20-2006, 03:40 PM
What a scammer. This is no travel professional!

drwong
04-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by BYOFT@Apr 20 2006, 03:40 PM
What a scammer.* This is no travel professional!

Hence, Tripso hasn't put "Verified Travel Pro" beside his or her name! Note that this is a single posting from what appears to be a hit-and-run poster.

I've run into quite a few "become a travel agent" come-ons, and they all seem to come from Florida which appears to have an extremely loose registration process for travel agencies and anyone paying a fee to become one of their "independent agents." They've even created a lobbying group for themselves!

As I've discovered in my research, any monkey with a computer and a credit card can become an "independent travel agent" with no expertise or no experience, and can do so with the state of Florida's official blessing. I'd say that the original poster of this message was one of them, but at the risk of insulting VISA-holding computer-literate simians.

Ned
04-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by susanliber@Apr 20 2006, 02:21 PM
me too......

Is this the 2nd or 3rd* today?

Why be suspicious? This is clearly just another attempt to get free advertising for a dubious product. Dubious at best that is. At least people are trying harder to disguise their nonsense and their "free" advertising, but do they really think we're that stupid? It doesn't even take a half a brain to see through these.

Of course, why are we giving any time to this fraud and giving this guy the attention he seems to crave?

tdew
04-21-2006, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Ned@Apr 21 2006, 08:23 AM
why are we giving any time to this fraud and giving this guy the attention he seems to crave?

'cause it's fun to let him know that we know (in case he ever comes back...)

weblet
04-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Of course, why are we giving any time to this fraud and giving this guy the attention he seems to crave?

If someone new on the board runs across this post with no replies indicating we are of the opinion that this is a thinly veiled scam, they might think of that as an endorsement. Hopefully not, but people are people, you know, and yes they do think we're stupid.

pezmanffx
04-21-2006, 08:54 AM
Maybe there should be a section called "travel scams".

stephen_s
04-21-2006, 09:05 AM
It's just amazing that if it were real, that the OP doesn't come back to defend himself/herself.

drwong
04-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Ned@Apr 21 2006, 08:23 AM
Why be suspicious?* This is clearly just another attempt to get free advertising for a dubious product.* Dubious at best that is.* At least people are trying harder to disguise their nonsense and their "free" advertising, but do they really think we're that stupid?* It doesn't even take a half a brain to see through these.

Because there are tons of uneducated travellers out there looking to save a fast buck or two, and thinking they can do so by becoming a "travel agent." Remember those ads in the Wall Street Journal by "Global Travel International" "World Class Network" and "TravelCampus" saying anyone can be a travel agent and save thousands of dollars in fees and commissions? They've have raked in millions in dollars from unsuspecting individuals with this come-on. GTI brags that they collected fees from over 40,000 paying subscribers last year - not just the $20 a month, but thousands of dollars in initiation and registration fees!!! And if somebody tries to drop out after finding out that none of the promised benefits are there, GTI sends collection agents after them. GTI isn't selling travel -- they're selling MEMBERSHIPS!!!

Thus Ned, you can see that there are quite a few people out there with less than half a brain, and hopefully those with a little more grey matter will be reading Tripso before sending these modern-day matchbook universities their hard-earned money! :D

They're not only selling memberships - they're also selling a dream that comes with a very expensive price. And now these vaporous "independent agents" have formed their own lobbying group, NACTA, which purports to have the same legitimacy and clout as IATAN and ASTA - even using those names in their press releases to make it appear that they're equivalent.

Annette
04-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by drwong@Apr 21 2006, 12:23 PM
saying anyone can be a travel agent and save thousands of dollars in fees and commissions?24981

Oh yeah, those huge commission cheques.

I got one yesterday for a multi-day car rental for a client. After all the various processing fees it came to a whopping 68 cents....

stephen_s
04-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Annette@Apr 21 2006, 11:29 AM
Oh yeah, those huge commission cheques.

I got one yesterday for a multi-day car rental for a client.* After all the various processing fees it came to a whopping 68 cents....

Are you going to cash that or frame it, Annette? :lol:

Annette
04-24-2006, 09:54 AM
I'll save it up until I get another few of them and then take them in and cash them.

It's not the smallest one I've gotten though - that one was either 48 or 42 cents (can't remember now).

joyceandrews
04-24-2006, 01:03 PM
I got one for $.05 and I cashed it.

stephen_s
04-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by joyceandrews@Apr 24 2006, 10:03 AM
I got one for $.05 and I cashed it.

Speaking of a nickel (sort of). Did you know that the rock group Nickelback got its name because one of its members used to work for Starbucks and every time he gives change, more often than not, it'll be five cents, so he would say, "Here's your nickel back."