PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Mumps Epidemic Growing Quickly

Ned
04-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Are you traveling to the Midwest any time soon. I am, but I'm not worried as I had the mumps and it's highly unlikely I could get it again. Many adults are apparently not immune unless they've had the mumps or have recently recieved the Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR) Vaccine. You might not know it, but for many the immunization effect from the MMR Vaccine can and does dissipate over time. The CDC recommends that people over 50 are reimmunized with the MMR Vaccine. I strongly suggest that you review the CDC Recommended Adult Immunization Schedule (http://www.cdc.gov/nip/recs/adult-schedule.pdf) before traveling anywhere, and seriously consider following it precisely. I am. I think I can say that Tripso columnist James Wysong would agree, based on his recent column Taking the Shot (http://www.tripso.com/archives/2006/04/hepatitis.html).

Here's the latest on the epidemic as of today, 4/14/2006.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Federal health officials said Friday they are looking into whether air travel is spreading mumps through the Midwest.

In addition to Iowa, which has seen an epidemic of more than 600 suspected cases since December, according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention spokesman, other states reporting cases are Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska and Wisconsin. The agency has not yet released the name of the eighth Midwestern state.

Most of the Iowa mumps cases are on college campuses where close living quarters make an ideal breeding ground for the virus. (Watch as officials try to figure out how many people may have been exposed -- 1:45)

The CDC has initiated a multistate investigation, involving state health departments, to notify passengers who were potentially exposed to two mumps-infected travelers who took nine flights involving two air carriers. The agency has also been using a new software system to track air travelers who may be virus carriers.

The CDC has identified five Northwest Airlines flights taken on March 26-29 involving stops in Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan and Washington; and four American Airlines flights taken on April 2 involving stops in Arizona, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri and Iowa. (More on one passenger)

So far, no cases involving mumps transmission on those flights have been reported, said CDC spokesman Curtis Allen.

"We suspect the transmission would be very low on airline flights ... but probably not zero," Allen added.

The mumps outbreak is the nation's largest in 20 years, according to Allen.

"We suspect it was importation from another country. There was an ongoing outbreak in Great Britain recently," Allen said. "But we can't confirm that was the source."

Still, he added, "Many of these diseases (mumps and others) are just a plane ride away."

Mumps is caused by a virus and spread by coughing and sneezing, but it is not "as contagious as influenza or measles," Allen said.

The most common symptoms are fever, headache and swollen salivary glands under the jaw. Severe complications from the disease are rare but can include meningitis, encephalitis, inflammation of the testicles or ovaries and deafness.

Mumps is contagious from three days before a person feels sick until nine days after the onset of symptoms, according to a CDC statement. There is no treatment for the disease, the CDC says on its Web site; the disease must run its course.

The best protection against mumps, Allen said, is to be vaccinated. One dose is about 80 percent effective, and two, which is what most U.S. children get, work about 95 percent of the time, Allen said.

The introduction of the vaccine in 1967 has helped reduce mumps cases in the United States by 99 percent, he said.

sardine
04-18-2006, 02:04 PM
I will be traveling to Illinois in the near future, and I am not worried about this outbreak of mumps. When I was a kid, not only did I have the mumps on both sides, but whooping cough at the same time! The summer of my seventh year was a miserable one indeed! :(

mtp51
04-18-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm not afraid of traveling to the midwest because I live there. ;)

romanwarriors
05-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by mtp51@Apr 18 2006, 04:26 PM
I'm not afraid of traveling to the midwest because I live there. ;)

I also live in the Midwest (Nebraska), and I can assure you that the press is not blowing the mumps cases out of proportion (for once!). We have had several cases around here. I am not sure how serious it is, although I believe that I have been explosed a couple of times and have not gotten them. I work in a medical building where there are several doctors offices and it seems kind of hit and miss. Most people are not getting them, but occasionally someone does, so I am not sure how likely someone traveling through this area or on a plane that stops in the area is to contract the mumps themselves.

tdew
05-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Another childhood disease pops up!

My grandson just finished a case of Chicken Pox recently.
It seems even though kids are now vaccinated for Chicken Pox, they can still get it.
It's usually a mild case - and I'm happy to say that it was a mild one for him.
It surprised me though.
I thought I'd finished with them the summer all four of my kids got them one after the other... every other week.