PDA

View Full Version : How can I book a fare from itasoftware.com?

socrates
04-06-2006, 06:53 PM
I found a great fare using itasoftware.com's search engine. It gave me the booking codes. It is nothing too complicated, just SFO-LOn and PAR-SFO witha stopover in chicago on the way over. But my travel agent could not find it. Any suggestions? If you know a travel agent in the SFBay earea (east bay esp.) I would prefer to do it in person.
Thanks

weblet
04-07-2006, 06:50 AM
Need more info - what is it that ITA is quoting? If you can cut/paste it here we can look... :)

socrates
04-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by weblet@Apr 7 2006, 03:50 AM
Need more info - what is it that ITA is quoting?* If you can cut/paste it here we can look...* :)

Sorry if this doesn't look so great, I'm not sure I know how to past into here. There are several similar fares, some e.g. straight to london, different dates etc, but all of them seem to be outbound on united. I have located these specific flights on orbitz, but it is giving me double the price. One thing that might be odd (for all I know) is that it seems to count the SFO-CHI-LON under a single SFO-LON fare, and also counts PAR-SFO under a LON-SFO fare.
Thanks!!

San Francisco, CA to Chicago, IL: 1841 miles 3 hrs 56 min
United Airlines Flight UA870 on a Boeing 777 (jet) in coach class
(food for purchase, movie)
Departs San Francisco, CA (SFO) Fri, May 26 2:00p 3 hrs 56 min
Arrives Chicago, IL (ORD) 7:56p
1 adult in booking code W, covered by fare (A1) below

Chicago, IL to London, United Kingdom: 3940 miles 7 hrs 57 min
United Airlines Flight UA928 on a Boeing 777 (jet) in coach class
(dinner, snack, movie)
Departs Chicago, IL (ORD) Sat, May 27 6:18p 7 hrs 57 min
Arrives London, United Kingdom (LHR) Sun, May 28 8:15a
1 adult in booking code W, covered by fare (A1) below
Note: The flight from Chicago (ORD) to London (LHR) is overnight.

Paris, France to San Francisco, CA: 6284 miles 14 hrs 40 min
Lufthansa Airlines Flight LH4245 on a Boeing 737 (jet) in coach class
(snack)
Departs Paris, France (CDG) Wed, Aug 2 1:00p 1 hr 35 min
Arrives Munich, Germany (MUC) 2:35p
1 adult in booking code V, covered by fare (A2) below
Layover in Munich 1 hr 15 min
Lufthansa Airlines Flight LH458 on an Airbus A340 (jet) in coach class
(lunch)
Departs Munich, Germany (MUC) Wed, Aug 2 3:50p 11 hrs 50 min
Arrives San Francisco, CA (SFO) 6:40p
1 adult in booking code V, covered by fare (A2) below

Booking details
If you want to buy this ticket, it's probably best to use a travel agent (this ticket involves multiple airlines, which can get complicated). If you use a travel agent to buy this ticket:
If your travel agent is online and has an e-mail address, e-mail this itinerary to them
If your travel agent is not online, print out this page and fax/give it to them
It is very important to use exactly the same booking codes and fare codes that we've used on this page in order to match the price we've found.

Fare (A1): UA SFOLON WJWSN10E fare (rules) $274.00
Tax: US Transportation Tax $6.54
Fare (A2): LH LONSFO VJXANGE fare (rules) $269.00
Tax: US Flight Segment Tax $3.30
Tax: US September 11th Security Fee $5.00
Tax: US International Departure Tax $14.50
Tax: US Passenger Facility Charge $9.00
Tax: French Airport Tax 8.50
Tax: French International Passenger Service Charge 7.11
Tax: French Aviation Civile Tax 3.92
Tax: US International Arrival Tax $14.50
Tax: German Passenger Service Charge 11.88
Tax: German Airport Security Tax 6.00
Tax: US Customs Fee $5.00
Tax: US Immigration Fee $7.00
Tax: USDA APHIS Fee $5.00
Total for 1 adult passenger: $658.24
(as of Friday, April 7, 2006 2:03pm)

john225
04-07-2006, 01:31 PM
There is no V class available on LH on August 2 CDG/SFO.

socrates
04-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Thanks - I don't know why ita keeps showing these fares (and there are lots of them) that don't seem to be available.

john225
04-07-2006, 02:34 PM
When using ITA, you have to tell it to only look for available fares, otherwise it will give you everything.

weblet
04-07-2006, 03:09 PM
I saw the same thing - not available. When I look for the fare rules on the outbound the fare lists "no stopovers", although the return fare allows stopovers. Which when you then look for the thru fare it's not available... Doesn't it seem strange that it would give a LONSFO fare as applying to the return when this is an open jaw? (SFOLON/-PARSFO) There is no corresponding W or V fare PARSFO, so it prices way higher (like $1383).

I've never used ITA, so I have no way of knowing how accurate it usually is. Do you know, John?

socrates
04-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the response. But I think I *am* telling it to check available fares. The box that says "check seat availability" is checked. Try searching for SFO-LON 5.24, PAR-SFO 8.1.

weblet
04-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Well, I don't know what to tell you. This looks to me like ITA is having pricing problems because as far as I can tell what it is telling you is incorrect. The fare it is quoting is based on a roundtrip London fare. Since you are returning from Paris it should be pricing as 1/2 a London fare and 1/2 a Paris fare. The least expensive Paris fare for the length of stay you have is waaay higher than London. We can do an end run around that by connecting you back thru London so we get the London fare round trip, and there are inexpensive fares Paris to London. But then we get into availability and schedule issues. So, are you commited to UA? There are other carriers with similar fares. The other issue I see with ITA is that they are not quoting all the taxes/fees that apply, only about 1/2. I think it may be the fuel surcharges (typically a Q type fee) which I don't see listed anywhere on your post earlier. That alone is about $110.00.

So, with the schedule issues, and fare issues, questions would be:

Do you have to have the stopover in Chicago?

Do you have to fly UA?

Can you overnight in London on the return?

How flexible are you on dates?

I'm sure what I'm seeing is what your regular agent is seeing. So unless you can get ITA to ticket this, you're probably not going to get anyone to do it.

sadiqhassan
04-09-2006, 12:19 AM
ITA is slightly delayed in its fare listings. So it might show available seats in a certain class even though it sold out a few hours before you searched.

Cheers

Annette
04-09-2006, 08:31 PM
I had a client that was insistent on getting a fare that ITA had found, but I had the same problem. ITA was showing a fare that was a valid (ie real) fare but was no longer available. It took some explaining to her to get her to realize that the system wasn't showing current availability. ITA continued to show this fare for about a week after I had determined it wasn't actually available, I gave up checking it after that so I don't know if it ever didn't show it.