PDA

View Full Version : You'll Get What You Pay For

Snooks
03-20-2005, 06:59 PM
It was great that you received such service at luxury hotels after you complaned of bad service. But many travelers, me included, cannot afford to stay in luxury. If I did so, my traveling would be extremely limited. I don't stay in "dumps", but neither can I afford the Four Seasons or hotels of that quality.

Brooks
04-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Of course luxury hotels have (or bloody well should have) great service. However, even less luxurious hotels should treat their customers with respect and curtousy.

This is certainly true where I travel in Asia. The owners of the hotel where I stayed on the last project in Hsinchu always greeted me with a big smile when I arrived after a long day at the site. This was not a luxury hotel, but rather one where we had a negotiated long term rate of NT$500/day. This is roughly 10% of the cost of a 5 star hotel in Hsinchu.

WarmWaters
04-04-2005, 07:12 PM
In my limited experience, courtesy to guests is as much a function of where you are as of how much you've paid.

I've had better service in inexpensive places in Aruba than high-end hotels in London. (I'm not a fan of London for that reason)

makfan
05-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Brooks
Of course luxury hotels have (or bloody well should have) great service. However, even less luxurious hotels should treat their customers with respect and curtousy.

This is certainly true where I travel in Asia. The owners of the hotel where I stayed on the last project in Hsinchu always greeted me with a big smile when I arrived after a long day at the site.* This was not a luxury hotel, but rather one where we had a negotiated long term rate of NT$500/day. This is roughly 10% of the cost of a 5 star hotel in Hsinchu.

I recently stayed at a Comfort Inn in Omaha, and the staff was very nice. The person checking in immediately offered me their high-speed internet service (for free). They had a nice continental breakfast with fresh made waffles. I had not been looking forward to staying here, but all the nicer hotels were sold out. I was quite satisifed...they exceeded my expectations all around.'

silver cloud
06-02-2005, 12:24 PM
I've found that excellent service doesn't always extend to luxury hotels nor does it not extend to moderate priced hotels. Sometimes I'm just amazed at the service of a Best Western while staying (recently) at a Hyatt was absolutely appalling.

Usually what works best for me is to smile, be appreciative and compliment staff when they go above and beyond. (Of course, a couple extra bucks here and there doesn't hurt either.)

If you receive treatment that is sub-par, be firm but nice. If that doesn't do it, write the CEO...works for me every time.