PDA

View Full Version : "Legacy" of Poor Service

trojan
01-07-2006, 04:46 PM
I realize that this could have happened to me with any scareline, but it was a legacy carrier.

If what I read is correct, a problem for the legacies is that they have too many people on the payroll. The flip side is that they can (and allegedly do) offer better service.

I got to my connecting gate approx. two hours prior to my flight. An agent was actually there. So, since I really, really, really, wanted a bulkhead (or miracle of miracles an exit row) aisle seat, I asked if she could make it happen. I guarantee you that I was nice in the asking.

Without looking at me, she said she wouldn't for at least a half hour. Folks, there was not a soul other than myself anywhere near that gate. So I stood there until she looked at me. I then politely asked what other priority she could possibly have at that moment. She repeated that she would not do anything regarding my flight for a half hour.

Wordlessly, I left. The concourse service desk was not busy, so I went there. The lady tried to help me, made a special call, and reserved a new seat for me. This was more like it. Oops.

She was incompetant. I ended up across the aisle from an actual bulkhead seat. Thank God the pax there agreed to switch.

Anyway, the lady at the gate is all too typical in my experience. She was obviously a veteran and she was determined to "work" the way she wanted to, customer be damned. I hope she enjoys her pension. What? No pension to fall back on?

What a shame. Maybe she can get a job as a fry cook.

inquisitive
01-07-2006, 06:05 PM
There is no excuse for that kind of treatment, trojan. Would you mind letting us in on which of the legacy carriers treated you that way? I watch the program "Airline" too much to trust Southwest if I would have to connect with another flight. I am trying to determine if I should stay with American or switch to another legacy carrier. Besides, I am hooked on inflight movies.

missalf
01-07-2006, 06:23 PM
FWIW, I had this type of experience just three months ago. I arrived at the airport two and a half hours early and went to the gate. Nobody around but the two American agents manning the empty desk -- again, nobody around. I went up and asked to confirm my seat (printed the boarding pass on-line) and they wouldn't even look at me to say they couldn't help me for at least another hour. I said, very politely, "I'm sorry, you mean you can't even check to confirm my seat?" And then the lady sitting on the left finally looked up and said "No, we said we can't do anything for at least another hour, you're too early." They then ccontinued discussing one of their boyfriends and how they weren't sure if he was right and their weekend plans, etc, etc. I figured okay, be that way, so I called the AA customer assistance number while I was standing at the desk and conducted my conversation loud enough so they could hear what I was doing. I got a representative on the line fairly quickly and confirmed my seat assignment. I also asked if there was any reason why gate attendants could not confirm seats for a flight two hours and 10 minutes away (at that point I'd wasted 20 minutes with these two yo-yos) and they said no. Luckily, I already had the seat I wanted because by that time the lady on the right finally looked up at me (neither one bothered to stand up to address me, either) and if looks could kill I'd have been laid out flat.

So, Trojan, you're not alone in this type of experience. The least someone in a customer service position can do is make eye contact, the most is to do their job. Apparently that's too difficult for some people.

Oh, and inquisitive, I've flown Southwest probably six or seven times in the past 12 month period ( as well as American, America West, US Air, etc etc) and I've never experienced more than a 10 minute delay in arrival with them. To be honest, my on-time arrivals with them have been better than with the legacy carriers -- maybe it's the routes I fly, but take it for what its worth.

weblet
01-08-2006, 02:14 PM
You know, I don't mind being told "I can't help you" if it's at least being said politely....

Ned
01-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by missalf@Jan 7 2006, 08:23 PM
FWIW, I had this type of experience just three months ago.* I arrived at the airport two and a half hours early and went to the gate.* Nobody around but the two American agents manning the empty desk -- again, nobody around.* I went up and asked to confirm my seat (printed the boarding pass on-line) and they wouldn't even look at me to say they couldn't help me for at least another hour...

I had a similar experience with Air Tran last month for a flight from Phila., to Boston. In my opinion, it's not the airline, it's the miserable employee. You can run into them anytime, anywhere.

Jeanie821
01-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by weblet@Jan 8 2006, 03:14 PM
You know, I don't mind being told "I can't help you" if it's at least being said politely....

And if the CSR in question has at least made an effort!

Arkstfan
01-17-2006, 10:44 AM
You don't fly SW to get great service (though they tend to have very friendly stewards). You fly to get where you are going on time, cheaply.

Latest I've been on SW was about 20 minutes but was raining like a son of gun at St. Louis so we went around a few times.

travel
01-19-2006, 10:10 AM
I have had agents tell me that they are working another flight and that I would have to wait until they finished, but I've never had quite that experience. Or, I guess I could have blocked it out. It is, however, unexcusable, and when it has happened to me at restaurants, stores, etc., I've been known to politely say, "I'm sorry, have I done something to offend you?" and if the behavior continues, I suggest they find a new profession and ask for a manager/supervisor.