PDA

View Full Version : What kind of pleasure traveler are you?

REDJIM
01-06-2006, 04:11 AM
As a committed travel forum browser, I'm trying to figure out where I fit in as a consumer. I've never needed an ombudsman to go to bat for me after a dreadful trip. Never been offended by conditions of lodging I've selected. Never had regrets for any destinations I've chosen as "our vacation spot this year." But I'm attracted to the insulting, harmful, dangerous or simply mindless conduct other travelers experience from travel services, and local residents, as they wander the world; causing them to ask for redress for "ruined" vacations .

Do you roll with the tide?

Do you expect greatness from every excursion?

john225
01-06-2006, 04:40 AM
I am definetly low maintanence since I am willing to take resposibility for myself and my needs.

On a flight after the beverage service, if I want something more, instead of ringing the call button, I will get up and walk to the galley and ask politely for whatever I might need or want. Always say thank you and add a smile. If I arrive at my destination or transfer point and discover that I am at a gate that is close to where I need to go, I will often let them know that I don't need the wheelchair and will walk. Always thank and tip the skycap that is waiting for me. I always have my own entertainment, i.e. a book or magazine, or recently, a portable DVD player.

In a hotel, I will have made sure that I brought all personal items I might need, avoiding a call to the front desk and someone bringing me anything. If there is something I need, and it is after hours, I will do without until the next day.

Restaurants are another story. I am very particular about my food, and if something isn't right I will send it back. Having worked in the food industry in the past, I know what goes on "out of sight", so I always make sure that I am polite about it, but firm.

I personally think it ALL come down to personal responsibility. Use your manners, arrive early, help out if and where you can. All these things will make any experience much more pleasant for not only you, but those around you.

tdew
01-06-2006, 07:07 AM
"Roll with the tide" would probably fit. Something has to be seriously wrong for me to follow up with a complaint. Usually I just chalk it up to experience and the problem fades in memory anyway.

Vacation locations that turn out to be less than ideal are not a loss, since they add to the overall life experience. There should be some adventure in the trip, but
I do avoid hotels that were not great if I'm in the same area again.

nobody122
01-06-2006, 07:53 AM
I'd definately say I am a mix of the two--depending on the class I am flying. When I am in First class (usually only on trans-pacific flights) I am SO high maintanence--my company is paying excellent money for my comfort so I can conduct business the day I arrive, I deserve everything I am entitled to and if i don't get it--watch out. The same, but a little less when I travel Business (most of my flights).

But I am extremely low maintanence when flying economy--I know I am paying a tiny amount of money to cover a long distance and know that I shouldn't expect much.

jfrenaye
01-06-2006, 08:47 AM
It is too bad we cannot get some of the service providers here and match the two up.......

What kind of traveler do you think you are?
What kind of traveler do you think this guy is?

I imagine we all feel like we are low maintenanc, but many are regarded as a pain in the a$$ by the service providers.

But then, is that just a horrible work ethic?

mercwyn
01-06-2006, 10:55 AM
I guess I fall somewhere in between. I'm really easy going when things are going well and even when things go wrong, up to a point. For example, if I go somewhere and it rains the whole time, well, that's life and I live with it. However if I arrive at a hotel where I have confirmed reservation and I'm told that either they don't have a reservation for me or that it's for the wrong room type and the clerk blames my travel agent and that the hotel isn't going to do anything to fix the problem then I tend not to be so forgiving. I get cranky when someone is unwilling to help fix a problem and I have been known to go up the ladder in a hurry to get things resolved.

Generally I try to use common sense and to remember that things will look much better after the fact.

Ned
01-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by mercwyn@Jan 6 2006, 12:55 PM
I guess I fall somewhere in between.* I'm really easy going when things are going well and even when things go wrong, up to a point.* For example, if I go somewhere and it rains the whole time, well, that's life and I live with it.* However if I arrive at a hotel where I have confirmed reservation and I'm told that either they don't have a reservation for me or that it's for the wrong room type and the clerk blames my travel agent and that the hotel isn't going to do anything to fix the problem then I tend not to be so forgiving.** I get cranky when someone is unwilling to help fix a problem and I have been known to go up the ladder in a hurry to get things resolved.

Generally I try to use common sense and to remember that things will look much better after the fact.

I'm with Mercwyn. If I've goofed, or if things are beyond anyones control, so be it. If the cruise line or airline or hotel goofs (important goofs) then I expect them to make it right.

For example, if the hotel has only smoking rooms left, and I've specified a non-smoking room and guarranteed payment with my reservation, I expect them to make good, even if that means making up the difference in another nearby hotel. If the cruise ship gives me the wrong seating even after I have confirmation of the right seating then I expect them to fit me in to the right seating. If the airline has mechanical problems and I miss my connection, which had more than enough extra time built in for a reasonable delay, then I expect them to do what is necessary to get me to my destination, as quickly as possible, and put me up for the night if that's necessary, at no extra charge to me.

I do realize problems and glitches occur, however, I do expect to get what I've paid for and what I've contracted for. I'll insist on things with a smile, but I will insist. I won't ask for the impossible because I know I'm not going to get it, but I will insist on being treated fairly. I think everyone deserves that.

joyceandrews
01-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Having worked in the Travel Industry all of my life and having kids who are in the restuarant industry, I am faily low maintance because I know what the guy on the other end feels like.
I was taught you get more with sugar than vinegar and that is my creed. I am always a "sweet southern lady" unless that is not helping to solve the situation. I can get testy if necessary.

agentplus
01-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Let me tell a TRUE story about 2 different types of travelers.

The bath tub above your unit is draining and it must not have been connected to the plumbing because it drains thru the ceiling into your bathroom. (This did happen)

Person 1: Screems and hollers at the front desk......"What are you going to do about it......NOW".

Person 2: Goes to front desk and askes for a room on top floor.

I am serious, this did happen. B)

BPoland
01-07-2006, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by agentplus@Jan 6 2006, 08:06 PM
Let me tell a TRUE story about 2 different types of travelers.

The bath tub above your unit is draining and it must not have been connected to the plumbing because it drains thru the ceiling into your bathroom.* (This did happen)

Person 1:* Screems and hollers at the front desk......"What are you going to do about it......NOW".

Person 2:* Goes to front desk and askes for a room on top floor.

I am serious, this did happen. B)

Actually, this DID happen to me on a recent 1 night visit to MIA. I called the front desk and informed them of the problem and simply (politely, but firmly) asked to be moved to another room. The problem was solved and there was no need for ranting or raving :D
So, I guess I, too fall into that middle category with mercwyn!

sardine
01-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by REDJIM@Jan 6 2006, 06:11 AM

Do you roll with the tide?

Do you expect greatness from every excursion?

I roll with the tide in most situations, exceptions being a fully reclined seat back in my face for hours, which makes me claustrophobic, and cleanliness of my accommodations.

Not having grandiose expectations, I have always been rewarded with something special or out of the ordinary on every trip, e.g., the birth of a Hawaiian Monk Seal on Poipu Beach, Kauai, the beach that fronted our condo; an unexpected opportunity to feed and massage a dolphin; accessible lava flows in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park which began the day before we arrived, after a six-month period of inaccessibility; a last minute decision to visit Kalaupapa, Molokai (a mother-daughter day) which was only possible (all of the excursions had been sold out) because Nick, who owns and operates Paragon Air, called two of his scheduled passengers and asked if they would mind being re-booked for a day later in the week as we could only go on that particular day, etc.

On one of my trips to Alaska it rained every day, and on another it snowed every day, but I had a wonderful time in spite of the weather because with each change in the weather, you see a different aspect of the beauty that Alaska has to offer. I have also visited Alaska when the sun was shining.

Stress causes major illnesses, so relax and enjoy! :)

Arkstfan
01-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Personal travel I tend to be a bargain hunter and so far have had great luck but I know I'm going to draw a travel horror story eventually (though the Travel Lodge in Council Bluffs, IA ought to fit anyone's description of horror).

I just roll with the punches. In Lafayette, LA our room smelled "funky" but with the humidity issues and families living there for several months, it just wasn't a big deal. Unlike evacuees we weren't spending all of our time there, we just needed a clean bed and clean shower. The bathroom tile was incredibly sticky, merely walked to the front desk and explained the problem. The clerk said it would take a few minutes because she was the only one working, told her not a problem we had some errands to run.

I tend to stay on pleasure trips either on Priceline purchases or by using reward nights from my business travel. I am more careful to make sure I tip well and I'm more likely to spend money on site with either room service, on-site restaurant or bar, in hotel shops etc.

I figure that hotels are more likely to participate in those programs if they see they are still generating revenue,

clarkef
01-23-2006, 02:12 AM
I'm in the middle.

I believe that basic respect means that people should always be treated courteously. I tend to be fairly low maintenance. However, if I feel that I am being cheated, or purposely treated unfairly, then the business litigator comes out.

I ask for three things for a hotel

1. Honor my rate. I'm intractable about this. Last week the front desk of a Marriott refused to honor my rate with my second night free coupon saying my rate wan't eligible even though Marriott rewards made the booking. I explained politely but firmly that I wasn't going to pay an extra $50 because of a disconnect between the hotel and the loyalty program. I also told them that I didn't think it was right to try to increase a rate at 4:30pm during check-in. I escalated the matter to the manager who then realized that the rate was actually eligible for the free night and apologized profusely for the trouble.

2. Honor my room type. I'm a large man with nasal issues. I'm not sleeping in a double bed, and I am absolutely not sleeping in a smoking room. Just not going to happen.

3. Give me my upgrade. I'm cool if one isn't available. That happens. But if one is available, please don't play games because I happen to have a cheap AAA rate. I've earned my elite benefits. Don't tell me that I've been upgraded because I have a pool view. I've had more than one front desk agent boldly lie to my face about the existence or availability of an upgrade.

Beyond that, I generally don't bother the front desk unless its major. And I believe in being polite but firm. I've only asked twice for compensation. The most notable when I discovered that my heavenly bed had dried blood stains from the previous guest. Gross.

Also, because I pay for my business travel, I don't make as much of a distinction as I used to between business and personal. The big difference is that for personal travel, I may stay in a three star hotel, whereas for business it must be at least four stars.