PDA

View Full Version : Denied boarding comp rules?

Ryan
06-10-2005, 12:53 AM
Hey everyone,

I have gotten into a cycle of traveling for nearly free. I have learned to pick flights when I book them that have high chances of being oversold. I walk upto the gate early and get on a list and it has not failed me yet. Here is what is confusing to me though. The compensation differs form time to time, and seems to be whatever the agent feels like giving out at the time. Can someone tell me whether there is a system, and when to speak up if I am getting less than I am entitled to. The airline is American. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

jfrenaye
06-10-2005, 05:48 AM
There is no rule for VOLUNTARY bumping. They simply realize that they OUGHT to compensate you and yes it is up to the discretion of the gate agent. They are instructed to see if anyone is willing to do it for free, then typically for an upgrade on the next available flight, then on the next available flight with a free ticket, then on the next available flight in first class AND a free ticket, etc....

INVOLUNTARY bumping is a whole other ball of wax.

DCTravelAgent
06-10-2005, 09:43 AM
I have known a number of people who practice this voluntary bumping strategy. It works just fine if you have no time constraints. If you don't mind sitting in the airport for hours - no problem.

They escalate the compensation as the flight time gets nearer and their need escalates.

I had one client compensated with $1000 in future travel for agreeing to not take a New Year's Eve flight to Las Vegas - of course that was pre-9/11.

Gigs
06-14-2005, 09:43 AM
I won some tickets to a golf tourney with air/hotel in Jacksonville a couple months ago. Friday evening departing from Boston with a layover in I think Newark, on Continental. They offered us $300 and an upgrade to First class on the next flight which left four hours later. Only 1 person went to the counter. They were looking for 5 more people. When they offered the same deal, except this time with a $500 travel voucher, we jumped on it. It gave us time to eat some dinner and have some cocktails before the flight. Now, I have a voucher that I have to use within a year.

tdew
06-14-2005, 02:51 PM
My best deal ever was in 1998. American Airlines ran a REALLY cheap fare NY to London for $200 round trip. I was able to buy the tickets for our group of 5 people to travel in the Spring. When it was time to return, the flight was oversold. The agents asked for people to give up their seats and take a flight that would leave 2 hours later - in return for $1000 voucher each. We ended up flying to Copenhagen that summer and touring Scandanavia! I don't expect to ever again have such a deal!