PDA

View Full Version : One Person, Two Seats

trojan
12-27-2005, 11:45 PM
If you were stand-by and about to get shutout of a seat, would you prefer to get a seat next to a fat person who was required to buy two seats, or would you prefer to wait for a later flight?

How much later would the next flight need to be for you to opt to sit middle next to such a person?

I realize that the airlines typically (if never) do not allow for such a thing, but I'm curious to know if there are circumstances where you would plead to take one of the two seats the fat person was forced to purchase.

Has this scenario ever played out in your travels?

Me? I can't get comfortable in coach on any flight anyway, so I'd try to get on immediately.

AaronK
12-28-2005, 06:17 AM
Well, if its a full flight, odds are the guy that needs two seats will be told by the airline he is paying for that second seat, so your scenario will probably not come to being.

As a big person myself (but not requiring two seats), I'd probably wait.

Ned
12-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by trojan@Dec 28 2005, 01:45 AM
If you were stand-by and about to get shutout of a seat, would you prefer to get a seat next to a fat person who was required to buy two seats, or would you prefer to wait for a later flight?

How much later would the next flight need to be for you to opt to sit middle next to such a person?

I realize that the airlines typically (if never) do not allow for such a thing, but I'm curious to know if there are circumstances where you would plead to take one of the two seats the fat person was forced to purchase.

Has this scenario ever played out in your travels?*

Me?* I can't get comfortable in coach on any flight anyway, so I'd try to get on immediately.

You'll never get that choice because the airline is never going to give you the choice. They'll just say "here" and give you the boarding pass. When you get aboard, the seat will be where the seat will be. Once you're on the plane, if you don't want the seat I guess you could refuse to take it, but that's another can of worms.

If they take away the extra seat from the big person they're going to have to compensate him/her because they've paid for the seat and "bumped" it. Since the person is still on the flight, it would be interesting what the compensation would be. It would certainly have to be worth at least the value of the cost of the seat. As you keep thinking about it the scenario gets more and more interesting with regard to its implications.

By the way, to all you travel agents, do the airlines actually force some large people to purchase two seats in order to allow them to fly, or is it at their option?

ajaynejr
01-02-2006, 01:09 PM
As far as I know, all airlines have in their Conditions of Carriage the right to require that persons occupying more than one seat purchase more than one seat. Only Southwest has made the news numerous times regarding this issue.

If someone does purchase two seats, whether or not required to, the airline does not have the right to confine him to one seat against his comfort without paying compensation likely exceeding the cost of one of the seats and the airline does not hve the right to bump him altogether without paying compensation likely exceeding the cost of both seats plus a later trip, if said airline had not followed the rest of its bumping rules which usually includes asking for volunteers.

The person who purchased two seats could charge you with assault if you pushed him aside to take one of the seats prior to getting the airline staff to intervene, and he could charge the airline with assault if the airline did not intevene.

In many cases the person who purchased two seats will confine himself to one seat on that flight in exchange for a refund of both seats and that is a reasonable resolution.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm