PDA

View Full Version : Stress Relief

john225
12-16-2005, 08:34 AM
ARRRGH!!! Ok, we are a mere 9 days from Christmas/Kwanza/Hanukkah, and I know the stress has to be building. From the mobs of people at the malls, to the visiting relatives, planning the dinners, and the clients who wait until a month prior to wanting to travel to somewhere. What is your favorite thing to keep you from climbing a clock tower with a rifle wearing a clown costume and picking people off? I have as yet found one, and am in the process of systematically pulling my hair out and making the tobacco companies richer!

travel
12-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Laughing at the stupidity of others always makes me feel better. :lol:

stephen_s
12-16-2005, 09:24 AM
As far as shopping? I do all my shopping online. I avoid the hassles :). As far as how people behave everyday--forget it. I'm like Anakin Skywalker, a.ka. Darth Vader :D

weblet
12-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Shopping online....

summergirl825
12-16-2005, 11:48 AM
drink!!!

pezmanffx
12-17-2005, 02:35 PM
I drink, therefore I am.

UrbanSpaceman
12-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Rats--John225 found my happy place (a water tower with a powerful rifle and a good scope; but I am not the one in a clown outfit).

For stress relief, just remember why we are having this season. If you are Christian, this is the time we remember our Savior's birth and that He came to save all of us (anyone willing to accept Him). If you are Jewish, then remember the reasons for Chanukkah being celebrated.

If you are not partcularly religious, just remember the cartoon version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." Or watch the original version of "Cristmas in Conneticut" (the 1946 version with Barbara Stanwyk (sp?)).

john225
12-20-2005, 06:59 AM
I actually have found a happy place with some strategic decisions. Being home based, I can basically work when I want, so I have turned off the ringer and turned on the answering machine on my business line until Dec. 29. I may lose some business, but thats a risk I'm willing to take.

I have told family and friends that argue with me over where I will be spending Christmas day that I am tired of their bickering, and to leave me the hell alone. They all know that I am not one for the holidays, why do they keep pushing! Don't expect any gifts from me, and don't bother to buy anything for me. I refuse to fall into the trap of having to buy someone something making the retail CEO's more money just to celebrate what is supposed to be a beautiful time of year. Do like I do, and if you want to express your affection and appreciation for me, spread your gift giving out throughout the year.

Christmas Eve I am going to midnight services at the chruch I grew up in in MSY (yes, it survived with minor structural damage) and then Christmas Day I am going to the airport and boarding a WN flight to El Paso (nobody around here knows, and if you tell, I'll hunt you down!). Never been there, and got a great Ding! fare. Hotel near the airport, and dinner at the first greasy spoon I find that is open.

Come home on the 28th, take down the insipid tree, go shopping at the local liquor store for some New Year libations. Check the answering machine and return the important calls. On the 31st, toss back a couple, and hit the sack by 10:30. Sleep late on the 1st, and then wake up on the 2nd full of pi*s and vinegar, ready to take on the world of medical science with a month of test and surgeries (those of you who "know" me will understand that reference).

As I said, with some strategic decisions and secret keeping, it looks like the world is safe from the killer clown for another year! Oh, BTW, I will have my laptop with me in case any interesting items come up here, so that I can impart my wisdom on them! ROFL

mtp51
12-20-2005, 08:28 AM
wow - sounds a little gloomy....

silver cloud
12-20-2005, 08:30 AM
Start early. That's my recommendation. Otherwise we'll find you on the grassy knoll or book depository.

B) Mary

john225
12-20-2005, 08:32 AM
mtp51, not gloomy at all! Its what I want. I hate the commercialization of this time of the year and refuse to be caught up in it. Rather have my solitude and sanity!

trvlgirl
12-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Just a question but why El Paso. Are you going to see friends?

john225
12-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Nope, never been there, don't know anybody there. Just seemed like a good place to go. Cheap fare, and can walk across the border if I want to.

trvlgirl
12-20-2005, 09:39 AM
I lived there for a year and half when I was in high school and hated it. I still have some friends there but I don't care if I ever go back.

Drive by shotings, fights and lots of theft.

However you are right it is right by the board. I hope you have fun.

summergirl825
12-20-2005, 10:49 AM
I hope you have a great time John...you deserve it! I too can't wait for the holidays to be over.

jfrenaye
12-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Hey John---have a great one and drink one for me!

Jeanie821
12-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Well, I used to eat to relieve stress, but my doctor says I can't do that anymore. :lol:

What do I do, then? Some ideas:

* Bible reading and prayer (I know I sound like the holy roller that I am, but it works for me)

* Relaxing music

* A good, funny movie (recommendations for this time of year: Christmas with the Kranks, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story. For anytime during the year: Galaxy Quest, Big Trouble, Blues Brothers, anything by Mel Brooks)

* Reminding myself of when my next vacation is

When all else fails? A meditation CD that my therapist put together. Keeps me from going postal.

sardine
12-23-2005, 05:18 PM
I am not stressed at all this holiday season.

Merry Christmas!

Ned
12-24-2005, 06:56 PM
No stress here. We try to keep things small for the holidays.

Over the last year, I've met some really neat and classy people on these forums who have shared some really good stuff with me. Thanks very much.

I wish for all "Tripsonians" a happy and very healthy new year.

Rachel
09-25-2006, 08:09 AM
Hello All, I am Rachel!

stephen_s
09-25-2006, 08:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rachel @ Sep 25 2006, 06:09 AM) 37716</div>
Hello All, I am Rachel!
[/b]

Welcome Rachel. We hope you enjoy your stay.