PDA

View Full Version : Northwest

jfrenaye
12-12-2005, 03:48 PM
OK< so Grannie dies and among everything else you need to worry about becoming a WorldPerks Member????

New Domestic Medical/Bereavement Fare Policy

Effective December 13, 2005, Northwest Airlines will require a WorldPerks number in a reservation for the customer to be eligible for discounted one way and roundtrip emergency fares for travel within the 50 U.S. and Canada when travel is due to the hospitalization or death of an immediate family member. Immediate family members are defined as spouse, domestic partners, children (including adopted children), parent, brother, sister, grandparent, grandchild (any step/adopted/half/in-law versions), great-grandparent, niece, nephew, aunt, uncle.

Membership in any other frequent flyer program will not qualify customers for a domestic medical/ bereavement fare.

The customer or travel agent may contact Northwest to make a reservation and receive a discounted fare quote. If a customer is not a WorldPerks member, enrollment can be completed prior to contacting Northwest Reservations. Click here to enroll in the WorldPerks program or a Northwest Reservation Agent can enroll the customer when making their emergency reservation.

Travel agents must enter the customers WorldPerks number in the SSR field prior to requesting a fare quote. A WorldPerks number must be entered for each customer in the reservation. The Northwest WorldPerks number should be the only frequent flyer number in the reservation. Customers are only eligible to receive frequent flyer mileage through the WorldPerks program.

The International Bereavement Program is not affected by this change in policy. Use current procedures when requesting a bereavement fare for international travel.

For travel agent procedures or for additional information, contact Northwest/KLM Reservations at 1-800-225-2525, TTY at 1-800-328-2298, or visit the Fares & Promotions tab on WorldAgent Direct, or Agency DRS.

stephen_s
12-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Simply AMAZING. I wonder how many airlines will follow suit. They seem to be doing that a lot.

Jason's Storm
12-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Oh well their about to go out of business anyways (if the pilots go on strike, because a judge breaks their agreement), might as well screw the pooch a couple more times.

~JS

DenaLou
12-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Now that is just STUPID!!!! What are those people thinking? Hey, they may just make more money by selling the names and addresses of these people than by flying them. Just amazing......................... B)

angelmizanchan
12-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Totally, utterly ridiculous. It makes for one more hoop for a family to jump through when someone's ill or dies. WTF is wrong with these people? Can't they show a little compassion? I mean, they're running under fracking BANKRUPTCY PROTECTION, they're asking for leniency, so why can't they show it to those who are going through a rough time?

I remember when my mom's dad was sick back in '01. Dad had to go through the reservations process twice; once for my mother so she could be back there with him, and again so my sis could attend his funeral. (I had to stay behind to help Dad run things here, so I didn't go.) I think I'm counting my blessings that the worst trouble he had was one smart-as-a-brick AA agent who insisted he said "Cedar Rapids to San Antonio" instead of San Diego. Needless to say, Dad terminated that call and tried again, that time getting someone who didn't think he said San Antonio.

hwyman
12-12-2005, 08:20 PM
What is really sad is this kind of stuff does not surprise me in the least. I remember about 2 years ago, my father was going to fly to Florida from the Washington-Baltimore area to tend to his ill brother. He caught a military flight to Florida, but when we went to come back he called several airlines. When he talked to Delta, they wanted over $400 for a one way flight from Tampa to BWI. He got a flight on Southwest for less than half that, plus he wasn't punnished by going through Hartsfield! I don't think anyone was happier than my father when Delta filed for banruptcy. I think the only thing that could make him happier would be for Delta to fold.

By the way, to the folks at Northwest, this is a very bad idea. You wonder why airlines like Southwest make money and you don't? Take a look at how they run their airline and look at how you run yours. Notice any differences?

drwong
12-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Bereavement fares are a courtesy, not a right. If an airline wants to extend the courtesy to members of its loyalty program, that's their business decision. Northwest is taking this an additional step by requiring walk-ups to register with WorldPerks, but at least they're not threatening to charge a higher fare to non-WorldPerks members (not that the walk-ups would ever know, given the wide price ranges airlines have demonstrated in charging bereavement fares!).

jfrenaye
12-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Bereavement fares are a joke anyway you look at it. They discount a Full Y fare by a certain percentage, but typically they have other discounted fares that are considerably less than any bereavement fare.

I am not sure why they are doing this--it is just stirring the pot and makes them look like they are as inept at writing press releases and defining new policies as they are at running an airline!

Sancha
12-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Bereavement fares have historically been rife with abuse, throughout the industry, this will probably help track offenders down.

Is this really such a big deal? After all, it costs nothing to join WorldPerks, and you don't have to give any additional information than you do just to buy a ticket.

UrbanSpaceman
12-13-2005, 12:24 PM
I think the big deal is when I am trying to get to a loved one who is ill, or trying to remain lucid while going to attend a loved one's funeral, that I have this extra, needless, step to take.

Imagine the scene:

Customer (sobbing almost uncontrollably): I need to get to Seattle for my mom's funeral. How much will it cost me?

NW agent: Okay, what is your WorldPerks number?

Cust: My what???? I am sorry, I thought I called a caring company. I will call someone like Southwest who, by the way, just paid for the funeral of the kid that was killed in an accident. I bet he did not need a frequent flyer number...

Sancha
12-13-2005, 12:52 PM
Call me cynical, but I don't think Southwest paid for the boy's funeral out of pure altruism -- I'd be more inclined to chalk it up to damage control/PR and trying to avoid a lawsuit. But I digress.

I agree with you, John, that one can often find cheaper fares, even at the last minute, than a discounted Y bereavement, in which case this whole thread essentially becomes a moot point. :rolleyes: But, when it really comes down to it, I honestly don't see how a reservation agent taking a few moments to generate a WorldPerks number would really make a material difference. Just my humble opinion of course...

travel
12-14-2005, 09:05 AM
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!?!?!? My brother died on Sunday 11/27. I had just returned from a business trip the night before that included an overnight flight and a 5-hour layover in SLC. I was jetlagged and angry that no one called to tell me it was imminent, and if I had had one more problem (like "you have to hang up, sign up to be a WorldPerks member first, then call us back"), I would have LOST it!!! How insensitive and ridiculous and selfish can they possibly be....? This isn't about profits anymore. Shame on them!!! I will never fly NW again.

travel
12-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by jfrenaye@Dec 13 2005, 12:58 PM
Bereavement fares are a joke anyway you look at it.* They discount a Full Y fare by a certain percentage, but typically they have other discounted fares that are considerably less than any bereavement fare.

I am not sure why they are doing this--it is just stirring the pot and makes them look like they are as inept at writing press releases and defining new policies as they are at running an airline!

That may be the "typical" situation, but I can honestly say that when I booked a flight to DFW on American for my brother's funeral, lowest published fares were $642 from my airport and $765 from my mother's airport. I flew for $269, and she flew for $298, and the tickets were fully changeable, so when another family member couldn't take my mother to the airport in Abilene, we easily changed her ticket, with no fees, and she flew out of Dallas with me. I would have paid anything to be there, but they didn't make me, and for that I will always be grateful.

Jeanie821
12-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Just one more reason to avoid Northwest. They're about two inches from being out of business anyway.