12-01-2005, 06:58 AM
Doesn't this sound like loads of fun!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10277238/

summergirl825
12-01-2005, 07:58 AM
eewwww!!!

jfrenaye
12-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Not sure of the cruise line, but I believe it was RCCL had this issue about a year ago. I agree. Yuck!

missalf
12-01-2005, 09:54 AM
about four years ago we had this happen to a member of our party -- at the Samsara resort (and I use the term resort jokingly) in Negril, Jamaica, and she woke up with bites all over every bit of her exposed skin.

Since she's a doctor, she knew exactly what had happened. Needless to say, we left there immediately. That was only one of a host of issues we had with that place; everything from the pictures on the website no way matching actual conditions at the resort, and being flat-out lied to by people at the resort relative to conditions/facilities there.

The agent we booked the trip through went out of business shortly afterwards...after recommending this dump I wonder why!

Ned
12-01-2005, 11:29 PM
I saw another report on MSNBC by NBC News correspondent Dawn Fratangelo. Apparently, NY has a terrible bedbug problem.

New York has more than a 100 reported cases of bedbugs this year, perhaps many more unreported ones. While bedbugs are not known to carry or spread disease, apparently getting rid of them is tough. Every piece of bedding, furniture and clothing must be cleaned or treated or you're just not going to get rid of them.

In New York this year they've been reported to have found new life in New York City's apartment complexes. The report also said that people who travel extensively or simply visit an infested house can bring them home. They can hide in clothes, mattresses, even walls during the day and at night they feed on people when they're asleep. In New York she reported that business is booming for exterminators.

Ned
12-01-2005, 11:45 PM
Don't know how I missed it, but there's a big article in the NY Times about bedbugs too.

Andrew Jacobs writes in the NY Times that, bedbugs are "stealthy and fast-moving nocturnal creatures that were all but eradicated by DDT after World War II, have recently been found in hospital maternity wards, private schools and even a plastic surgeon's waiting room."

Mr. Jacobs stated that, "Bedbugs are back and spreading through New York City like a swarm of locusts on a lush field of wheat...

Pest Away Exterminating, an Upper West Side business that receives about 125 bedbug calls a week, compared with just a handful five years ago...

Last year the city logged 377 bedbug violations, up from just 2 in 2002 and 16 in 2003. Since July, there have been 449...

He further wrote, "Anyone who stays in a hotel, rich or poor, can bring them home in a suitcase," said Richard Kourbage, whose company, Kingsway Exterminating in Brooklyn, does about a dozen bedbug jobs a day. "Some of the best hotels in New York have them."

For the whole article go to Just Try to Sleep Tight. The Bedbugs are Back (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/27/nyregion/27bugs.html?incamp=article_popular_1). The situation is becoming unreal.

REDJIM
12-02-2005, 03:11 AM
If the bedbugs are back in full force, can the Black Plague be far behind?

I'm being serious here!

Ned
12-02-2005, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by REDJIM@Dec 2 2005, 05:11 AM
If the bedbugs are back in full force, can the Black Plague be far behind?

I'm being serious here!

Bedbugs are like roaches, almost impossible to obliterate, and much harder to eliminate than the Plague.

stewart502002
12-05-2005, 08:59 AM
bleargh! so how do you get rid of them? travel with a matress protector? mothballs? move the bed away from the wall? squirt insecticide over the mattress? grease the bedlegs? eek! :blink:
are there any old wives tales out there that could be ressurected?

Ned
12-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by stewart502002@Dec 5 2005, 10:59 AM
bleargh! so how do you get rid of them?* travel with a matress protector? mothballs? move the bed away from the wall? squirt insecticide over the mattress? grease the bedlegs? eek!** :blink:
are there any old wives tales out there that could be ressurected?

According to Environmental Chemical Co., Inc., a wholesaler of pest control supplies, bedbug problems should not be taken lightly. Immediate action should be taken to treat the affected individuals and to remove them from the infested environment.

"First, you will need a good, bright flashlight in order to check and inspect areas where bedbugs are likely to hide."

This is good, as at least you can see if there are bedbugs in your bed at the hotel at night, before you pop into bed. I always bring a small flashlight with me on trips in case of power failures.

Also according to ECC, "If you suspect that you've brought bedbugs home in your luggage from a recent trip, you may want to inspect and treat the luggage.

Although one's first reaction is to disposed of the offending mattress or bedding, this is not necessary and may not eliminate the problem. Treatment of the immediate area should include spraying or dusting of the mattress and box spring. (It may be necessary to cut open the net enclosure on the bottom of the box spring in order to properly inspect and treat this area.) Most attention should be given to the edges under piping or seams or under mattress tufts or buttons. You must separate the mattress and box spring and treat areas in between as necessary. Pillow-top mattresses require special attention. Be sure to treat the bunched, stapled areas on the bottomed of the box spring netting since there may be gaps where the bedbugs may hide.

In dealing with an infested sofa, love seat or (upholstered) chair, disposal may be necessary since it is difficult to reach into the deepest crevices of the furniture where the wood frame may provide harborage for bedbugs. An assessment has to be made if the problem persists after careful treatment.

Bed linens should be laundered in hot water then placed in a dryer as well to help insure removal of insects or their eggs. Launder draperies hanging near the bed, if necessary. Laundered items should be stored away from the bedbug infested area or sealed in securely tied heavy duty plastic bags to keeps insects out.

A residual insecticide or a non-residual pyrethrins product should be applied to the bed frame connecting points at both the headboard and footboard and wall moldings as well as any other objects or hollows that offer "shelter" for bedbugs.

A proper treatment is done by simply wetting the surface so that it does not move from the intended area.

Treat night tables and dressers by emptying them and then removing the drawers. Treat in the corners of each drawer both inside and then on the bottom corners of each drawer. It may be prudent to tip furniture on its side to check along the bottom and around casters since bedbugs may hide here as well. Also check behind any objects hanging on the wall such as behind picture frames or clocks. You may have to open up wall outlet covers and switch covers and inspect to be sure that bedbugs have not taken up residence in those areas.

Open and inspect telephones and clock radios. You can set up a box with some double stick tape in the bottom, then tap the object over the box to capture any insects that may be hiding inside. The tape will hold the the bugs in place.

In severe cases where the population of bedbugs is high, treatment of adjacent rooms may be necessary.

In apartment buildings, it may be helpful to seal any cracks or crevices around floorboards and moldings to prevent insects from migrating to or coming in from other apartments.

If there is a wooden floor and there are gaps between the boards, be sure to treat there as well. When treating, try to think three dimensionally, looking up and down and observing the treatment area from the floor and from above, looking down.

Sprays or dusts should be directed into cracks and crevices - surface spraying of carpets and upholstery or dusting of these areas is usually unnecessary.

One final point: though these treatments should be effective, it may take some time for them to work. Therefore, it may be prudent to arrange to sleep in another area for several days and perhaps as long as one to two weeks. Unfortunately, the only way to know if the problem has been resolved is to try sleeping in the treated area once again."

stewart502002
12-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Wow!
thanks for that, Ned. Good research!

anyone else got anything ?

joyceandrews
12-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Missaf,
I can't believe a Travel Agent actually booked you the Samsara. I got complaints on that hotel when I was at the Eastern Airline Tour desk almost 20 years ago.

I also once booked someone at the Pennsylvania in NY and they called to inform me it was a dump. I have never booked it again thank goodness.

John.
It was Royal Caribbean that someone had bedbugs.

Ned
12-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by joyceandrews@Dec 9 2005, 12:07 PM
Missaf,...

John.
It was Royal Caribbean that someone had bedbugs.

There was an instance of bedbugs reported on a Royal Caribbean ship, and if fact, Tripso reported on it at the time. See the top paragraph in the Daily Bed bugs attack couple on Royal Caribbean cruise (http://www.tripso.com/archives/2005/04/bed_bugs_attack.html). It was in April of this year aboard the Royal Caribbean’s Jewel of the Seas. The story is interesting to me in how isolated it was. It was only one cabin on the entire ship. No one else reported anything. It would be interesting to know how the bugs got there. I'd bet they were brought aboard by the guest in the stateroom on the previous voyage of the ship.

Bedbugs were also reported aboard Carnival's Victory last April. Carnival attributed the bugs to a guest on the previous cruise aboard Victory.

Both these cases bring to mind the question, what do these cruise lines do with regard to prevention through extermination services between cruises when they completely (or so we're led to believe) clean the ship. This would be interesting to know.

weblet
12-12-2005, 12:24 PM
The Hotel Pennsylvania is a pit. I haven't booked it for years - if a client wants it I tell them they are on their own... It's cheap and you get what you pay for. I suppose you could say the hotel offers pets as company, but can't afford the goldfish! :o