PDA

View Full Version : Delta holds flight for dog

mmyoyo
11-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Sunday night, raining in Atlanta, many flights arriving late. I'm booked on a flight ATL to PBI 8:00 PM. I arrive at the gate ay 7:58 and see the flight posted for 8:11 departure. The ramp door is closed and no agents around. Withing 5 minutes there are 30 passengers wanting to know what is going on. The gate agent appears from the ramp and states the door is closed and she can not reopen. The crowd is loud and demanding to board, it is posted for 8:11PM. She calls and says no way, I was first in line and asked as a PLatnium if I was backed up on the last flight out, she checked and NO and that flight is oversold. Everyone is looking at spending the night. I demand to see a supervisor, it is now 8:15, the plane is sitting with it's cargo door open. At 8:25 a supervisor appears. At this point there are only 10 passengers remaining in the gate area - crying mothers and children etc. The plane is sitting there, cargo door open. At 8:30 the phone call comes to let us board, the 10 of us get on. My first class seat was given away but I was happy to be on board and in bulkhead. The flght attendant comes up and apologizes and said we are waiting for a dog that was checked in but not loaded on the plane. We left 10 minutes later with the dog and 20 empty seats. Those were the 20 paid passengers that were angry and upset that left. Delta holds a flight for a dog and didn't care about 30 paid passengers in the gate house. Liquidation can't be far away.

grgtravel
11-23-2005, 03:06 PM
dog & cat are much better life than human when they land into the right place of its life.....

Ned
11-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by mmyoyo@Nov 23 2005, 01:05 PM
...Delta holds a flight for a dog and didn't care about 30 paid passengers in the gate house. Liquidation can't be far away.

This is when a company sets rules and causes their employees to enforce them without compassion and without thought. This is when a company, on the edge of non-existence, is their own worst enemy.

When I read the post and considered the actions of the gate attendant, I immediately thought of a quotation from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, "There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity."

nobody122
11-27-2005, 08:39 AM
I really hope that Delta fails (I feel bad for the employees though). I've had Delta close the door on my when I was 2 gates away (because of a late connection--has anything ever been on time at ATL?) and notified that I was on my way and would be a couple minutes late. Nope, the door was closed (and on the last Trans-Atlantic flight of the day). So they treat a dog better than a full-fare, SkyTeam elite member? Just one of the many shortcomings that made me happy I dropped Delta in favor of United.

Ned
11-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by nobody122@Nov 27 2005, 10:39 AM
I really hope that Delta fails (I feel bad for the employees though).* I've had Delta close the door on my when I was 2 gates away (because of a late connection--has anything ever been on time at ATL?) and notified that I was on my way and would be a couple minutes late.* Nope, the door was closed (and on the last Trans-Atlantic flight of the day).* So they treat a dog better than a full-fare, SkyTeam elite member?* Just one of the many shortcomings that made me happy I dropped Delta in favor of United.

We certainly don't have many Tripsonian Delta fans.

I must say that my experience on Delta is mixed. I don't fly them much, however, as they aren't very strong out of PHL.

We were flying from Philadelphia to Atlanta and then switching planes to Barcelona a few years ago. Due to severe weather problems, we were stuck in Philadelphia to the extent that our flight was several hours late in departing. We had planned about a 3 or 4 hour layover in case of problems, but that's not important for this post. We arrived a half hour after the scheduled departure of our Barcelona flight with about 10 others who were making the same trip with us, we later found out. I can't fault Delta for not holding the plane. It was actually already in the air before we landed in Atlanta.

Delta was completely prepared for us by the time we got to the help desk within about 15 minutes after landing. When we went to the help desk upon landing they had new tickets waiting for us. We were to fly to Paris and then to Barcelona, both flights on Air France. We would be in Barcelona 4.5 hours after the Delta flight had been scheduled to land. Within 20 minutes of landing in Atlanta we were in our seats on the Air France flight to Paris and away from the gate. We made it to Barcelona 4 hours after the Delta flight had landed.

The problem was our luggage didn't make it with us. We expected that. How could they get our luggage off the plane from Philadelphia and load it in the plane for Paris in 20 minutes? Unfortunately, Air France and Delta insisted the luggage was in Paris for a full day before they finally checked Atlanta. We had pleaded with them to check Atlanta and had explained it couldn't have made the plane to Paris. When they finally checked Atlanta they put it on the flight to Barcelona and delivered the luggage to our hotel room. That was great, but it was 2.5 days later instead of 1.5 days later. It's a good thing my wife and I have a general rule of thumb that we always go to our embarkation city for a cruise a minimum of 4 days before the cruise. You know the old maxim, "What can go wrong, will go wrong." It did this time. I did purchase some very nice clothing in Barcelona.

jjjenny
11-28-2005, 12:04 PM
I am a huge animal lover, but, hold the plane for a dog and leave passengers stranded who are at the gate area? Come on!

ajaynejr
11-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by mmyoyo@Nov 23 2005, 12:05 PM
I'm booked on a flight ATL to PBI 8:00 PM. I arrive at the gate ay 7:58 (snip). . My first class seat was given away (snip). The flght attendant comes up and apologizes and said we are waiting for a dog that was checked in but not loaded on the plane. ]

Delta held the flight for you too.

They probably would have held the flight for an unaccompanied minor, also.

The alternative to waiting for the dog would have been deplaning its owner, rummaging around for some checked luggage to remove, and paying compensation.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

pezmanffx
11-30-2005, 04:30 PM
If the plane was still at the gate and the jetway was still extended, wouldnt it be more inexpensive for delta just to shove the person on while waiting for the dog?

Ned
11-30-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by pezmanffx@Nov 30 2005, 06:30 PM
If the plane was still at the gate and the jetway was still extended, wouldnt it be more inexpensive for delta just to shove the person on while waiting for the dog?

Are you actually asking the gate agent to use common sense instead of blindly following the rules without question and without reason?!?!?!