PDA

View Full Version : Bow of the ship

pezmanffx
11-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Just wondering how come the bow of the ship is blocked off. I bet the veiw up there is great. And who doesnt want to do the titanic thing.

Kairho
11-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by pezmanffx@Nov 19 2005, 06:52 PM
Just wondering how come the bow of the ship is blocked off. I bet the veiw up there is great. And who doesnt want to do the titanic thing.

Assuming you are referring to cruise ships, most have fairly dangerous machinery up there, lines, and other stuff a cruise line passenger shouldn't get into.

Many smaller boats don't put the bow off limits but are careful about who wanders up there. The view is not much different than anyplace else except for being able watch dolphins riding the bow wave.

Ned
11-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by pezmanffx@Nov 19 2005, 06:52 PM

On Celebrity's Millennium class ships, for example, the helicopter pad is located at the bow, along with other equipment. Sometimes, when we've had full days at sea on their ships we've seen some of the crew relaxing and sunning themselves there, as it's isolated from the passengers. On those ships, on the upper two decks, they have an observation area at the forward end looking out over the bow. You may not be as forward as the bow itself, but the view from these decks, more than 10 stories up each, is fabulous.

wrp96
11-22-2005, 06:08 PM
On Royal Caribbean's Voyager class you have access to the bow most of the time. They will occasionally block it off because it is too windy, but otherwise it is accessable. There is a helicopter pad plus lounge chairs up in the bow area.

BYOFT
11-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by pezmanffx@Nov 19 2005, 05:52 PM
And who doesnt want to do the titanic thing.

That's why it's blocked off!!!

silver cloud
12-02-2005, 08:08 AM
wrp - yep, I checked out the bow too on Explorer of the Seas. I love that you can do the titanic thing!

Ned
12-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by silver cloud@Dec 2 2005, 10:08 AM
wrp - yep, I checked out the bow too on Explorer of the Seas.* I love that you can do the titanic thing!

I haven't been on a ship which permits that yet.

travel
12-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Ned@Dec 2 2005, 05:34 PM
I haven't been on a ship which permits that yet.

Well, Ned, if you do the Galapagos thing on Lindblad, you'll get to do just that! Most expedition-style ships allow you up on the bow. That's where I was when we crossed the equator at 6:30 a.m. one morning and they blew the horn, had a little celebration, and the Captain signed our "crossing the equator certificates."
:D

Gigs
12-12-2005, 02:06 PM
On merchant vessels, the bow is where many of the booms are located for loading supplies. It's also where we kept our paint locker. The area around the anchor davits were off-limits unless they were locked by a secondary device. It is very cool to see dolphins riding the bow wave. We typically used the hatches near the bow for our "steel beach", the only place onboard where sunbathing was kosher. We used to drop a 5-gallon bucket overboard attached to a long line for a refreshing shower of salt water. At my maritime academy, we actually welded together a pool for our steel beach. On research vessels, the house is built near the bow with most machinery located amidships or further aft. On cruise ships, the bow is usually off-limits except for smaller to medium vessels. It's typically not the safest location on a ship as there are hatches and booms with many lines. More attention is paid to the detail within the housing of the ship than the bow.