PDA

View Full Version : Fare Basis Question

Spenser_Bunn
11-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Would some please place thse booking class codes in the correct order.

I have been getting conflicting order regarding the "ranking" of Econo tixs. The crux of the matter is that I was told that only M and H fares are available to upgrade to Biz of 1st.

I would also like to know the "correct order" for these codes too. The latest notes I have has them ranked as such:

========================
1st: F, A P
Biz: C, D, Z
Coach: Y, B (full fares)
Coach: E, M, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K
========================

If I've forgetting please feel free to chime right in.

Thanks,

Annette
11-04-2005, 05:55 PM
First of all, you're assuming that there's consistency between carriers - while there is SOME, they don't all use the same codes for the same thing.

Second, you're also assuming that there's consistency within the same carrier. Many classes have subclasses, each with their own rules.

Basically, it's really hard to answer your question without knowing the details involved.

weblet
11-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Annette is correct. My first thought was US (the P cl). But then maybe DL has a P class? DL will only upgrade off B/M/H fares.... Then there's AA, who will upgrade off any fare, but to which inventory depends on whether it is domestic or international. Too, are you upgrading or looking for a freebie into Biz or 1st? If you are upgrading a paid ticket it's one class, if it's a straight award ticket it's in another.... Yes, we'd have to know the details about what you are trying to accomplish before we could really say....

;)

Kairho
11-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Spenser_Bunn@Nov 4 2005, 07:33 PM
1st: F, A P
Biz: C, D, Z
Coach: Y, B (full fares)
Coach: E, M, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, L, K

There are airlines where B is discounted coach, W is business class, S is full fare coach, Z is special fare coach, and so on. The "bottom" 4 for Delta are K, L, U, and T.

There are few rules or generalities which can be applied. The only codes I believe are consistent across carriers (at least for class or service, not for terms) are F, J, C, D, Y, and maybe A.

Spenser_Bunn
11-07-2005, 08:53 AM
The carrier in question is UAL.

I have been getting a little bit of a run-around with regards to upgrading from a coach paid tix to 1st and Biz (Going Intl (SFO-CDG) so it will be 1st for leg one, biz for 2nd. Biz should be the return.)

It seems that UAL Intl agents are able to CONFIRM a first/Biz tix over the phone but as long as I use miles to upgrade. But the tixs I am able to see via their website are not M or H for the intl. portion and also indicate that they are no eligible for the upgrades. (Class V for domestic leg. M for the Intl portion of trip). I'm not sure if I should purchase the tixs over the phone or via the agents. I have Premier Exec with UAL so I'm hoping that I'd be a little high on the waitlist if I need to be place on a list too.

But I thank everyone for this info. Any more light that you are able to shed on this situation would be appreciated. Just curious.

Cheers,

mishka422
11-07-2005, 09:59 AM
FYI - Delta will only upgrade using mileage from Y B or M, not B, M or H.

weblet
11-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks mishka - can't keep them all straight. :rolleyes:

"I'm not sure if I should purchase the tixs over the phone or via the agents."

Not sure what you mean, but I recommend calling UA directly if you are not booking thru a travel agent who will help you wade thru this...

Eileen Sellers
11-07-2005, 03:02 PM
You should book these direct with United. You can only upgrade from coach to business, not from coach to first class, if you are using miles. You need to pay a H class fare or higher. So the really cheap discount fares are not eligible for upgrading. If the flight you want isn't available, United will waitlist the upgrade for you. I would suggest that you call United and ask them what flights are available for upgrading and what is the cheapest fare you can buy on those same flights. And do the transaction all at once.

Spenser_Bunn
11-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Dear Eileen:

I have followed your advise as it was the most likely thing to do.

I was upgraded to Biz for 3 legs of my four leg Intl trip (SFO-IAD-CDG-ORD-SFO). However, I am on the waitlist for 1st for the first leg of the trip though. I will be a 1K member with UAL by the time I take this trip next month and hope that this ensures that I will have the upgrade too.

I have "peeked" inside the 1st cabin since booking my trip 8 days ago as well. To this day there remains 17 of the 24 1st class seats available (aircraft: 752). All websites I have checked selling seats for this leg of my trip have not lowered or even raised the asking price too. I suspect that as my window for clearing the automatic upgrading process nears, I will have the desired seats.

And you were correct with regards to the class of tixs too. It was suggested that I purchase the H class tix and everything else was confirmed as I wanted it to be. I even got "good" seats using seatguro.com while taking with UAL agent too.

Cheers,

Eileen Sellers
11-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Congratulations! I'm confident that your WL will clear. 1K is indeed a god-like status with UA. Enjoy your trip to Paris - it sounds great.

Since you seem fairly comfortable with web-stuff..check your E-bank with UA frequently to keep track of your electronic upgrades for your regular travel. They deposit them automatically, system wide and regionals. As a 1K (almost) 1K you should have a few in there.