PDA

View Full Version : Medication

bluefin
10-24-2005, 08:38 AM
i am down with flu and the doctor has prescribed tamiflu for me
the thing is before i take it i want to know the possible side efefcts of the drug and also should i stop the course in between if i feel better
anyone with a similar experience please relate
thank you

stephen_s
10-24-2005, 09:40 AM
I remember taking it a long time ago, and I don't remember too many (if any) side effects. Since then, I've just gotten flu shots.

For more information on Tamiflu, see these links:

http://my.webmd.com/content/pages/10/1728_68172.htm
http://www.tamiflu.com/faq_tamiflu.asp

mercwyn
10-24-2005, 12:51 PM
The best source for this sort of information is your doctor or professional pharmacist. Much like the best source for information on travel is your professional travel agent. :)

tiadesai
10-26-2005, 07:43 AM
remember one thing my dear
do not stop the course of 5 days as you dont give the virus that os left in the body to develop again
the 5 day course has to be completed irrespective on which day you feel better
you can find more information on tamiflu at http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s3353-s-TAMIFLU.aspx

summergirl825
10-26-2005, 08:27 AM
I have a question....how many of you get a flu shot? I never have & I know that my Insurance pays for it. I have always heard horror stories that they make you sick....is that true?

tdew
10-26-2005, 08:42 AM
A number (?) of years ago, I think it was at the time of the "swine flu" there were big problems with the vaccine. Many of us still have that in our minds, although from all reports the shots today are beneficial. I have never gotten one either...

susanliber
10-26-2005, 09:08 AM
I get one every year....they are provided where I work. (I work in a residential home for disabled people.) I have never gotten sick from the shot. The flu shot is a dead - killed - virus - you cannot get sick from it. Just build the antibodies to that flu. Of course you don't get innoculated for all the different kinds of flu that are out there. They try to predict which one will be the biggie for the season and grow that vaccine. As far as picking the right flu, they are not always right. Remember too that the vaccine is usually grown in eggs....so if you are allergic to eggs, you should not get it.

I was an intern with the American Lung Association for the swine flu campaign. I think that was the first of the big pushes for flu shots. There is also a pneumonia vaccine and persons at risk should get that. I believe it is good for 10 years.

There are lots of good sources on the web for information on flu shots.

farmacytech3
10-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by bluefin@Oct 24 2005, 06:38 AM
the thing is before i take it i want to know the possible side efefcts of the drug and also should i stop the course in between if i feel better
anyone with a similar experience please relate
thank you

Tamiflu is usually prescribed by the Doctor during the onset of the flu, it should shorten the duration of your particular flu or it may even "nip it in the bud" before it actually becomes full blown

Ned
10-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Hi,

I get a flu shot every year. I believe it is responsible for eliminating what were my two typical "flu" or "flu like" illnesses which I got every year. Other than a very mild cold two and four years ago, I haven't had "flu like" illnesses since I started getting the flu shot annually eight years ago.

I have been able to get a flu shot before the onset of the season each year which has been very helpful. This was true even last year, because I'm on the high priority list due to previous open heart surgery, when supplies were so short and many people couldn't get flu shots until January or February. Because of the short supply many people I know who normally got the shot came down with "flu" prior to getting the flu shot last year.

If my personal experience is typical then I would certainly recommend getting the shot. I've had no side effects from it.

Ned
10-27-2005, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by bluefin@Oct 24 2005, 09:38 AM

I thought this story was appropriate considering your post. Roche has stopped shipping Tamiflu for general use in the US and Canada temporarily. Here's the story from CNN.

BASEL, Switzerland (AP) -- Swiss pharmaceutical company Roche Holding AG said Thursday it had temporarily suspended shipments of the anti-viral drug Tamiflu to wholesalers and other private sector recipients in the United States to ensure that enough treatments will be available for the regular influenza season.

"We have temporarily suspended shipment of Tamiflu there," said Roche spokesman Alexander Klauser. He stressed that the suspension would not affect the U.S. government's order for the drug.

"We have agreed orders with governments and we will fulfill them," Klauser said. "It is important that this is seen separately from the pandemic offers."

He confirmed a report in The New York Times that Roche's management in the United States proceeded with the temporary suspension because of the increased global demand for Tamiflu, the drug that experts believe would be most effective in treating a pandemic strain of flu.

Demand has increased due to fears of the potential spread of bird flu.

"The priority is that there is enough Tamiflu for the people who need it at the start of the influenza season," Klauser told The Associated Press. "At the moment, there is no influenza currently circulating."

Supplies have become tight because governments and other organizations are stockpiling it in case the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu spreading from Asia to Europe mutates into a form that can pass easily to and between people, sparking a human flu pandemic.

For the rest of the story go to CNN for the story - Roche suspends Tamiflu to U.S. (http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/conditions/10/27/roche.tamiflu.ap/index.html)

vickiburton
10-27-2005, 06:55 PM
There is little to no danger from getting a flu shot. I hear people say they get sick from it, but, I think they are full of it. Some people have to have something to complain about.

As to whether you should take the Tamiflu and risk the side effects: just how sick are you? Would you rather suffer from the flu? If it's negotiable, why see a doctor?

FloppyLaPieu
10-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by vickiburton@Oct 27 2005, 06:55 PM
There is little to no danger from getting a flu shot.* I hear people say they get sick from it, but, I think they are full of it.* Some people have to have something to complain about.

As to whether you should take the Tamiflu and risk the side effects:* just how sick are you?* Would you rather suffer from the flu?* If it's negotiable, why see a doctor?

Some of the time the flu shot doesn't even work because it's based on a prediction of which strain is coming our way which isn't always right. Unless there is a really bad flu in the area and you're elderly or a young child or someone with a weak immune system, I wouldn't bother with the flu shot. Both my parents got the shot last year and they both got really sick and they aren't full of it. A friend of mine who's a nurse also came down with a mild flu after taking the shot. Doctor's get a lot of their information from pharmaceutical companies either directly or indirectly. If you're going to take Tamiflu (http://www.canadianpharmacychoice.com/tamiflu.html) then you should do your research .

Annette
10-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by vickiburton@Oct 27 2005, 06:55 PM
There is little to no danger from getting a flu shot.* I hear people say they get sick from it, but, I think they are full of it.* Some people have to have something to complain about.12277

I get a flu shot every year because I deal with seniors. And every year I'm "sick" for a few days after getting the shot. By "sick" I mean generally feeling unwell, lethargic, sometimes a little queasy. The same symptoms one generally has when they think they're "coming down" with something. And my arm where I get the shot usually hurts for several days - like someone punched me hard. Enough that I can't sleep on that arm because it's too painful.

But, it all just lasts a few days and if it keeps me from getting the flu (and passing it on to my clients) then it's worth it. While my system really doesn't react well to the flu shots, the reaction to the flu is much worse.

Ned
10-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by vickiburton@Oct 27 2005, 07:55 PM
There is little to no danger from getting a flu shot.* I hear people say they get sick from it, but, I think they are full of it.* Some people have to have something to complain about.12277

With all due respect, doctor, different people react differently to flu shots. Here's just two examples of people who aren't full of it, contrary to your medical opinion.

My father has been told by his doctor that he no longer should take the shot because of 4 consecutive years of increasingly severe reactions to it. A friend of mine got his flu shot on Monday and has been sick with flu symptoms since Wednesday. He hopes to be back at work on Monday.

If you have the flu, you see the doctor so hopefully it won't jump into something even worse.