PDA

View Full Version : TSA at PHL and LAX was actually professional

Ned
12-21-2011, 06:56 AM
Wow, it actually happened. TSA acted completely professionally on our trip to LA and our return home, during the last 10 days.

We always refuse to permit TSA to scan us in their full body scanners. At PHL they have the MMW type of scanners. While they may be safe, TSA nor the MMW scanner manufacturers have ever done any long term testing on their effects on humans, while at Los Alamos, testing with higher radiation level MMW waves showed they damaged human DNA. We just don't know what effect the MMW scanners have on the human body, for once a year air passengers, or once a week or month air travelers, and won't know until TSA stops stonewalling the testing of these machines.

Meanwhile, at PHL, Mrs. N. and I found ourselves in a magnetometer line, not the MMW line, so I sailed through, but Mrs. N. had to have a patdown due to her artificial knee. The woman who conducted the patdown, in the open (We always refuse a private screening. Our thinking is, if they can't do it in the open, they shouldn't be permitted to do it anywhere.) was totally professional. She explained what she was about to do at every step. The patdown took about 4 minutes, with most of the time explaining the procedure before the patdown of each body area, as opposed to the patdown itself. At no time was Mrs. N. groped, nor was her vaginal area touched, just her legs directly next to the vaginal area. At her breasts, the TSO touched her with the back of her hands, not the front.

At LAX, they had the dreaded backscatter x-ray scanners in operation. The type of scanner was clearly identified, although I it's easy to tell them from their appearance. In my opinion, these scanners, despite TSA's protests to the contrary, are dangerous. From what I can tell, TSA continues to underestimate the radiation levels from these machines by a full order of magnitude because they continue to use a person's full body weight in their calculations, not just the weight of the skin, as should be done. Moreover, any extra radiation which has no useful medical application is a dangerous, unnecessary irradiation of the human body. TSA doesn't need to use these scanners, and in fact shouldn't ever use x-ray scanning of humans.

Both Mrs. N and I opted out. In the past, TSA has been known to be punitive against air passengers who refused to go through their scanners. This was not the case at TSA at LAX this week. The TSO's who patted us down were as professional as the TSO who patted down Mrs. N. at PHL. In my case, like Mrs. N. I was never groped, and in fact, the TSO never touched my reproductive organ. This was unlike my experience last year when I was not only touched, but it was painfully pulled through my pants. (I should have worn tight pants, I guess, to prevent pulling, but they're too uncomfortable for flying.)

So Mrs. N. and I tip our hat to the TSO's we met at PHL and LAX.

On the other hand, I continue to call for the immediate resignation of TSA Administrator John Pistole who's intransigence in his refusal to have the full body scanners tested for safety by independent scientists and physicians is putting American citizen's lives in danger. Somewhere down the road, I have no doubt air travelers who would otherwise not get cancer, will get it, due to their exposure to the radiation from these scanners pushing their bodies' tolerance beyond their limit.

Moreover, these scanners are making us less safe by TSA's intransigent "ultimate testing" use of the full body scanners, which can't detect anything secreted in terrorists' body cavities, and even in thin bags of explosives taped to terrorist bodies, as has been proven by scientists in laboratory conditions. Were TSA's administrators intelligent there is no way they would depend on these scanners like they are doing.